Stop the Gun Range at Rocksberg! Sign this Petition!

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Stop the Gun Range at Rocksberg! Sign this Petition!.

neil

#1 why

2013-09-30 07:53

I do live just about next door, will save me having to use my own hand made range can use theirs instead, at least they would have insurance and you other locals can join in instead of shooting in your own backyards too.

#2 Re: why

2013-09-30 21:51

#1: neil - why

Sorry Neil in order to get gun club licence you need to follow the weapons act 1990 . If someone was injured and it goes to court, insurance would walk away which then would leave it as a civil litigation case which God knows how many people would be complicit. It would be like a driver of a Car, drink driving and someone gets injured. No insurance, civil suit!

For the animals!

#3 Not against it....

2013-10-01 07:14

I am not against a gun range but where it is proposed is not a responsible location. There is a lot of protected wildlife pockets around there and to have guns blasting will scare away the wildlife. With so little places left now for our native fauna surely a bit more respect could be shown for these protected areas!!
Charlene

#4 Subject I SUPPORT THE RANGE

2013-10-02 13:56

SSAA has a long and proud history of participating in conservation work that has achieved positive environmental and economic outcomes. The recent expansion of broader scale programs involving partnerships with state governments and other hunting organisations.

#5 Unacceptable

2013-10-05 10:18

My family and I have had to listen to gun shots from this property most Sunday afternoons since we moved to the area 14 months ago. It would be unbearable to have this noise invade our lives for the entire weekend. Not to mention the danger to those in the area. There are many horse riders in the area too. What are these people thinking? I find this proposal totally unacceptable and a great detriment to the peaceful and scenic area.
Chelsea

#6 The Noise

2013-10-06 02:11

I live quite close to the proposed site for the gun range and would like to continue to live in peace, my family moved out to Rocksberg about three months ago to get away for the noise ( as my younger sister has had bad ear problems all her life) and the loud gunfire will affect our live stock. Not to mention, when us children are trying to get our homework and assignments done for schooling gunfire could be very distracting for us.

2013-10-10 04:42

attaching my letter to council as well:

RE: OBJECTION – APPLICATION NO. DA/27511/2013/V2Q
PROPOSED FIRING RANGE - ROCKSBERG

We wish to object in the strongest possible terms concerning the above application.

We have lived at Ocean View for six years. We bought our home because of its peaceful amenity. In recent years we have been disturbed, particularly at weekends by gunfire. It is loud and intrusive. Initially we thought it was associated with the quarry.

There can be no doubt that should Council proceed to approve this firing range at Rocksberg it will be very detrimental as well as hazardous for the residents of Ocean View, as well as surrounding properties in Rocksberg. Apart from the obvious increase in the noise of gunfire, because it will be registered as a firing range it will be unceasing and devastating to our enjoyment of peaceful amenity.

Council would need to be mindful of the very real risks posed by having the shooting range directing fire into the D’Aguilar Range. This puts Ocean View into direct line of fire for stray bullets and just shouldn’t be countenanced. I was present at a similar firing range which was developed in New England – the result was a very irate farmer whose home and buildings were peppered with gun shots.

Rocksberg and Ocean View are designated as residential areas and having a firing range approved in conjunction with a residential area just doesn’t make sense. I would hope that this isn’t going to be another ‘pink bats’ fiasco, when lives are lost because people fail to make proper decision and recognize real risks.

Jason and Angela Blomfield
PH: 3425 3835

#8 Where was the public consultation

2013-10-11 04:14

We live within a kilometre of this area I have heard nothing of this proposal or had any correspondence. I dont see how this will sit with the proposed Caboolture West development for med- to high densiity housing.

2013-10-11 05:14

As a close resident I feel that it could be built on something much bigger than 7 acres well away from the rural residential area that it is in.

2013-10-11 05:16

Surely common sense will prevail here and it will not go ahead. The size of the land is nowhere near big enough for such a facility in a rural setting, particularly if there are any risks at all.

2013-10-11 07:42

Never mind the time has past for the proposed development submissions. It is 1740hrs on 11th October and it is totally up to the council now.

2013-10-16 05:03

Most residents at Ocean View live in the area not only for peace and quiet, but also with safety in mind. A shooting range in the area will not only effect the residents, but also the tourists visiting the area which therefore effects the business of the area.

2013-10-16 15:00

I agree

#14 I support the Rocksberg Rifle Range

2013-10-19 04:08

1. Disturbing the animals is Rubbish. Cows wonder around near the range regularly. We obviously cease fire if they get close, until they move away. The other day at our pistol range, a butcher bird flew straight in just after we stopped shooting. Again we had a cease fire until it moved on. Murrumba is being closed down because it supposedly disturbs the horses..I've seen them eating right by the fence while shooting was going on. I've had horses for over twenty years, and they looked pretty relaxed to me.
2. The range might be on an allocated 7 acres, but it has hundreds of acres of buffer zone around it.
3. You have more chance being pecked to death by a chicken than by getting hit with a stray bullet at Rocksberg. It's a very safe sport, much safer than most..for participants and non-participants.

