Support a change in Rail Electrification design

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Support a change in Rail Electrification design.

2015-03-18 11:22

I signed because i find it incredible how network rail have bulldozed this ugly structure through, with no apparent thought to those whose lives are personally and visually impacted by it. The cost is horrendous and the look of it is abhorrant. We used to live in a beautiful country, but the authorities seem to think that change and improvement has to be vulgar.

2015-03-18 13:11

There are alternative designs that Network Rail could and should use through this AONB. When the CEGB wanted to put pylons through Goring Gap in the 1960's public pressure forced them to bury the cables. This generation also has a responsibility to safeguard our environment.

2015-03-18 19:19

The electrification of the line is welcome, but where the line runs through an AONB in an embankment the visual impact must be mitigated. A gantry redesign and extensive tree planting must be done to reduce visual impact and noise pollution.

2015-03-18 19:25

The Goring Gap lies within two areas of outstanding natural beauty and Network Rail should take all steps necessary to ensure that the construction of electrification equipment does as little harm as possible to the visual appearance of this unique area.

2015-03-18 22:01

We are privileged to live in an outstandingly beautiful area and the impact of the project has been devastating. I understand the project is underway but at the very least the trees that have been removed should be replaced courtesy of network rail to soften the impact on our incredible landscape.

2015-03-19 06:33

The proposed form of electrification will be a blight on this AOL!

2015-03-19 23:08

The cruder form of overhead gantries will completely alter the character of this stretch of the line and the surrounding countryside, even a few shielding trees would help a great deal

2015-03-20 08:29

We live in an AONB and little if anything seems to have been done by Network Rail to minimise the visual impact of the proposed electrification.

2015-03-20 08:32

South Stoke is within an area of outstanding natural beauty and the colour and size of the pylons and proposed cross pieces will have a severe impact on the area

2015-03-20 17:23

We live in the lovely village of south stoke right next to the railway line. We have already contacted network rail regarding the electrification of the line as soon as we heard that it was definitely going to happen. We have not had any satisfactory response from either Network rail or our local MP. They have erected the structure right outside our front room window and removed the only tree that would have perhaps have softened the view even though it was not very close to the position where they stuck this eye sore. They have had no consideration for the local villagers and have not even the decency to respond to our emails.

2015-03-20 17:27

These overhead gantries are devasting to the appearance and character of our beautiful village

2015-03-20 20:00

I highlighted our concerns to network rail on 29th November 2012 as this infrastructure has a particularly negative impact on our property value at newtown cottages. Frankly complaining now Seems like the horse has left the field however we highlighted this as soon as we were aware of plans ref network rail sr3346926 as richard turner from network rail could not resolve our issue we referred to our local mp john Howell on 24th June 2014. John wrote to network rail however to date despite further requests has not received a response from network rail that we are aware of. We amongst 5 other houses in the village are the very most affected by these works. The loss of property value and the consequence of the high voltage directly alongside the house we live in with our two small children should be considered or at the very least responded to.

2015-03-21 07:39

Intrusive appearance in an Area of Natural Beauty.
Unnecessary and avoidable

2015-03-21 10:26

Because from my house I used to have a lovely view of Streatly Hill but now we have great big ugly metal structures put up all along the railway line.

2015-03-21 11:39

We came to live in South Stoke over 20 years ago because of its beautiful location and this is being ruined by British Rail.

2015-03-21 12:44

Because there is an alternative and certain parts of Oxfordshire are stunning and do not need steel portals looming in the distance

2015-03-21 21:03

Because I believe that Raitrack have not taken into account the fact that they are about to ruin one of the best areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in the country. They clearly have blatant disregard for the need for a sympathetic approach to the design of the gantries that they are using.

2015-03-21 21:44

As a keen watercolour artist I care about the visual impact of the steel gantries.

2015-03-22 16:27

Electrified railways are horrendously ugly even in an urban environment.
Electric pylons are not allowed in the Goring Gap in order to protect the area of outstanding natural beauty.
The electrified line should be designed to have minimal impact. The environment of the Thames valley between Reading and Oxford is infamous for its beauty and many visitors come to Streatley to admire the outstanding and far reaching views along the valley from the National Trust Hill Lardon Chase. This view should not be blighted.
I have been horrified to see the decimation of trees along the railway line which is now visible in many rural areas where it was not before.
I cannot understand why the impact upon the beautiful environment has not been given consideration.

2015-03-22 17:22

The current steel posts erected by Railnetwork will have a huge, detrimental impact on this unspoilt area. They can be seen from my house across the river in Moulsford. I would ask why they have not been painted green to blend as much as would be possible with the surrounding beautiful scenery ? Is there a plan to plant large/tall trees to help screen this ugly development and if not, why not ?
Christine Ferry

2015-03-22 19:50

Have lived in the area for 40 years and cannot bear to see it
defaced by ugly ironmongery,

2015-03-22 22:49

Because I support wire head spans as opposed to the proposed overhead spans or pylons, as they will be far less intrusive in this very beautiful part of the countryside.

2015-03-23 08:54

I can see the new metalwork from my house and am amazed that it is seen as appropriate for an area of ONB

2015-03-23 13:43

I feel strongly that this major investment should have taken more account of the visual impact on the beautiful countryside. At least the gantries could have been a less obtrusive colour

2015-03-25 19:06

Because they are ugly, intrusive monstrosities- even my 2 children have commented that the poles can be seen for miles across the whole of an AONB