Whisman Needs a Neighborhood School

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Whisman Needs a Neighborhood School.

2014-02-02 03:55

My kids both attended Crittenden Los Altos High, Mt. View High and never walked to school. Too far. It is a very good idea, not only for the families, but isn't Mt. View a bike, pedestrian friendly city?
Gary Rosen

#2 Reopening Whisman School

2014-02-02 05:27

It is not just the Whisman neighborhood that is without a school. I served on the transition committee that was formed after Slater was closed. When I got a chance to look at the map and numbers, I found that the entire quadrant of Mt. View east of Shoreline and north of Central had no elementary school. This area at the time had over 600 students, about a quarter of the district's elementary enrollment. Meanwhile the area south of El Camino with only about 500 students still had two elementary schools. This area has been underserved by the MVWSD for a long time and it is time some action was taken to address this.

2014-02-02 05:42

Keep our children and our tax dollars in our neighborhood

2014-02-02 07:34

I used to walk to school everyday. There's so much news about the environment and about being socially and economically responsible and yet we have no school within walking distance for our kids. So everyday we get in our cars and pollute the air and jam the streets to get our kids educated. It's ridiculous!

2014-02-03 03:50

Maybe if the city of Mountain View would stop catering to Google by letting them buy up all of the property in the city especially the elementary schools!!. Thank goodness someone else feels the same way that I do. We always needed more schools. The City of Mountain View did nothing to help keep them open.
Mountain View Mom

#6 Reopen Whisman School

2014-02-03 15:39

A neighborhood school is a keystone in any community. We used to have 2. Now we have non. Why should the area of El Camino South have 2 and the lower income area of North Whisman have to bus and drive our kids to other neighborhoods. In a City with a growing traffic problem and the development plans for North Whisman is it wise to take this opportunity to reopen Whisman to support this growth and reduce congestion. One other point: Emergency planning is usually based around a public building..school..community cente,r even a church; North Whisman currently has no public space to house, support Emergency services in a state of emergency. Opening Whisman as a public school would allow CERT trained residents and emergency services such as Red Cross an appropriate Emergency Command Center, just like the other neighborhoods of Mountain View.

2014-02-04 17:48

I also was on the committee to Save Slater School. Without a local neighborhood school we have few families with school-aged children. I think that Google could actually have their daycare on their campus and Slater could go back to the community. Slater could again house other programs if the initial enrollment was scant. Provide a school and the children will come!

#8 Re:

2014-02-04 17:49

#5: -

Actually Google leases the Slater campus, so there is opprotunity for it to be returned back to the neighborhood.

2014-02-04 18:50

Good luck to all those families who would like to have a school here in the neighborhood. They are already built (saves money!) Why not? If we are in need and could use them, can you explain why not?
petition author

#10 Re: Reopening Whisman School

2014-02-05 00:27

#2: Gary Rosen - Reopening Whisman School

Thank you Gary. If there's any way you can make it to the School District Board Meeting on Thursday, 2/6 at 7pm during the open comment period to voice your opinion, it would be a huge help to the cause. They are telling us they need to see more people getting up and showing support so the more that come, the better!

2014-02-06 01:50

It is really unfair that our neighborhood is without an elementary school. Having a neighborhood school gives a very real sense of community and a meeting place for kids and their parents.
Christine C-L

2014-02-07 03:01

We need a local school to serve the many children in this area. Yes, the building needs serious work to be suitable, but with major renovations comes the opportunity to make a welcoming campus for all kids, including those with special needs. We need a core for our neighborhood, and Whisman would be fantastic.

2014-02-12 07:27

I was amazed - make that shocked - to learn that children from the Whisman neighborhood were assigned to Huff School, which makes no geographic or demographic sense, and must be terribly difficult for parents and their children. AND makes it very difficult (read nightmare) for everyone else trying to traverse Grant Road at 8 AM or 3 PM, thanks to the gridlock created by parents dropping off or picking up their children.(In fact, a school crossing guard was badly injured last year by someone speeding to get through the traffic light, no doubt having waited through 2 or 3 cycles in order to reach the intersection.) The gasoline wasted, the air polluted and the mental wear and tear on everyone involved caused by this situation are indefensible and unsustainable.

bkengland

#14 I support this petition

2014-04-14 02:36

While my child is now an adult, I strongly believe that having public schools available close by is essential, and certainly in line with the new City General Plan.

2014-04-14 04:35

This area continues to grow and there are a lot of school age children. We all pay taxes, yet we have no school in our area.

2014-04-15 19:31

Yes, we need a local school!
data-driven

#17 Re: Reopening Whisman School

2014-05-09 20:02

2015-05-29 18:53

We just bought an apartment in this area for an obscene amount of money. But we plan on starting a family now and want to be near good schools where we are, given how difficult it is to buy somewhere closer.

#19 Reopen school

2015-05-29 19:15

There are more young couple move in and children population rapidly . For good qualit education it does need to open a school in Whisman/Slater area.

2015-05-29 23:44

I signed this petition because I feel its criminal for our schools to be closed, forcing kids to go to school far from home. We pay property taxes, as such, we have the right to have schools for our community!

2015-05-30 01:36

I am one of 35 original tenants of a new housing complex 8 years ago. I watched how our young neighbors started having 1, 2 children. I watched also how 4 years ago my neighbors who had school age children started leaving for the reason that we do not have neighborhood school. Knocking at the doors of my neighbors to ask them to attend the meeting of the "ReopenSlater group, I learned that 2 of my neighbors are moving out of the area when even our neighborhood part of Huff is planned to be rezoned.

2015-05-30 06:20

Children from our neighborhood are being used to fill spaces in other schools. Our neighborhood is lacking the unifying bond and common ground that a local school provides. It has been too long, reopen our school!

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2015-06-01 15:27

Robert

2015-06-01 15:31

Would love to see the Slater school reopened for local use. We moved into the neighborhood not realizing Slater was being leased by Google and had closed for public use. It's really unfortunate and we've considered moving again as there really isn't anything convenient for our children who are fast approaching elementary school age. We fear Google's deep pockets will not allow our family to grow here in Mtn View (as non-Google employees).

2015-06-02 02:12

We need a school in whisman station because our neighborhood has a lot of school age kids due to more and more young professionals with young kids moving into this community. It is absolutely needed to have our own school so we don't have drive too far to send our kids to school!