Save The Whare

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save The Whare.

Anonymous

2016-05-01 15:51

We have so few heritage buildings in the Mt Roskill area.If the city demolished this building they would be failing their responsibility to protect the local heritage.

2016-05-01 19:31

Because NZ Government and Auckland Council have a very bad and disgraceful reputation / record of pulling down and demolishing anything of Historical significance for power hungry developers compared to other countries overseas who cherish and respect there historical past....once gone it is gone forever so i plead that this old building be given the restoration and respect it deserves instead of being turned into a carpark

2016-05-01 21:46

I have often visited the very admirable TSB Wallace Arts Centre. To learn that some people have the idea of knocking down the adjacent historic whare building enrages me. Please sign this important petition.

2016-05-01 21:54

I signed this petition becuse there are too many of our old buildings not being respected for their history.

2016-05-02 09:48

The Council seems to have lost the plot on Heritage issues, so thinking people continually have to sign petitions to save anything of any value for future generations.

2016-05-02 21:47

i am sick to death of the needless taking down of old building and destroying our history.
Too late

2016-05-02 22:26

I'm sorry to disagree with you all, but this building should be bulldozed! Yes throw your hands up in horror, but where were you all when hundreds of school children and their teachers put up with rats, a leaking roof, mould and rot, constant cold in the winter and holes in the floor? Did you petition then? And yes, I know it was owned by the Auckland Catholic Diocese then, and the property management team there should be ashamed they let this old building fall into such a state over the last 100 years. Believe me it does not look anything like the old historic photo in the stuff article. Doorsteps were held together with tin, paint would fall off the celing in chunks due to dampness and this is were school assemblies, and special events were held! School resources would grow mould and reading recovery teachers and after school care worked out of this building. How do I know. I worked in this damn building for over 4 years! Save the floor boards, do some digging - I'm sure there's plenty of possum skeletons the you could put on display. Interview past pupils of Monte Cecilia about the rats that used to scurry across the roof cavity, but please don't ry and save this now just because some local politicians want some attention. It is an eyesore. Surely the huge cost of restoring such a butchered old building couold be better resourced back into more meaningful community projects. Build a playground in memory of the school kids that filled this grotty old buidling with laughter despite its rotting frame! 

Mt Roskill (Puketapapa) Hist. Soc.

#8 Re:

2016-05-03 06:15

#7: Too late -  

I can understand Too Late feeling this way having to work in the building as she described it. The building did not receive the care it should have by the church authorities. However this building is an integral part of the rich history of the Pah Farm site and deserves to be restored to its former glory. The Homestead now occupied by the gallery represents the grand home and the prominent New Zealander's who played a part in government and the creation of some of our major financial institutions. The Stables represents the agricultural importance when it was a farm. What will not be celebrated if this building is demolished is the 100 years that this site served to meet the educational needs of generations. This weekend just gone the Mt Roskill (Puketapapa) Historical Society hosted the NZ History Federation Conference. To find a venue that provided the heritage aspect we had to go to our neighbouring Local Board and hold the Conference at Alberton. Yes we have the Pah Homestead and Ranfurly Home but neither are available for this type of function. The Whare when restored would provide a function venue, a space for a small museum to display the rich history of the Homestead and also continue an educational role providing an area for school groups visiting the gallery.

2016-05-03 08:13

It is important to save Heritage buildings which have an important part in our city's history,and which can be used for communty purposes

2016-05-03 08:18

We need to retain what little heritage remains and once restored this will be a glorious building and community resource once again.
Hamilton Historian.

#11 Re: Re:

2016-05-03 08:22

#8: Mt Roskill (Puketapapa) Hist. Soc. - Re:  

It is important that the Whare should be saved, because it represents the educational history of Mount Roskill. In fact, Mount Roskill has very few heritage buildings, so it would be tragic for the area to lose another part of its history. I think that it is commendable that the local board and others are trying to save this building. Please keep up the good work and congratulations on your all of your efforts. I wish you every success with your campaign.

2016-05-03 09:20

We are losing too much of New Zealand's precious heritage.

2016-05-03 10:03

Member of Waikato Historical Society and care about our heritage. Building appears to be well worth saving - quite grand in its day. Best of luck.

2016-05-03 19:41

Our heritage is as important as ever. I grew up next to Monte Cecelia over 60 years ago and the destruction of this building would heartbreaking
, as it is as integral as the homestead itself.

2016-05-03 21:22

We need heritage places to give an area it's continuity over the years.

2016-05-03 21:26

I believe buildings with historical significance should be saved for the use by future generations.

2016-05-04 22:22

This is an important and interesting part of our heritage

2016-05-04 23:48

Too many old buildings are been destroyed no one cares about the past good on you Grath Houltham standing up for the present.

2016-05-05 00:38

Cost should never be the prevailing reason for destruction of a publicly owned historical building

2016-05-06 11:55

My father-in-law attended the school at the Pah in 1908 and 1909 and undoubtedly would have used the Whare facilities during that time. This historical link between the schools at St John's, the Pah and Kings School deserves to be preserved.

2016-05-06 21:15

i grew up in this area years ago and believe in protecting our heritage. These places have meaning to a great number of people.
Paul

#22 Save the Whare

2016-05-07 02:42

I attended this school over 50 years ago & have fond memories of the place.. Yes it most definitely merits preservation as it forms such an important link with the Pah Homestead. Local bodies too often use "asbestos or earthquake risk" as an easy cop out, in not taking responsibility to ensure preserving historic buildings in NZ.

2016-05-07 09:40

Because I think history needs to be preserved for the next generation.

2016-05-07 22:15

Because keeping our history and heritage is IMPORTANT!!!

2016-05-08 00:04

I was Chairman of the Former Auckland Branch of the NZ Historic Places Trust. When NZHPT became Heritage New Zealand, and all Brances were Disestablished. The former Committee of the old NZHPT Auckland Branch formed a new organnisation "Heritage Auckland Society Inc" to enable us to carry on the work that we were doing. Like my fellow Committee members, we believe it is very important to preserve bot Auckland's and New Zealand's Heritage for both present and future generations.