Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services.

2014-10-16 23:25

It is disgusting what this city is doing! Smarten up people!

2014-10-16 23:34

Handicapped is handicapped -- whether it be physical or mentally !! What are the city councillors looking for here ?? More money for themsolves ?!?! Stop being so assinine !

2014-10-16 23:39

how can anybody with a mental illness perform the task of using the regular bus this is as sick as the city can get poor Canada to have people like these running our cities

2014-10-17 00:01

I am willing to bet that if upper employees of the city had a family member with any type of mental disorder, they would be wanting transportation for their family member. This is disgusting treatment of those that cant fight for their own rights.

2014-10-17 00:01

It seems like our city "The Greater City of Sudbury" keeps falling backwards in time instead of moving forward. We need more intellectual people in our corner...enough with ignorance
Chauck

2014-10-17 00:32

My son has autism as well and now resides in Toronto. While he is capable of riding the bus on his own, he needs to be directed when to get on and when to get off. Toronto and GO Transit drivers have been very accommodating. He and his house mates occasionally use Handi-Transit and never have any issues. My son, 47, is quite capable of very physical outbursts and at 185 Lbs can be destructive. Thankfully this hasn't been an issue with the buses as he enjoys riding. Drivers make certain he is seated when boarding and that he leaves at the proper location. Unfortunately the focus with this syndrome spectrum has been on the early years and little has been done to respond for adults. Community and Social Services Ministry could put a stop to this easily - simply inform Transit the funding will stop until there is a change. A disability is a disability - years ago we only heard of the physically disabled. I thought we were past that and had become properly inclusive. What a sad statement about those  responsible for this situation affecting so many of our vunerable citizens!Here's hoping those setting this stage never need these services.

2014-10-17 00:44

My niece is 3 years old, and has Autism Spectrum disorder. If her routine gets interrupted, her world is falling apart. This disorder, does not allow you to function at levels of someone who does not. Most autistic people do not have the basic life skills that allow them to be a functioning adult in our society. They wander, breakdown, and get very scared, sometimes with more violently physical behaviour, and it is all preventable with the right care. Taking this away from them is taking away a sense of security for them. Address the challenges you may be having without affecting the reason why this service exists.

2014-10-17 01:36

I use to drive the Handi Transit and these individual need this service. This is so so wrong.

2014-10-17 01:53

Another disgusting example of the farce that has been our council for the past four years.

2014-10-17 02:12

Its the same for my daughter, who is 21, intellectual disability, visually impaired, physically handicap with scoliosis, kyphosis, lumbar dosis, Arnold Chiarri malformation type 1, 4'7", anxiety and the list goes on... But she can speak and walk, So no service. DISCRIMINATION ...TOTALLY

2014-10-17 02:30

You have to be kidding me?!? In BC handidart is used specifically for developmentally delayed adults. I know this, because I work in the field. This disgusts me that my HOME province would condone any city discriminating like this. It's clearly a health and safety issue to have vulnerable adults take public transit. The public transit should have wheel chair ramps, and handidart or whatever that service is should be for peoe who are too vulnerable to take public transit. Disgusting.

2014-10-17 02:44

IMO this is a poor decision that needs to be rethought. There is a need for the existing service with the existing terms.

2014-10-17 02:46

Knowing this family personally, I can tell you that the decision to deny this young man transportation would be a travesty.

2014-10-17 02:52

this is pathetic, I have a soon who has global developmental delay, and if he needs a ride,I am expecting the city to cooperate with this. every individual had the right to be treated fairly and still have a little dignity.

2014-10-17 02:56

My grandson has to go to a school that provides him with the help he needs, it is no where near his home, so because of this he would need transportation, the handi bus is needed.

2014-10-17 03:42

this is yet another of sudburys disregard for people with special needs,having family and friends who use this mode of transportation and public transportation its just ridiculous and believe me sudbury transit will not treat them any better

2014-10-17 03:47

very sad :(

2014-10-17 04:13

Shameful!!!

2014-10-17 04:49

This is a definite step backward for helping persons with disabilities to be visible. What are you thinking? Self sufficient care givers who work full time and continue to raise children with special needs, without assistance from the city other than a bus ride, should be asked what can be done to make her load lighter. In this case they are asking parents to take on more care. When do they get a break? This is appalling! Who are the politicians working for? Certainly not their constituents that need help. Think again.

2014-10-17 05:28

One of the most underfunded and misunderstood are the people that suffer mental illness. It's time our city recognizes and addresses this extremely urgent problem.

2014-10-17 08:04

I work for CLGS and am disgusted that this is even being discussed, developmental clients are deserving of help from our City, just as physically disabled people are... They need not to be discriminated upon... This is an outrage! Please rethink!!

2014-10-17 09:16

I think the city has completely lost their minds

2014-10-17 10:19

that is so sad who in their right mind decided on this very sad to do that to disable people

2014-10-17 10:53

You know, its bad enough we get no help whatsoever from our government to help with costs of raising an autistic child.. Now they want to take away the handi transit.. What the hell is wrong with this country.. They have money for the welfare cases who dont deserve it but yet when a person really needs some help our government abandons you but they sure like to kiss your ass when they want your vote.. The descrimination has to stop. I have an autistic child and know all to well how hard it is to raise and fund for yourself.. I say fight it all the way and take them to court if nessessary. Its time people take a stand against the city and the ass who decided your child is not handicapped.. They have no clue what its like... Good luck

#25 What about basic human rights?

2014-10-17 11:07

This goes against the Human Rights Code of Ontario. The city could be sued over this kind of discrimination!