St Georges Road, OBESRVATORY: JRA SAFETY UPGRADE APPROVAL

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition St Georges Road, OBESRVATORY: JRA SAFETY UPGRADE APPROVAL.

2015-08-27 09:10

Ridiculous and dangerous speed driven by cars (and lately trucks delivering sand to the golf course!) down St George's road- presenting a real danger to children and animals

2015-08-27 09:19

I live on the corner of St George's Rd and East street on top of the hill people race down St George's and overtake on the blind spot on top of the hill a dangerous spot people can get killed.

2015-08-27 09:51

St George Street has presented a problem with speeding vehicles for many years. There are kids, runners, cyclists, and pedestrians in the area that are in constant danger of irresponsible motorists. Speed bumps would be fantastic!

2015-08-27 10:08

I have witnessed the speeding on St Georges Street - I have been overtaken on many occasions while trying to keep to the speed limit

I think we need speed humps in Klip Street - cars come speeding downhill driving east to west especially on downhill at Fourie Street

2015-08-27 10:09

ST GEORGES IS LIKE A RACETRACK!

2015-08-27 10:22

Very dangerous speeds of vehicles, incl Mini taxis, often carrying school children

2015-08-27 10:25

In the hope of stopping the road being a speedway.

2015-08-27 10:25

Too many truck speed along this road
AZ

2015-08-27 10:35

I wish to insist that the measures taken (specifically hump or bump in the road) NOT be unreasonable in so far as they pose a risk of damage to vehicles that drive over them at a safe legal speed. Too many bumps in the roads in JHB are just too excessively high or steep that a regular road-worthy and not over-loaded vehicle gets scraped and damaged by traveling over them.
Also ideally any measures should only enforce the legal limit of 60 km/h and not reduce the safe and comfortable speed limit of this (or any regular road for that matter) to less than 50 or 40 km/h (unless in extra-ordinary circumstances a greatly reduced speed is imperative for e.g. a hair-pin bend or notoriously dangerous accident/collision prone corner etc. [otherwise basically the speed of all JHB roads is slowly going to be 20km/h !!!])

2015-08-27 11:29

There is an essential need to make this road safer. Children walk home from school, people run, cycle and walk their dogs on this road and the hazardous driving and speeding on this road is out of control. We also need cameras to make the whole suburb safer there have been numerous break-in's and armed robberies.

2015-08-27 11:36

The installation of speed bumps will stop drivers using St. Georges Rd as a racing track and the cameras will help identify who the culprits are and for security reasons.

2015-08-27 11:39

The crime rate, speeding cars, littering and general excess of people travelling through this quiet residential road and area have made living here very dangerous. We have been burgled twice in the last 5 months! Both occasions the intruders were violent resulting in one of our granchildren being shot and wounded! Muggings in the street are also regular.

2015-08-27 11:47

We often have to turn onto St George's and often witness the speed at which people drive especially downhill. I have witnessed trucks overtaking each other on this road.

2015-08-27 12:15

St. Georges Road is a local race track. Rules of the road are generally ignored - twice I have encountered a vehicle overtaking on the wrong side of the road on a blind rise - the second time was today; the solid white line means nothing ! Taxis often use this route to avoid police road blocks on Observatory Avenue.

2015-08-27 12:17

This is so urgent and many years overdue.

2015-08-28 10:37

I live in the area and I want the reckless driving and criminal activities to be stopped

2015-08-28 18:52

I have been living in St George's st in the last 15 years. During this time we tried to get permission to install speed humps, without success. I am happy this process is being revived.
We really do need speed humps for rod safety because of speedying drivers - its even a challenge reverse into the street from the yard.

Cameras, yes because thieves hide in th golf course

2015-08-30 04:31

Because i live in the area and agree

Anonymous

2015-08-30 09:17

I have seen daily, over more than a decade, how cars speed up and down St Georges Road (13yrs). St Georges Road is a main thoroughfare for many neighbourhoods. The traffic streams are incessant with various peak-hours, especially in the mornings and evenings.

Since 4 June 2015 we have seen thousands of industrial soil-carrying trucks speeding with dangerous momentum down St Georges Road - daily - in both directions - for the full 2.4kms that make up this stretch of St Georges Road - between the Innes and Aida Road intersections.

The obs golf course indicates that there may be as many as 6,000 truckloads of soil that will be dumped (most of it down st georges) - how much more truck-traffic are we in for, for how much longer?  Counted in both directions, that amounts to 12,000 opportunities for soil carrying trucks, only, to get it wrong and endanger others.

Will the golf course take responsibility for the impact of these heavy duty trucks, flying, as if on a highway.

Will the JRA do it?

Will the OERF and the neighbourhood do it?.

There is a lot of foot traffic (including children and adults going to and from school and work) - as well as people doing recreational stuff like cycling, running, walking, etc.  The speed bumps are urgently required as the trucks and other traffic have all but destroyed the road, and in this way we can save the road and the people using it.

2015-08-30 13:35

I care about my neighborhood, which is being overwhelmed with trucks dumping excavated soil on the golf course. The road has been destroyed with trucks going by at a rate of 20- 30 an hour some days. Our peace is ruined!! The cars speed down this road at 100 km/hr +, endangering pets and residents.

2015-08-31 16:58

I live on St Georges and Adam Tas Streets and gave difficulty driving into and out of my yard due to motor vehicles racing up or down St  Georges Street.  I have also had 3 vehicles skidding into my gate and palisade fencing during rainy season as a result the stop sign on Adam Tas Street has been bumped off and is no longer there. Very unsafe to drive on this road as it has become Kyalami Race Track to Non-Residents of Observatory Estate. They speed, force you off the road overtaking on blind rises and solid lines tale you in such a way that I always have to put on hazard lights to indicate I am slowing down to turn into my yard. 

2015-08-31 18:49

safety reasons, to stop drivers speeding.

2015-09-01 18:53

Affected resident