Petition against MSMC for same sex freshmen housing

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition against MSMC for same sex freshmen housing.

2014-07-14 15:40

I feel as though us as student are old enough to make a decision of whether or not we would like a male/female in dorm rooms.

2014-07-14 15:40

I feel as though us students are old enough to make a decision whether or not to have a male/female in dorm rooms.

2014-07-14 18:35

I feel that we all should be treated as adults since all of us are. I feel that we are being treated as if we are still in middle school being separated from the opposite sex. I am not against a curfew of any matter, but I truly believe that we should be able to have female/male dorms combined. Thank you.

2014-07-14 22:00

I wouldn't have committed to MSMC if I knew they were going to change to same sex housing. I'm very upset with my decision to go here now because of the cruelty shown by msmc of robbing us of the full college experience.

2014-07-14 22:05

Where does any school have the right to make any sort of change right before the beginning of freshmen year? The board of trustee's decision, as ridiculous as it is, should be applied to next year. Students that will be attending this fall had no knowledge of any change about to take place. I believe many students would not have chosen Mount as their college if this rule was in effect beforehand. I am sincerely considering not sending my son to this college.

2014-07-15 00:50

The point of this ridiculous rule is to avoid rape or sexual actions of the opposite sex. There are lesbians and gay men attending MSMC. So a lesbian can still have their significant other into their dorm. I wouldn't be against a curfew but the fact that the opposite sex can't be in the same room is ridiculous. We are adults

2014-07-15 01:17

I would not have picked msmc as my college. I'm very unhappy, so is everyone else i have talked too. we are 18 years old not 5. I have less rules at home than i am going to have at college and thats ridiculous. We were not aware of this information at accepted students day, and when we were informed of the info it was too late. Everyone is going to be complaining all year and will be very unhappy that MSMC is not giving us the opportunity of the full college experience.

2014-07-15 01:34

Sign this.

2014-07-15 01:59

This college will never reach it's capacity with this new rule. New students will shy away from a school with same sex dorms, strict security and all the rules that. apply. If students were interested in this way of living they would attend an all girl
or all boy school. I was hesitant to have my child attend a Catholic college in the first place fir reasons like this. How dare any school make a drastic change like this at this late stage!!

2014-07-15 02:27

I, as an incoming freshman, feel that the whole rule about opposite sex visitors are not allowed in dorm rooms is completely ridiculous. I chose this college because it was close enough to home that my boyfriend from home could come visit me. I don't like how everyone assumes that if a boyfriend and girlfriend are in a dorm room together they are having sexual intercourse. In my eyes, if my boyfriend comes to visit me, that's the last thing on my mind. I agree with a comment above about lesbians and gays. They are making it seem that because we are straight, we are being punished in ways that don't make sense. Also, same sex stayovers aren't against the rules but opposite sex stayovers are. Nothing against lesbians and gays but we shouldn't be looked down upon like this. I feel bad for students in relationships that live far away from the Mount.

2014-07-15 02:27

This is an absolute atrocity. I am certain many of these poor students would agree that they were sold a false bill of goods here. With these plans obviously in the works table for some time, MSMC remained tight lipped until after they had collected countless tuition dollars. At orientation they chose to disclose these profound changes surely based in some type of religious pseudo-science nonsense. This is a violation of human rights at the least and conspiracy to defraud students, lenders and the government out of tuitions paid in advance of this news. The people running MSMC should really consider the implications of their heavy handed decisions before they end up deeply involved in the court system.

2014-07-15 02:39

I understand the point of the rule and why they made it but if anything it should be put in place next year, and the incoming freshman should be informed BEFORE they commit to the college, not after they've paid a deposit and attended orientation. We are 18 years old, I had less rules in high school.

2014-07-15 02:53

I am the Bonerking and I demand you sign this.

#14 Re:

2014-07-15 11:39

#11: -

Well put, you couldn't have said it better!!  This is absolutely a violation against human rights.  I think we should hire a lawyer

2014-07-15 12:16

I agree it was unfair to enact such drastic rule changes after the incoming freshman made their decision to come to the school as I'm sure it would've changed mine and many of theirs.

2014-07-15 13:02

I believe that it was unfair that such drastic rule changes were imposed AFTER the incoming freshman made their decisions as it would greatly effect the choice of most students. If these rules are kept in place MSMC can expect to see great declines in already small incoming class sizes and should seriously reevaluate their decisions from an economic and business perspective.

2014-07-15 13:32

As we are all well aware, sexual violations can occur, and have on most campuses, yet MSMC is the only one to set this insane rule in place. The incoming freshmen were informed during orientation, and the parents received notice immediately after, one month before the start of school. I would! have never agreed to have my son attend this school. I am looking into other alternatives, as I have not yet paid the tuition!!

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-07-15 15:51

2014-07-15 17:43

MSMC misrepresented themselves and a lot of people would not have chosen this school based on these new rules. It is unfair to make these changes after a student has committed to college. We are considering transferring in January.

2014-07-15 18:32

So upset and disappointed, wish I wasn't going here anymore.

2014-07-15 19:51

I think MSMC has now created a situation where instead of kids hanging out on campus in their dorms the students will leave campus to hang out with their friends. Students will go home or visit other campuses on weekend.

2014-07-15 21:21

We did not take our college decision lightly. As a family we researched and toured many campuses. On our accepted students tour at Mount Saint Mary College we liked at two dorms that we were told were coed and we would be able to choose. Clearly this isn't the case and it we were lied to. We would not have chosen this school we these rules for we thought we were sending our child to college not summer camp. Very upset,

2014-07-16 01:12

Changing this absurd rule so close to move in day is completely unacceptable. This is a big decision for many students and knowing that their co-ed dorms completely would have changed my decision to attend Mount Saint Mary College, along with many other people who I have already talked to. Students will try more and more to break the rules, leading to a campus no one wants to be on. It is unfair to change something about the college after everyone has already placed their deposit, as many students already want to transfer. It is completely unfair and doesn't give us the college experience at all. Isn't that what this new stage in our life is all about? I understand it's to protect us, but this is the time to learn our mistakes and realize the people we are supposed to be. They shouldn't have made this rule after sending in all of the money, because I without a doubt would have considered changing my decision. I get a different vibe from the campus now and it's completely unfair how no other college has rules like this, and no college would make these rules after everyone sent in their deposit already for the first year. We chose the school how it was when we applied, which was when it didn't have these absurd new rules. How does this give us the college experience that everyone says is so important and essential to go through to find out who you really are?

2014-07-16 01:22

Thats that ish I don't like

2014-07-16 02:12

This rule is so stupid if I knew it was going to be like this I would have never came to this school so many people are going to be leaving now because of this stupid rule hope they know how much money they are going to lose and I hope they know they will be finding problem like doin shit on the grass