South powys schools rethink.

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition South powys schools rethink..

2015-03-17 21:10

Absolute ludicrous where is the thought for the young learners going from a rural school to a failing town school. A town school that roughly 40/50 pupils already are being transported privately to Gwernyfed as it is a safe rural school. Listen to pupils! They don't want this.

2015-03-17 21:15

I would like my kids to attend the Welsh stream of Brecon high
Think they are suggesting that Welsh language for brecon will be done in Builth?

#3 Re:

2015-03-17 21:22

#2: -  

2015-03-17 21:57

This is precisely the problem with independent councillors. They can make decisions in other areas of Powys to their own and there is no consequence for them. For years in Powys independent councillors have made terrible decisions and shrugged them off at election time as 'nothing to do with me gov'. I do not think Powys County Council will improve until it is run by a political group who will be responsible to the electorate and their Parties. Also what accountability for the current Chief Executive of Powys who was in charge 5 years ago when a similar proposal was put forward (and the closing of a number of small schools in the meantime). It is like Groundhog Day. It's as if these people don't want young people in Powys, but given the debacle with Dom Care they don't look after older people either. It is a disgrace. 

2015-03-17 22:18

Because this will affect my children

2015-03-17 23:12

They need to think of the children's education that are at stake. This will ruin the current year 7&8's GCSE's. PCC haven't thought of the costs for travel from Hay-On-Wye, Talgarth etc to Brecon on the busses. PCC need to rethink their priorities, education is a priority, however why don't they just refebish our schools and spend money elsewhere? 

2015-03-18 07:05

This should never happen in a rural area! Students travel far enough as it is and you can't plant a large 'city-esque' style school in a rural environment. It's not fair to expect students and staff to travel this distance. You will be breaking up a community and will be trying to create something that will not work. Attendance will become more of an issue. Please avoid this at all costs. Small schools are worth it in the long term. Think about the people and the communities.

2015-03-18 07:12

Feel strongly this is not a sensible decision

2015-03-18 08:16

Because the idea of an almagamation is stupid. kids would spend half their day travelling to school.

2015-03-18 20:42

This would affect my children as residents of Brecon. Brecon and Radnor are very rural countryside and would not do well as a super school

2015-03-19 10:33

We live in Hay and my daughter will be going to Gwernyfed in 4 years. It is not in the best interests of local children to close this school. Closing it will have a negative impact on kids' education and their general wellbeing, home and social life.

2015-03-19 11:00

Because We don't want to have one big high school in Brecon but keep the 2 seperate high schools. Gwernyfedd is a good school & needs to stay.

#13 Madness.

2015-03-19 13:39

I have not signed this petition. 

Is it better to keep Gwernyfed and Brecon crumbling away, hemmorhaging money, operating on dwindling student numbers and on special measures (in Brecon's case)??? You offer no viable alternative and you can't just ignore the bottom line. I'm sure the people signing this will be the first to condemn the 20% hike in council tax that will be required to afford it in a few years if nothing changes. 

Childrens' education is at stake so surely it would be better to have a big state of the art school that would give students access to a broader range of options?? 

2015-03-25 18:16

I actually think it's a good idea. If a larger better resourced school gives my children opportunity then that has to be a good thing. Both schools buildings are wholly inappropriate to teach in a modern way. Change is unsettling but for the sake of all (learners and teachers) embrace the challenge and change and turn the negativity into something positive,  a £50m investment in an educational establishment for our learners now and in the future. 

#15 Astounding Stupidity

2015-03-28 15:56

With no regard for the children & communities affected, Powys CC want to sacrifice Gwernyfed so they can get funding for a new school for the people of Brecon. The result? Children spending up to 3 hours a day on the bus. Children excluded from after school sports teams, music clubs etc. as they live too far from a school & must start the journey home. Children too tired to undertake effective homework after a 10 hour day at school/on the bus. Communities devoid of working age families, who don't want to live in an area without schools. Communities dying away as the life is drained out of them. Rural businesses failing. Social care costs rising for a rural population increasingly made up of old people. Well done Powys - you will fail the people and businesses of the county in the most fundamental ways possible, and then those responsible will retire or step down from their council positions with impunity, leaving the mess for others to live with.

2015-03-28 16:10

So Powys CC's grand plan to deal with their financial problems is to pretend that the county ends at Felinfach. Screw everyone else - just so long as Brecon gets its new school. If only I were as clever as those geniuses who we somehow allow to run the Council. We need to follow England's lead and take local authorities out of the education process - PCC keep showing us again and again that they can't be trusted with it.