Change the High School zoning for Silverton

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Change the High School zoning for Silverton.

2014-10-20 23:08

It's time this is changed.

2014-10-20 23:47

Also so change the time kids go to school to make it more safe.

#3 I WILL NOT SIGN

2014-10-21 00:44

abcdef

What is the basis for this petition? Is one child having a problem adjusting to high school at TRN so the parents are blaming the school and the alignment? I'm sure a majority of the families in the Silverton area that have or had children go to TRN, realize their children are in a better place and getting a better education then they would be at TRE.

Students are happier at TRN campus because of the feel they get when they step on it. They first feel a sense of pride by just looking at the beauty of it, and then they get a sense of safety and comfort by the attentive security and staff that greet them. Then the motivation they get from the experienced and engaged faculty working with them breeds success.

The shame of this is that TRE and TRS are not like TRN ... It is a shame that you don't have consistency between the 3 schools.

I feel my child is having the best HS experience at TRN. You always have had the ability to take your child to whatever TR school you choose. If you are unhappy with the education your child is receiving, I would first look at myself and the support I am giving him/her. Then look at the child and his or her attitude and will to learn. If you want to, take them to another TR school, why inflict your unhappiness on other families. You have a choice so make the best choice for your family and leave ours alone.

abcdef

2014-10-21 00:49

Original petition has merit.  Well stated!!!

#5 DITTO #3

2014-10-21 00:50

The people signing this petition have no clue! Their kids are probably in Silverbay now and they are signing with blinders on. Ask someone who has a kid at TRN about the experience they are having there. You will think twice!

2014-10-21 00:53

Have you seen East??? It looks like a prison.

Fight for your kid!

#7 Let's look at the numbers

2014-10-21 01:21

TRN is over crowded take the Silverton kids that go to IE and let them go the HS East! Do the numbers 500 freshman vs 250 the small handful that go to North from Silverton should go to East! Why is SilverBay the only school that is split? Who wants to listen to the BS that's how it's always been well it 2014 It NEEDS TO BE CHANGED! 

#8 Petition is misleading!!

2014-10-21 01:25

abcdef

The petition is misleading. It makes it sound like North is over crowded when in fact, North is a larger facility than East and can handle the larger enrollment. Even though the North freshmen class is twice as large as the one at East, the student/teacher ratio remains almost the same for the entire school. The fact is East's ratio is at 14:1 and North is at 15:1. Not what the petition would have you believe! In fact, if you move the Silverton area students to East, their ratio will increase to a number higher than North’s.

abcdef

#9 #7

2014-10-21 01:26

You cannot just pick any TR School you want your child to go to. Things have changed a lot in the past several years. You have to apply for a transfer. And it doesn't guarantee that you will get it. If it was as easy as choosing what school you wanted your child to attend, then there wouldn't be a petition!

This petition has nothing to do with the appearance of the schools, the quality of education, etc... 

Everyone has their own reasons for signing the petition. If you don't want to sign it, so be it! That's your choice. No need to leave a somewhat nasty comment. If your children are happy at their school, that's great! But that's all your opinion. But we are signing this petition because it's our opinion and choice to do so...

#10 Re: Let's look at the numbers

2014-10-21 01:28

#7: Fight for your kid! - Let's look at the numbers  

I'm all about fighting for my kid but have facts before you do. Read #8 .. those are hard facts.

#11 Re: I WILL NOT SIGN

2014-10-21 01:31

#3: - I WILL NOT SIGN 

very stated, I totally agree!!!

#12 Not signing!

2014-10-21 01:35

Thank you #8 for finding facts.

Lk

#13 Re: DITTO

2014-10-21 01:54

#5: - DITTO 

I signed even though it won't effect me. I have a graduate and a sophomore at North. I feel the kids would be better off at East. They leave all their friends from TRIE behind and go to a school where they know very few kids. They TRIN kids all have their clicks and don't have a need for new friends. It is the same district and so therefore they are getting the same education with the benefit of smaller class sizes. 

#14 Re: Petition is misleading!!

2014-10-21 01:57

#8: - Petition is misleading!! 

There are teachers being split between the 2 schools to accommodate the fact that TRN numbers have gone up and Easts have gone down. 

#15 Re:

2014-10-21 02:00

#6: -  

Maybe but at least it has central air. 

#16 Re: I WILL NOT SIGN

2014-10-21 02:06

Just for the record. You are obviously unaware of the fact that you can NO LONGER take you child to any school you want in the Toms River School District.  If that was the case, do  you think this person would create this petition??

#17 Re: Re: Petition is misleading!!

2014-10-21 02:07

#14: - Re: Petition is misleading!! 

That's not an alignment issue, that's a staffing issue. The fact is the facility is larger and the ratio is almost the same. Also, my opinion is East's drop in numbers may just be temporary due to the loss of families from Sandy. They will come back.

#18 Re: I WILL NOT SIGN

2014-10-21 02:07

Are you implying East is not safe? My honor student kids have had some crappy teachers at North that just watch movies or gossip with the girls. Doesn't matter which school they are in. 

#19 Re: Re: I WILL NOT SIGN

2014-10-21 02:08

#16: - Re: I WILL NOT SIGN 

There would still be a petition because the busing would not be provided should they choose another school.

#20 Re: DITTO #3

2014-10-21 02:11

#5: - DITTO #3 

Ask me!!!  I have a freshman at HSN and she is miserable because all of her peers are at HSE!!  This issue is not about what school is bigger, better, less drugs, prettier, etc.  This is solely about the fact that every single child in this district is provided the opportunity to remain with their social peers from intermediate school through senior year EXCEPT FOR THE KIDS FROM SILVERTON AND SQUIRE VILLAGE.  So take your child from his/her peers at ninth grade and put him/her in a new school without them and then answer this petition.  

Offended

#21 Re: I WILL NOT SIGN

2014-10-21 02:19

#22 Re: Re: I WILL NOT SIGN

2014-10-21 02:24

#21: Offended - Re: I WILL NOT SIGN 

How dare you trash HS East and profess them to be inferior to North!!! My 3rd and 4th children are currently in East and my oldest 2 have already graduated...It's about whats best for the kids and I've seen it with MANY of my kids friends....they don't want to go to North and be separated from the kids they've bonded with...I'm eternally grateful that my kids don't go to a school that is nicknamed "Heroin High" by the town of Toms River...Shame on you...Look at the big picture...each HS is a part of Toms River....

#23 Re: Re: DITTO #3

2014-10-21 02:26

#20: - Re: DITTO #3 

I've had kids go to North from the Silverton area. They went to Intermediate East and were split from their peers. They had no problem fitting in and had a wonderful experience at North. They got involved in the school community through sports and activities and were treated normally. They excelled in their classes and still socialized with their friends from East. To this day, they still communicate with their friends from East and their home, North.

What you get out of it, is what you put in to it!

#24 Re: Re: Re: I WILL NOT SIGN

2014-10-21 02:28

#22: - Re: Re: I WILL NOT SIGN 

Offended- I agree with you. Please sign and share the petition. We have been putting up with this for too long. 

#25 Re: Re: Re: Re: I WILL NOT SIGN

2014-10-21 02:34

#24: - Re: Re: Re: I WILL NOT SIGN 

I'm signing!!!!