Help get permission for Conrad to own a therapy dog in Bellamont Gardens

Jenny Steytler

/ #70 Response to Guest/s #60, #61 and #62

2014-08-02 19:19

Firstly I note that, while you are happy to spew forth your vitriolic argument, you are not brave enough to tell us who you are. You have said that you live at Bellamont Gardens and, based on your mean-spirited and selfish attitude, I am going to assume that you are a member or members of the Body Corporate. Nobody cares how much you paid for your units. That is not a valid part of the argument. The presence of a service dog would not affect the value of your unit, so therefore you have no need for concern. What may affect the value of your unit is the disgraceful and disrespectful attitude of the Body Corporate to those who live there. I do not think that the articles that have appeared in local newspapers or the opinions expressed by others on this petition have been very positive PR for your complex. I doubt that you can ever claim to be child friendly either.

I was shocked when Shelley's very reasonable request was turned down without one of your number even having the common decency to speak to her to find out more about what it would entail. I was saddened that not one of you has bothered to find out more about the incredibly difficult road she has travelled with Conrad and his special needs. I’m shocked that it was only recently that owners in the complex were even consulted about their opinions on the issue. However, the fact that you have taken your offensive, spiteful disregard for a child's needs to these levels simply defies belief.

Your claims that you are concerned about the welfare of the "beautiful" dog that "she" (Shelley - yes, she does have a name), in my opinion, are untrue to say the least, and prove that you do not know Shelley at all. In fact, I believe that you are simply trying to detract from the issue at hand: that you and your Body Corporate are making absolute fools of yourselves in the eyes of the public at large. Do you really think that journalists would have approached Shelley to do articles on her situation if they felt that she was being unreasonable? Do you think that the Guide Dogs Association would be training dogs for this specific skill (among others) if it were in any way cruel or detrimental to the dogs? Do you think that, for example, blind people who own a guide dog live in large premises with acres of lawn for their dogs to run on? The fact is that they do not, and their dogs are happy and healthy and cared for, as Conrad’s dog will be when he gets one. Further proof of your ignorance is that both Shelley and Conrad would need to go for training before being able to take ownership of the dog. It is not simply sent home with them to try to cope with. The dog is highly trained, and is a working dog. It is identified as such by the harness that it wears. It is permitted in shopping centres, restaurants, hospitals and even aboard an aeroplane but, apparently, not Bellamont Gardens. It is not becoming clear to you that you are alone in your understanding of the situation?

Your repeated statement that a tenant has no rights is simply further proof of your apparently infinite ignorance and spite. Do you sincerely believe that tenants have only obligations and no rights when they live in a house or complex? When a tenant pays an owner rental, he/she is paying for the same rights of enjoyment of said property as those that would have been enjoyed by the owner had he/she been living there, with the exception of a vote.

You cannot claim to be taking the rights or needs of other owners into consideration either. On reading over previous comments by both past and present owners/tenants of Bellamont Gardens, it becomes clear that the Body Corporate members have allowed a little power to go to their heads and have, to put it plainly, "lost the plot". I'm not sure why your group of bullies have been allowed to remain in this position for so long but, if I were an owner there, I'd certainly be making it my business to get you out as soon as possible. Having been the Chairman of the Body Corporate of a large sectional title development of approximately 50 units some years ago, I am aware of not only the rights of owners and tenants, but responsibilities of the trustees to treat everyone with due respect and consideration. This aspect of your role seems to have been lost on you. This article may be of interest to you, and may get other owners in your complex thinking: http://www.privateproperty.co.za/news/property-tips/bodies-corporate-do-have-bullies.htm?id=1479

I also note with interest the statement by Guest #36 that says “… the offspring of the Body Corporate residing in the same complex also has permission to keep sugar gliders (an exotic pet) which is illegal in both Gauteng and the Eastern Cape, but has been allowed in a conservation area.” And yet part of your argument includes the fact that the presence of a dog would threaten the stability of the conservation area. Guest #36 goes on to say, “I wonder if the same compassion and acceptance would be given if a stray dog should wander onto the property and was fed and given shelter for over eight years as the 'feral' cats are?” Apparently these cats are fed regularly by a member of your Body Corporate, and one has even been seen wearing a collar with a bell, which nullifies the claim that it is feral, as a feral cat would be very unlikely to allow any human contact. Apparently certain trustees have fenced off sections of supposed “common property” areas, yet Shelley was informed that she could not fence of a section of garden to prevent the dog from leaving her area as it is common property. It is clear that there are a number of double standards being applied in this situation.

This situation can be changed, and this story can have a happy ending. The power to decide how it ends is up to you. Shelley and Conrad have an enormous amount of support behind them, including that of their amazing legal team. They are also loved by so many people. You have the right to choose how you want to feel about your actions for the rest of your life. For that is how long you will remember the action you take. What will you say to loved ones in the future about your behaviour today? What will you say should something like this ever happen to you? Will you look back in years to come and tell yourself that you are glad you stood your ground and prevented a child in need from getting assistance he needs? Will you be proud of what you're doing now? Do you really go to sleep at night thinking that you are right and everybody else is wrong? I doubt it. Listen to your heart, not your ego, and be sure that the choice you make today is a choice you can live with tomorrow.

Best wishes to all,
Jenny, proud sister and auntie to Shelley and Conrad