South African Sign Language - 12th Official Language

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition South African Sign Language - 12th Official Language.

2016-08-18 16:31

Deaf people are long enough suffering. It is time to sign this petition. Enough of abuse, deaf people are struggle with everything, job, college, wits, interview, Doctor, hospitals, everything must learn to sign language. It is important in the future.

2016-08-18 18:25

To support my strong feeling that all deaf people should have access to their native Sign Language and be recognized.

2016-08-19 11:54

The national government and provincial governments should use any particular official languages , including sign language ,for the purposes of communication used by communities within the Republic of South Africa. Furthermore it shall be also subject to those in schools and tertiary institutes to aleast become common to those who are acknowledged as physically marginal in society .

2016-08-20 15:01

My cousin is deaf, and not all her friends are able to communicate with her. People should be taught. And yet sign-language is defined as a language so why is it not recognized as such

2016-08-23 14:45

I signed this petition because it is part of Deaf/deaf people's human rights to be able to get the recognition they need and to be able to communicate in their native language. Deaf matric students have to write their matric exams in a written language which isn't even their first language. Imagine writing your matric final exams in a language that is not your first language!
SASL Supporter

#106 SASL SHOULD BE SA'S 12TH OFFICIAL LANGUAGE!

2016-08-23 14:47

Sign this petition please to bring solidarity amongst deaf and hearing people and break free from the language and disability gap!

2016-08-24 06:43

I am Hearing but I can strongly identify with the Deaf culture and the joyful use of sign language. SASL has been a long lost identity that I have unconsciously been searching for and brings me happiness.

2016-08-24 18:13

I see people with deaf being sent away to attend schools instead of attending in their homes in their villages. By signing this petition, i plead with the South African Government to help marginalized deaf people with regard to their rights, should do so by finalizing THE SIGN LANGUAGE at school. This will mean the world to them and will encourage parents who hide their deaf children in the houses to allow their children opportunities such as education, because mostly, deaf children in rural areas do not get education.

2016-08-25 11:14

The quality of Deaf education in South Africa is not up to standard because the South African education system does not accommodate Deaf learners. The fact that their Matric exams are marked down if they cannot communicate their answers effectively (because they are not given the opportunity to do these exams in their first language) is disgusting. The system needs to change because it is so skewed against Deaf Learners. I hope that this petition is successful in instigating that change.

2016-08-25 14:06

I believe those without the ability to hear our language deserve to have theirs recognized properly. I have been in hospital where I had lost my hearing for 3 days. I know how painful and scary it can be. Especially when it happens to a huge music lover and a musician such as myself...

2016-08-25 18:10

I think it is important to notice every language

2016-08-26 16:31

I believe that SASL deserve recognition as any other language plus if it's officialize our deaf children will benefit greatly

2016-08-26 21:45

All is equal

2016-08-27 11:04

Because I believe that SASL should be recognised as a language of the South African Deaf citizens. National and local government information should be accessible in SASL for SA Deaf citizens to be informed and make informed choices. Legal information should be accessible in SASL for SA Deaf citizens for the trial to be fair and just. Inclusive Education means education should also be accessible in SASL for SA Deaf learners. Sign languages are recognised in developing countries like the Philippines.

2016-08-29 02:00

I have a had a mild hearing problem most of my life which has got worse with age. This has also been further complicated by tinnitus.
I have over the years had many friends in the deaf community (with varying severity of deafness) and have learned the basics of Sign English and a smattering of ISL. I have seen the problems they have to cope with in every day life, from attending schools far from home, having to write exams in a language not their first language, being marked down when they battle to express themselves in a way that the hearing marker accepts, battling to get and sucessfully pass an interview for a job, being marginalised by their co-worker and boss if they do manage to find work, stuggling to sort out problems with utility services etc as the staff don't understand them. Even everyday shopping is frustrating when you cannot ask the staff for what you want or request assistance. The list goes on and on.  
So this is a cause very near and dear to my heart.

2016-08-29 14:04

It is because Sign Language as a language will accomodate the constitutional rights of Deaf Community as a Minority language and community for people to feel accomodated as citizen of South Africa. Also to eradicate the prejudice of Hearing People towards the Deaf people and the higher education supply for Deaf people should be promoted.

2016-08-29 15:56

To stand in solidarity with the Deaf Community as well as to reinforce SASL to be the 12th official language in SA.

2016-08-31 17:18

I am teaching disabled learners with little or no speech and uses SASL as an alternative way of communication.

2016-08-31 19:16

Why not add it. It is already so.part of our country.

Let SA grow even.more!

2016-09-01 07:25

Then we can all learn to communicate

2016-09-01 10:57

My 9 year old daughter is hearing impaired and we have been going to sign language classes for the last 5 years. It has been a revelation and eye opener. I believe everyone needs to learn sign language.

2016-09-01 11:29

Because I am o the opinion that it is important to acknowledge that there are a group of people that is currently excluded with regard to communication.

2016-09-01 12:22

I support the deaf identity and community

2016-09-01 16:53

My daughter is hearing impaired and sign language was a blessing

2016-09-01 16:58

My sister is hearing impaired so sing language rally helps use to communicate with her