#15 Council has extended public feedback period

2013-10-25 07:18

The submission period for comments has been extended to 14 November 2013.

2013-10-25 20:52

This is insane, why has this even gotten to the stage that it has, come on people in power do your job.

#17 Support the Range

2013-10-26 09:59

I will support the range. There are so many of us local members that live in Rocksberg, Moorina, Ocean View and Caboolture, Wamuran, Delaneys Creek out to Kilcoy. We are responsible shooters that save wildlife from feral animals. Not sure how many members if this Branch there are but it is over 250. I live in Rocksberg and wouldn't do anything to harm any environment, especially when this is going on a working cattle stud. Only a small part, that will harm no-one.
Fed up with stupid people

#18 Re: Unacceptable

2013-11-09 12:34

#5: - Unacceptable

God love it,  you moved in 14mths ago, this particular range has been in opertation for 20yrs! people like you make me sick. I can tell you I've shot on this property many times and I've stood down at their house and I couldn't hear a gunshot ever!

#19 Re:

2013-11-09 12:39

#12: -

You make me laugh, a firearm range would have to be just about the safest place on the planet! boy have you people got absolutely no idea about rifle ranges other than your'e media driven ideology of what happens, do yourself a favour and get educated about the subject, how about you go down there and see for yourself instead of just accepting what some uneducated journalist writes in a paper.

As for tourism being affected - what tourism? fair dinkum a swimming hole which mostly would be visited by locals? hardly tourism!

#20 Re:

2013-11-09 12:41

#10: Guest -

20yrs of shooting on the property without incident would argue against your ill founded ignorant theory.

2013-11-15 16:09

You think that the water would get contaminated, get real it already is, how many burnt out cars are found at Ten Bob Crossing, once if you looked up Rocksberg you got "Body in a Barrel, which is pretty horrid for the poor family, gee that is great for the tourism, what tourism, most of the people in Ocean View are so single minded you think you own the whole area and no-one else can have fun. There is that much rubbish in that creek, I wouldn't let anything in it, let alone my children and I don't like shooting, but its not going to worry me, even though I'm close to them, leave them alone and all mind your own business. We all have our own hobbies or sports, horses don't get spooked, once it was the only mode of transport and most older shooters used to shoot over the back of their horses and they didn't spook they stood still. How many of you shoot in your own backyards and make a noises with motorbikes, or quad bikes, oops someone doesn't like those either, soon you will want your own little area that people will think, NO more like KNOW that you just want the area all for yourselves. I hope that they get the approval, how many people in Rocksberg complained about developments in Ocean View, I know I didn't we didn't care, so stay in your area and division and mind your own business. Do remember they are already on Private Property, not on public land, that you can tell them where to go, but of course you would like to be able to do that too. Single Minded People trying to use scare tactics with saying people will be shot, what a load of rubbish and I have never picked up a gun, but have read enough and spoken to enough people to be able to get a good opinion that it will be safe and to see that they have complied with all that they have been asked to do. Cannot see any harm to it and it is on a property with cattle on it. The gas guns keeping the birds and bats away from the strawberry farms make more noise than this lot will and the farms go all the time, this lot won't be. What next, the birds screech too much!
mad

#22 Not good

2013-11-19 09:30

I had a look down there one day
I could not believe what i witnessed What a bunch old farts yelling abuse shitty equipment ironing boards as benches a bombed out caravan and seemed no one of good practical or knowledgeable experience working there
Not my cup of tea They are an embarrassment to SSAA in my opinion and i don't see the council shooting itself in the foot by allowing this range to be established only to get complaints forever onwards as thousands of homes are planned for that valley out there
then there is the issue of 20 years of lead being pumped into that UM range already They are literally filling a creek bank with lead WTF with no care taken to collect any lead deposit no lead trap nothing at all And there must be tonnes there now. Lead is confirmed to be cancer related They should be ordered to clean up there own mess before they even be considered for an approval Indoor ranges are the way to be now to properly protect the environment and be the safest for shooters and residents alike

#23 Who cares

2013-11-20 16:50

Leave it up to council, submissions have closed, time for all to wait and see what happens.
Talk Rubbish

#24 #22 not good

2013-11-23 21:08

MAD WTF you must be either one of the uninvited persons on the property that the owner asked to leave, or either come many years ago. I have been out there a few times, never seen an ironing board, temporary bench rests. Someone did make some blinkin bench rests that broke people knees but they went. Nothing gets shot into the bank, so either get facts straight or don't trespass like some other persons have and shot up when they felt like it without owners permission to be on his property. Hasn't been any shooting out there for some months now, so if you have been out there? Please explain, or smile when you are caught on the many cameras all over the property, not just the proposed range area. Mad take up cod fishing, maybe that would be a better sport for you. This is Private Property- not for wannabees to come and do what they want.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2013-11-25 09:24