Save Mecca bingo hornchurch

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Mecca bingo hornchurch.

Billie

2015-07-15 00:15

Mecca Hornchurch has been a place of comfort and friendship for many, many years for certain members. Mecca Hornchurch doesnt just offer a night of fun playing bingo, but a huge support for many of the vulnerable players. It means they don't have to spend another night indoors on their own , grieving, bored, lonely...they can come to Mecca Hornchurch (which is on their doorstep) and forget about their worries for a few hours, simply by chatting to staff, customers and generally being in a warm, welcoming environment. 

I worked for Hornchurch for 5 years and have seen what a difference this small, intermate club has made to people's lives, in some cases...saved them. the big bosses' have put profit before 'their people' and are willing to leave hundreds of old and vulnerable adults without a support unit they feel comfortable in and many more people without a job. 

I really hope the people of Hornchurch stand together and save this 'big family home' as I dread to think what will happen to the hundreds of customers who rely on them. 

2015-07-22 11:17

I'm 83 and go regularly to play at the Hornchurch bingo club , have made many friends there, it would be a shame for it to close down as no other facility like this is in the Hornchurch area

2015-07-25 18:05

My mother lived nearby, but sadly died May 2015, but for many years was a regular customer. It was an enjoyable and safe place to go, it would be awful for the elderly locals to lose this social venue.

2015-07-28 19:40

This must be a listed building, but apart from that local people enjoy the entertainment Bingo provides. This is the only one in our part of Essex. Players come from far afield to play and have fun.
If part of the car park is sold off, so be it, BUT DO NOT DESTROY THIS HISTORIC BUILDING.

2015-07-31 13:52

This is a historical building built in the1930's. Hornchurch had an air force base in WW2 and it was vital for recreation. The Towers Cinema is part of out heritage. It is a monument to everything good about the past. We love it.

2015-08-01 11:58

It's important to retain the facade of this art deco building, It's a valuable piece of local history pertaining to Grey Towers and early development of the town. Whilst it may not remain as a bingo hall, it's stunning architecture should be protected (listed?) for the future generations of Hornchurchonians to enjoy and admire.

2015-08-02 20:31

We go quite often and it is always well used by residents.

2015-08-07 16:07

I visit the bingo as much as i can and it has an excellent communtity feel

2015-08-07 16:10

I visit this bingo hall when i visit my son. I love this place and it will be a sad loss if it closes

2015-09-09 15:50

Come and show your support on Facebook 'Save the Mecca Towers Building' page :-)

2015-09-09 21:09

Grew up in upminster and went to school in hornchurch. Remember this building well. Be very sad to lose such a big part of horn church's history.

2015-09-09 23:45

Because me and my friends enjoy going there for many years and are parents and grandparents have also enjoyed many years having a night out with friends at bingo. Also its been there for so long its got history and if it was closed down it would be a sad thing. Local People for many years have enjoyed the fact that they have a local bingo hall they can go to for a night out.However if it closes other bingo halls are to far away for the majority of members to travel which is a sad situation. I can not understand why this bingl hall would be closed down
Bettyboop1

2015-09-09 23:48

Because me and my friends enjoy going there for many years and are parents and grandparents have also enjoyed many years having a night out with friends at bingo. Also its been there for so long its got history and if it was closed down it would be a sad thing. Local People for many years have enjoyed the fact that they have a local bingo hall they can go to for a night out.However if it closes other bingo halls are to far away for the majority of members to travel which is a sad situation. I can not understand why this bingl hall would be closed down

2015-09-15 16:28

This building is part of Hornchurch and should remain. Too many historic buildings have disappeared already. It would be nice if it is used as an entertainment centre still.

2015-09-15 16:30

We have heard that this will be a Lidl, which we need like a hole in the head!

2015-09-15 16:35

If the rumour is correct I would like to know the justification for the decision. It would be interesting to have Mr Rossendale's view on this subject.

2015-09-20 17:41

I don't know how demolishing this building can even be considered, it's our heritage. Why do we need three supermarkets almost next door to each other in such a small high street, it's just pure greed.

2015-09-20 18:57

This beautiful building should never be destroyed it has so much history and for me great memories. This is shameful

2015-09-21 08:27

I'm sick of seeing historic buildings demolished to make way for flats new office building and supermarkets. We wont have anything left in Havering of historic value if the LA and developers have their way. We could lose an historic pub near Romford dog track and now the Hornchurch Bingo hall. One building I wouldn't shed any tears about losing would be Havering Town hall and the entire council. They would not be missed.
Peter

#20 Re: Saving the Towers, Hornchurch

2015-09-21 10:01

#1: Billie -  

I represent the national Cinema Theatre Association, and we are also campaigning to have this superb cinema listed and saved. We have sent a full listing case based on its history and architectural quality to Historic England. They are assessing it on their quickest possible timetable. 

2015-09-21 11:07

my sister used to take me to saturday morning pictures in the early fifties,great times.its an iconic building and must have historic value.its part of our village for so many people of all ages and would be a sad day to lose it ..

2015-09-21 12:50

This is a historical building that should preserved for the community to enjoy - not for private developers for profit. I suggest a live music venue or comedy bar that encourages local creative performances

2015-09-21 13:15

Surely the façade and interior should be protected?! Hornchurch does not need another supermarket!!

2015-09-21 20:19

This is an historic part of hornchurch and with so many shops coming and going, demolishing this building to make way for a shop which will only last a number of years is a disgrace. We should be investing and encouraging refurbishment of iconic buildings, not smashing them down
Martin

2015-09-21 20:29

Absolute disgrace to demolish. If it has to be a supermarket keep the beautiful facade as ttescos did in collier row

martin spencer