Off-leash dog parks SLC

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Off-leash dog parks SLC.

2015-01-28 02:09

It's about time we have someplace for our four legged friends to get together with others of their kind.

2015-01-28 02:19

Any new dog parks need to be at the very minimum, three to four acres. With water for swimming or wading and drinking and shade. The existing dog parks are too confining especially for larger breed dogs that need space to run and run and run some more. They are also over crowded. There is land between 4500 south and Murray Holiday road at about 1500 east. A portion of Dimple Dell Canyon could also be set aside. There are also several places along the Jordan River Parkway that could be set aside. If the city or county ever decides to close a golf course for lack of use or funds, (this was talked about on the news last fall) all or part of the course could be used for a dog park.
Linda

#3 Re:

2015-01-28 04:30

#2: -  

I agree with you 100%.  In fact, those locations are some I  had in mind as well as potential dog parks.  Excellent suggestion about a golf course, too.  

If anyone has any other ideas for potential off-leash areas, please share!  

2015-01-28 05:18

Please help us recreate with our beloved pets in areas close to home and that are open for play!

2015-01-28 06:43

Please! We all need places to play off leash. You can't play ball/ fetch on a leash.

2015-01-28 17:40

I would love to have more places to take my dogs, I've struggled with infertility so my dogs are my kids I enjoy taking them to parks just as much as a Mom of a human baby does, there just is not enough of them for my kids and I and the demand is high, being a dog person in the city it is nice to have a safe places where my dogs can run and play.

2015-01-28 20:43

everywhere needs to be dog friendly!

2015-01-29 05:49

I don't have kids I have dogs. My dogs are my kids. I'd like to see some of my tax dollars go to my kids by providing us with more off leash areas.

2015-01-29 16:55

Proper dog ownership requires proper outlets for dogs to be dogs. Limiting where they can go and run makes that extremely difficult.

2015-01-30 02:54

I used to take my dog to an unofficial area near Bywater park. Our quality of life was so much better before that area was declared off limits. I work and have kids' activities so I don't have time during the week to drive 45 minutes to a dog park. If it helps, I would be willing to make a financial contribution to help create/maintain a dog park in the Cottonwood Heights Area.

2015-01-30 02:58

This is highly needed in the salt lake city area. I have moved from out of state, and was suprised at how few options there were to take my dog for exercise and socialization. As a resident, I would be willing to help pay for the opening of new off leash parks.

2015-01-30 03:27

As a disabled retiree who has paid property taxes in Cottonwood a Heights for 30 years now, I feel like my tax dollars are supporting everyone's needs but mine. I live alone and having a dog for both companionship and safety reasons is vital to my well being. My pet needs more exercise than I can provide without compromising my health. Walking on leash doesn't provide the opportunity for energetic animals to run, play and socialize with other dogs plus I benefit from interacting with other dog owners. Being unwilling to accept liability for an off leash park is a complete cop-out by the city and a discriminatory disservice to citizens and community. Please, it's time to step up and provide this essential service. I would be so very grateful.

2015-01-30 14:32

We absolutely need more off leash dog parks, dogs make better families, they teach kids responsibility and show love and affection. And the more love we give them the more love they give us!!!

2015-01-30 20:25

would like to have off leash park in cottonwood heights

2015-01-30 22:35

We need off leash dog parks where we can depend on not being kicked out because other groups want the area ! This is what happens to dog owners every time we have a park we are able to share , usually for only a short time most of us are people no longer having children at home .we are also biger tax payers than the parents that think every thing is all about them and there offsprings !

2015-01-31 15:29

Please consider the health and well being of the dogs. They need to socialize, meet, and play with other dogs and people. It makes a happy, friendly, better behaved dog. Fine people who don't pick up after their dogs. Don't take it out on the dog.

2015-01-31 21:28

I would like to see a portion of the County East Cottonwood park designated as an off-leash area for dogs. There have been dog walkers there for many years, and now local taxpayers are being harassed for having dogs off leash, to the extent that dogs are now being impounded and their owners penalized unnecessarily. It's excessive. All this, plus helicopter surveillance are reasons why many local citizens and pet owners are up in arms.

#18 Re:

2015-01-31 21:38

#1: -  

#19 Re: Re:

2015-01-31 21:58

#18: - Re:  Need for off-leash dog parks

As our population continues to grow, the need for space for our dogs to run free and meet and play with other dogs has become an issue that needs to be addressed by city governments in the areas where people who have dogs live.  It is no fun to always walk with our dogs leashed.  I don't think people who own dogs should live in fear of being apprehended and fined if they allow their pet to run free on occasion and play with other dogs.  Big Cottonwood Regional Park on 4500 South and 12th East is an example of taxpayers being harrassed by county animal control officers,  fined, and their dogs impounded because they were off leash (causing no one trouble). We caring citizens cause much less trouble than many of our population who cause real trouble.  Please provide space for our dogs to run free but not out of control. Progressive county government action should take place to allow areas where we can walk with our unleased dogs.

2015-02-01 00:59

The health and vitality of our dogs has a direct correlation to our own well being. We are all happier when they can run, interact and be dogs. Both are a rescued hunting
breed that is notorious for following their noses. Thus the canyons are not an option for us. We would be willing to pay a fee to exercise them in a large (ballfield) size enclosed area. Screening would also be welcomed. We already pay zap taxes and general fund taxes and utilize little of the recreational benefits. FREE THE DOGS

2015-02-01 23:35

Way to go. Snooks thanks you

2015-02-02 18:29

Dog owners love their dogs and go to extraordinary and sometimes inconvenient measures (in travel) to ensure the health and welfare of their beloved canines. Exercise, by allowing dogs to run freely is a great way to achieve optimal health, well-being and bonding/socializing with other dogs, not to mention their owners social time. There is something about a dog on a leash that modifies their personality to where positive socializing with other dogs or people is difficult. We live in a giving and charitable community and people of supportive and participate in dog adoptions to give homeless pets a life. It feels like a missing link between adopting breeds requiring exercise who need to run, swim, sniff, play etc, but not offering good, friendly off-leash parks. Dogs learn that other dogs are just like them and play and bond, without a need to protect and fight. Has any thought been given to making certain parks off leash, such as, on odd days etc? That way those without dogs may have their time to walk/gather/talk, and those with dogs have time to enjoy their best friend ever, their dog.

2015-02-03 21:38

Dogs behave better when they are socialized. In order to socialize our dogs they need a place to meet, run and play. A social dog is a happy dog.

2015-02-04 14:55

Dogs have rights too!

2015-02-04 15:57

I agree that we need more off leash areas but I also feel that dog owners need to be responsible and clean up their dog's poo.  Another concern is those out of control aggressive dogs who should be on a leash.  I feel these two reasons are why many cities don't allow more off leash areas.