Save Fairycroft House

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Fairycroft House.

2014-04-07 06:24

Played a big part in childhood , a lot of good memories from this important part of the community

2014-04-07 10:57

I had wonderful times there hanging out with mates out of the rain. I cant imagine how awful it is to grow up now in a world that doesn't do anything for their youth. I hope more places like this can be created not closed. thank you to all those adults that made it possible. I had a blessed childhood.

2014-04-08 09:19

I used the youth center in the mid 80s it will always be the center for youth in the town love simon

2014-04-11 13:58

I think it is all too easy in a community as seemingly rich (in several senses) as ours, to allow assets like Fairycroft House to be disposed of without a fight. But it is assets like that which make and keep our community rich. It's ours so let's keep it.

#5 Carer of a young person who attends the ACCURO evening writes:

2014-04-12 14:36

I understand that the Croft is being listed as a community asset - though hard to understand how it could be seen as anything else! Our son goes to Youth Club there every week, and it has been a lifeline both to him and to me over the last seven years. As a learning disabled youngster he finds it hard to make friends, but like any other teenager wants to have fun, share interests, and enjoy the company of like-minded peers. The Accuro club provides all these things - it is absolutely unique in its 1:1 attention to the needs of disabled teens.The staff and volunteers at Accuro have given my son confidence, fun and self-esteem - qualities that one simply cannot put a price on in terms of making life worth living. I have also hugely appreciated the support those same caring staff have provided to parents like me, whose lives are often difficult and lonely.  ACCURO relies on the Fairycroft building for this wonderful provision. It would not be an exaggeration to say my son sees it as his "second home."

#6 Central community venue The Croft provides opportunities + prevents social isolation

2014-04-12 14:42

A strong sense of community keeps the heart of a town beating! Social Anthropologist Mary Ann Ochoton recently spoke on the ‘Tonight’ programme. She said: “How well we know our neighbours has a massive impact on our lives not just social. Being a part of a community – a bigger social group – isn’t just good for us a sort of fun, optional extra to improve your quality of life. It is absolutely essential to the way that human beings are built. We aren’t isolated beings. We can’t operate in isolation. That’s why solidarity confinement is used as a punishment. It is so essential for human well being to have meaningful relationships and interactions with others that if you take that away people become ill.”

#7 "new multicentre" proposal is bad news dressed up to look good

2014-04-13 14:18

A recent County Council press statement makes much of a "new multicentre" as an explanation for a possible "disposal" (sale!) of FairyCroft House - bad news parading as good! The gloriously titled(!)"multicentre" is not "new" but in the much smaller ex Social Care building. This will provide much needed adult education venue, but it is also proposed that youth groups be squeezed into a claustrophobic cellar part of this building with sewage pipes running across low ceilings. Serious health and safety concerns have previously been voiced about this building being unsuitable for youth group use. FairyCroft is NOT surplus to demand, if it truly was then why on earth are ECC presently paying out rent for local offices when they have existing recently refurbished first floor offices at the Croft?  A most peculiar situation! We plead: "Please Councillor Gooding (and other decision makers) live up to your surname and choose the correct moral path for local communities because expanding populations need more community learning and leisure space - not less!"

#8 A cherished central community centre

2014-04-13 20:44

Some of the best memories I have of youth are from The Croft. It can't be sold the place is full of history and stories to tell by all the people who used and enjoyed it over the years.

#9 Future need for growing town

2014-04-13 20:46

Such good memories of youth club here...!
It is very important that this wonderful facility is kept open for the next generation of Walden kids. They are our future after all....!

#10 A safe haven

2014-04-13 20:47

I remember going to The Croft in the 80s.
It was a great way to get off the street and meet new people.
The youth workers kept control and there wasn’t any bullying.
The streets were hostile but The Croft was a safe haven.

#11 Homely

2014-04-13 20:49

The Croft is in the middle of town so it is easier for everyone to access. If it was further away it would be more dangerous for people to get home especially when dark. It’s our second home!

#12 don't move please!

2014-04-13 20:53

Learnt loads at the croft like respect for me for others too. There's enough room to exercise and run around in the croft. The basement in the other building next door is cramped.We love coming here and learn alot and don't want to be shoved into a tiny space.

#13 Drama use

2014-04-13 20:58

Our child is a vulnerable adult with learning disability. They love going to a busy drama club at The Croft and using the big mirrored hall. Please don't close it!

#14 Accuro club

2014-04-13 21:00

ACCURO clubis the highlight of our child's week. It just would not be the same in another much smaller place.

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2014-04-14 00:00

2014-04-14 06:59

#17 respite service

2014-04-17 19:21

One of our two children used to enjoy going to a young carers evening at FiryCroft which is still running. It was a great respite evening to look forward to every week and where it was held at the Croft was perfect for quiet crafts on one side and excercise on the other. Walden needs to keep places like the Croft the ext door place that county councillors want to move groups to is much, nuch smaller and no good at all for activities.

#18 Keep places for people to meet, have fun and learn.

2014-04-24 13:17

Very important to keep the places to meet, have fun and learn to keep people's spirits up and help to make opportunities and links

#19 Basement way way too small!

2014-04-25 06:44

The basement where it is said we might be put is really really small.
The Croft is much much better. Please please keep it for us and for people in the future!

#20 Concerns

2014-04-27 14:28

The space within the ex Social Care building being considered for youth groups (if moved from FairyCroft House) is a claustrophobic basement with low ceilings and lacking daylight. Serious health and safety concerns have been voiced that the Social Care building is totally unsuitable for use by youth groups.

#21 Work together for the common good!

2014-04-28 20:40

Decision makers please be in touch – let’s work together and be solution focused – there are many ways to save money and at the same time retain a valuable, established, central community resource = WIN for Council WIN for Community WIN for public purse!

2014-04-29 09:41

#23 People matter

2014-04-29 14:23

Please don't shrink people's chances!

2014-04-29 14:26

With more houses being built and families moving to the area where are chidren meant to go for things to do? I suppose if you like to see them hanging around and not doing anything productive then....lets not lose more of walden to new builds when we have perfectly good ones in place already.

#25 If gone it would be a shameful waste!

2014-04-29 15:03

It would cost a lot more to try and rebuild places like Croft from scratch in the future with town getting bigger