To the Texas State Senate, Texas State Legislature Body and Driver Responsibility Program

2014-08-25 12:20

Already signed

2014-08-25 23:32

:)
Janie

2014-08-26 00:27

What is the name of the State Bill?  Who wrote it?  Where is it in the work flow?  How many signatures do you require?  How are they selling it to the people?

2014-08-28 00:11

Help the citizens instead of punishing them for life on not being able to pay with how the economy has been for years....

2014-09-19 20:12

I believe in a fair an balanced America and this petition it's trying to see to it that it is.

2015-03-03 18:08

Have there been any updates around this law or petition? I believe media coverage may be needed to get the Double Jeopardy view out to the public.  Thats how things get noticed unfortunately.  This must change.

Hannah

#7 The vicious cycle that is the driver responsibility program

2015-05-14 14:53

I am a single working mother who has spent thousands of dollars stuck in this surcharge trap since 2010 that all began with a "driving without financial responsibility" ticket while pregnant the prior year. I never even knew what a surcharge was when I paid the ticket off shortly after receiving it, until a year later when I get pulled over and asked the officer confused why he was pulling me over what the issue was since I thought I was obeying all traffic laws at the time. He said he was sitting behind me at the light and ran my plates, and saw my license was suspended, which I had no idea it even was at the time! I call Austin and that's when I learned about this whole scheme of the driver responsibilty program, but not without having received a ticket at that stop for driving with a suspended license, which in itself is an ADDITIONAL surcharge on top of the one I didn't know I had from driving uninsured the year before. Since then it turned into a vicious cycle that I struggled, WHILE finishing school AND as a single mom of 2, to get out of. Finally, 5 years, thousands of dollars, a couple arrests for driving with a suspended license ALONE, car towed 3 times, having lost my job for not being able to get to work, and sitting out tickets FOR the driving while license suspended tickets since I couldn't always pay them, I'm OH SO GLAD to have this demon off my back. I just received my degree in Business, work overtime every week, and in NO way consider myself a loser who "deserved this for breaking the law." This program hurts more than it helps! Lawmakers, listen to the people youi're supposed to serve!