Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services.

2014-10-20 00:28

Put yourself in the shoes of these people. If you were someone with mentality of a three year old child, would you understand the public transit and know when to transfer or which stop is yours ? What if you had Alzheimer's would you or the people around you on a public transit bus understand. NO!Because your memory wouldn't allow you to and the people around them are selfish and rude.

2014-10-20 01:02

I am totally ashamed with the city decision on how they are assesing these people they need to educated themselves on the many different disabilities the people in this city face. it is very discriminating.I drive Handi Transit it breaks my heart to see what these people are having to go through. To save money,they are going about it the wrong way. I think all city council who are involved should ride our buses for a week to see the people we are transporting &,the connection we have with these people they are not just clients. We treat them like they are friends & family. We go the extra mile to make sure they are safe - get where they need to be safely.

2014-10-20 01:56

I can't believe that a city would do this, handicap does not always mean physical like not walking, it can be in different forms, wake up Sudbury....

#154 Re:

2014-10-20 02:34

#152: -  

Every rider and their families appreciate all you do for us. All of you make our lives easier. Thank you to all the handi transit drivers

Bradley Lauria' s family 

2014-10-20 11:47

From my website www.johnlundrigan.ca
Handi- Transit
We must also have a positive mandate to provide persons with disabilities and those who are unable to access conventional transit equal access to a transportation system so as to enhance their participation in all aspects of community life. Our goal must be to ensure that accessible, affordable transportation is provided in a dignified and respectful manner.

2014-10-20 14:12

I think this is totally disgusting, I guess those that made this decision, don't have a family member, that would be disqualified from the service
Shocked, yet not surprised…

2014-10-20 15:42

Ask the Mensa member who came up with this idea if he/she would allow an actual 3 year old that doesn't speak to take public transportation. Actually, don't, I am afraid what the answer might be. 

#158 Re:

2014-10-20 15:45

#4: -  

And am sure this happens, also, because they may have salaries and benefits that help cover costs... Everywhere, each section of every sector of every department of whichever political, medical, etc is fighting for their own funding, so bottom line it is all about the money.. Therefore it's the redistribution to transportation for the majority of the population, disabled in whichever form but also touching the adding population as well... When workers, get paid gas to work with clients and aren't able to help the client with specific needs, transportation or basic care needs aren't met, maybe transportation funding needs to be looked at in smaller divisions to help the clients, which are our families.. There is a cycle that ate not meeting the missing gaps in system Eben though sending of increase of services, its the accessibility.. Clients, families who don't have transportation or are limited can't access the'voluntary' programs.. Mental health plays an even bigger challenge because of the stigma of the way the'person presents' him or herself.. 

2014-10-20 16:05

Greater City of Sudbury... My Dictionary defines Handicapped individuals as - "Physically and MENTALLY Disabled". What does yours define it as? Let me guess, the SAME THING? So, then why all of a sudden have you chosen to Discriminate against the already, disadvantaged people in our Community!? Sad, to see how low you can actually go! And you call yourselves the GREATER city of Sudbury... Nothing actually even GREAT abut it, any more!

I was Born and Raised here and am completely disgusted by the way it is turning out to be "Not-so-Great city of Sudbury". ):
TJ BA Psy ECE

#160 Restricting access to Sudbury's handicap transit services

2014-10-20 16:55

The people making these decisions need to spend a day shadowing one of these individuals.   For some people living with mental illness, autism, intellectual impairments, etc., riding a city bus is a very stressful experience.  They generally are more easily frustrated than the average person and have more difficulty coping with sensory stimulus such as noise, especially when the bus is crowded.  Add to that the anxiety of having to remember which stop they need to get off at, the people who stare at them and the people they hear making fun of them.  I wouldn't want to leave the house if I had to deal with that every day.  It is essential for these individuals to have access to handicap services to enable them reach their full potential as human beings and live happy lives.  In my opinion it is cruel of city officials to  deny them access to transit.  Every human being has the right to be happy and reach their full potential.  We also have the responsibility to enable other to do so.

2014-10-20 18:32

I hope whoever becomes our new mayor puts a stop to this!

2014-10-20 18:44

I know this family and the mother does everything to keep her son living with her. She deserves relief and Handi Transport assures her that her son will be safe traveling to his day program. Sudbury must change it's policy to accommodate this family and other families in similar circumstances.

2014-10-20 18:53

Mother of a 9 year old son, whom has Autism

2014-10-20 19:08

this is a disgrace that the powers to be would even consider this action

2014-10-20 19:33

a disability does NOT need to be visible. The city of Sudbury needs to stop discriminating and accept all disabilities, physical and emotional; visible and invisible.
Sylvie

2014-10-20 20:08

This is shameful.  I certainly hope someone at our City Hall will stand up and take action.   Kudos to mom for taking action and bringing it to the public's eye.  Too often mentally ill patients are unable to speak for themselves.  Their needs get quietly swept away. 

2014-10-20 23:15

I think its terrible that people with mental disabilities continually need to fight government (every level) for some form of assistance. Shame on you all.
The municipality of Greater Sudbury just created another bureaucratic level of waste. Assessment by a physiotherapist to validate the use of a service for people with mental disabilities? Pardon?

2014-10-20 23:19

My mom is also mentally ill and has been denied access to handi transit.
I am ashamed of our citys decision!!!

2014-10-20 23:54

This is so absolutely horrible - who at city hall has their PhD to determine who is disabled. WOW WOW
Sherry Desjardins
The author of this petition

#170 Re:

2014-10-21 00:44

#168: -  

Please be assured we are fighting this as hard as we can

#171 Re:

2014-10-21 01:51

#13: -  

I know him as well, and you are absolutely right! 

2014-10-21 02:14

Disability comes in many different shapes and sizes. Not only has the city of Sudbury taken away his only safe mode of self transportation, they refuse service after he qualified for a pass and they have no appeal process. This is ridiculous and unacceptable.

2014-10-21 02:24

The City is trying to go cheap and are complaining they are getting more people needing service. Just because you can walk does not mean you are not disabled.

2014-10-21 03:04

Wow! Not a good decision. Let's bring the Handi Transit back to those who need it.

2014-10-21 03:08

Great idea. You may also consider advising your member of parliament of this. Going public scares the heck out of these folks