Save Ewell Playing Fields

/ #89 Old Salesians Playing Fields Ewell

2014-04-20 09:55

Having been a member of OSFC/OSSC since 1982 I know, first hand, what a great facility the playing fields in Old Schools Lane offer. Having been a Director/Ground Manager of OSPF(E) since 1st September 2011, I have been involved with the day to day running of the ground and liaising with its users to help ensure everything runs to their satisfaction. I know that Ewell Castle School, St. Clements Primary School, St. John Bosco College, Old Salesians Football/Social Clubs and Worcester Park Cricket Club appreciate this unique, safe and secure environment that allows them to pursue their chosen sports.

To try and develop this ground after 83 years of constant sporting use would be a sin given the local area has no other playing fields of this calibre available. Additionally, the impact of any "build" on this ground would cause great upheaval to the local residents and wildlife. Where do all the current users go? Epsom & Ewell Borough Council cannot sanction this proposed development in any way, shape or form as this site is a designated Strategic Open Space and Community Asset!