Save Ewell Village & The Playing Fields - The Campaign Continues

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Ewell Village & The Playing Fields - The Campaign Continues.

2015-10-02 10:29

As a local resident I strongly feel that we should protect our green spaces.
There is enough traffic congestion in the village already - another housing development will bring with it unwanted extra traffic.

2015-10-03 12:22

I believe in the protection of green spaces and encouraging sport for children. Let the developers look at building on brown field sites rather than at the expense of our ever decreasing sports fields. What happened to the 'Olympic legacy'. Well done to England and Surrey cricket legend, Alec Stewart, for supporting this campaign. Save our playing fields.

2015-10-03 12:26

Yet another sad example of private developers gaining at the expense of our children's health. Growing levels of obesity and diabetes means the council should feel even more obliged to protect playing fields. Let's hope they have the conviction not to be short sighted on this. Save our playing fields.

2015-10-03 18:08

I am an old salesian and also have played at this ground as a school boy, old boy and vet. It is not acceptable that such few green spaces in the borough and area are lost to developments that can be built elsewhere.

2015-10-05 09:37

The Old Schools Lane Playing Fields site has afforded excellent sporting provision for over 80 years and in recent times has been a community asset fully utilized by local schools and clubs. The new proposal will amount to a reduction in this provision and does the meet the needs of previous users or potential new ones. It will have a detrimental effect on the character of the local conservation area and will generate additional traffic in an unsuitable road.

2015-10-05 10:49

Removing a former local sports facility and handing it to a private, profit making, sports club, does not support the local community. I see no reason why the developer cannot gift the land to the Council so it can remain a local sports facility on a not for profit basis.

2015-10-05 11:30

This is an unfair total rejection of sports as part of the wholistic development of every child and family in the borough. This field had been a training ground of football and all sports for years in the borough and had produced excellent players and referee. Playing fields for sports should be preserved and sported and not destroyed.

2015-10-05 11:44

The area is a registered strategic open space and the proposals reduce the current number of 4 grass pitches to just one.

2015-10-05 12:41

To protect the site from development and continue allowing Old Salesians FC to provide sport in general and football in particular to its young School Leavers and Adult Members.

2015-10-05 13:35

I signed this petition because the nation should do its upmost to retain playing fields. loss of these amenities lead to greater social problems in the future.

2015-10-05 13:44

We are losing all our open spaces. This needs to be stopped.

2015-10-05 13:51

As a past grassroots footballer and member of another Old Boys Club in North London I deplore the attack on grassroots sport, and its impact on the health and social well-being of our communities.

2015-10-05 14:32

I have had many Sat. and other days refereeing at this sports ground.
It is healthy for these type of facilities to be available for others
to keep football available as mentioned in many Government
documents

2015-10-05 14:39

Space is needed for all kinds of sport activities to follow the government promise to get more people into sport.

2015-10-05 16:02

In simple terms the loss of such a vibrant sporting location is detrimental to the local community and at a time when sport and legacies are measured only 3 years after the Olympics it is unbelievable that so much positive sporting activity be lost to more concrete! The original decision needs to be upheld

2015-10-05 16:30

We need more playing fields for our children and grand-children, not less. We need to fight obesity, exercise of any sort helps a lot but playing fields need to be protected in order to achieve the reduction in overweight kids and adults too.

2015-10-05 16:37

Too many open spaces are being built upon - where will our children play?

2015-10-06 09:40

I supported the original objections to the loss of playing fields and stand by that view.

2015-10-06 15:04

I am opposing the application on the grounds that the area is a registered strategic open space and the proposals reduce the current number of 4 grass pitches to just one. The government talked of the Olympics providing a legacy for future generations. We should not keep on building on open spaces as once they're gone they are gone forever.

2015-10-06 15:14

Quite simply because this development is fundamentally commercially driven and not for the benefit of wider community in any way

2015-10-06 15:19

Playing Fields are a valuable asset which we should not destroy. Traffic problems in Ewell would be awful

2015-10-06 16:51

I thought the legacy of the olympics was to encourage children to make use of local sporting facilities!

2015-10-06 17:15

Having used the pitches and facilities Between July 1982 and August 2014 I fully appreciate their importance to local schools and football clubs. The ground is also a haven for local wildlife and a designated Strategic Open Space. Any building would totally unbalance the beauty and serenity of Ewell Village itself.

2015-10-06 17:59

Save playing fields that I have been apart of for 15 years

2015-10-06 19:13

This is valuable open space providing facilities for the community to enjoy and must not under any circumstances be reduced or taken away. It comes at a time when younger people are being encouraged to participate more and more in sport for their own healthy benefit and the many clubs who use this space cannot continue to function effectively if it is lost or reduced. It's benefit to the community far outweighs the commercial need of development as proposed.