We want to travel with our 8/9 weeks old pedigree-puppies

/ #125 IMPORTANT TIME IN A DOGS LIFE

2015-02-09 09:56

Puppies need socialization MOST between 8 and 14 weeks of age... so they grow up to be GOOD decent socailly respectable animals.  This law is bad for puppies in every way!! Its not about how long the puppy is with the breeder.... at least 8 weeks with the breeder I can understand, is a good goal!  In the first 8 weeks the puppies learn from their dam, and their breeder. But keeping it with its littermates and breeder for over 12 weeks is REALLY not good for the puppys ability to live a good life, to become a family member.  Socialization with their new family should start between 8 and 10 weeks of age. Socialization with their new surroundings!  Responsible breeders place puppies between 8 and 12 weeks for good reasons!  

Please reconsider this silly law!  I have imported dogs from the EU to Alaska since 1991!  (only a few over the years)  My foundation bitch travelled by Ferry and Train, Plane and car with me, before she got home to Alaska.  She dd well, and was impeccably trained by me during this time.  She did not spread any disease.  She was a well bred bernese Mountian dog.  I dont think those responsible for the law have any idea what they are doing here.  

At least consider it ok for puppies to travel WITH their owners...  at a much more approrpriate age..

8 weeks is a better cut off...   at 8 weeks of age puppies are ready to start meeting their families!! 

I have raised dogs since 1989.  Please reconsider your law! And I dont want to do rabies before the pup is 16 weeks old EVER!!  

Amy Christiansen Homer Alaska