South African Government-declare Corrective Rape A Hate Crime!

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition South African Government-declare Corrective Rape A Hate Crime!.

Neville Engelbrecht

#1 Cultural Education

2010-11-25 14:09

Cultural education should form part these aims: Development of an individuals knowledge, understanding and appreciation of their own and different beliefs and cultures and how these influence other individuals and societies. The aim being that as a healthy wholly developed society we should all significantly contribute to the development of each individuals sense of identity through knowledge and understanding of the spiritual, moral, social, and cultural heritages of South Africa’s diverse society and of the local, national, and indeed - global dimensions of their lives.

In our twenty-first century world it is our hope that education should be socially just and thus advocate for an environment that is free from any discrimination based on sex,sexual orientation, language, culture and ethnicity, religion or disability.
Billi du Preez
The author of this petition

#2 Re: Cultural Education

2010-11-25 14:25

#1: Neville Engelbrecht - Cultural Education 

Well said, Neville.

I have advocated for years that such subjects be taught in schools, under the guise of "Life-skills", but I think the Education Department is still missing the mark!

2010-11-25 15:12

Or lacking the will....
Craig Carbutt

#4 No brainer

2010-11-25 15:44

Please help these people. They are really being intimidated - I feel this type of behaviour should not be tolerated. No wonder there are so many lesbians that are misandrists!
Beth Dobberstein

#5 Truly Awful!

2010-11-25 15:57

Please sign and pass on!
Billi du Preez

2010-11-25 17:22

Thanks Craig & Beth, both for signing and commenting! Please pass this link on.

Thanks
Billi
LulekiSizwe
Farah Stephens

2010-11-27 04:23

The fact that Rape of any kind is tolerated in South Africa is abhorrent, but this this is the ugliest and most violent kind of rape and it needs to stop. Whether you agree with their sexuality or not, these people are still HUMAN BEINGS and should be treated with the same dignity as anyone else. If you don't make laws protecting these people you are nothing but heathens.
Angela Scholder

2010-11-27 13:58

"Corrective rape" is just one sick product of a misogynistic world of men..
All violence against LGBTQI people and other minorities because of who and what they are is sick and should be punished as hate crimes!

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2010-11-27 15:27

Billi du Preez

#10 Re: "these people"

2010-11-27 15:30

#7: Farah Stephens -  

Farah, No rape is acceptable, and I agree with you , it has to stop, but I am not to fond of your terminology "these people" - I am not "these people", I am A PERSON, A WOMAN! Thank you!

Billi du Preez

#11 Re:

2010-11-27 15:31

#8: Angela Scholder -  

Thank you, Angela, well said!

#12 Re: Re: "these people"

2010-11-27 21:47

Amen. I hate my rapists. May they die a long slow death. The magistrate condoned it.

Trent Bulat

#13 No method to the madness.

2010-11-27 21:55

Don't let ignorance, hate, and madness get the upper hand of common sense. This is HATE!
PJ Smith

#14 disgusting

2010-11-29 21:05

This type of mysoginy has got to stop. There is no such thing as a cure for homosexuality. These thugs are looking for an excuse to rape. What is it about these men that they have to rape women to feel superior? Maybe deep down inside they know they are scum.
So called, "corrective rape" is a hate crime against lesbians!
Melissa Loudenback

2010-11-30 01:13

My heart breaks for my lesbian sisters. I cannot imagine what you have endured. Stay strong, like the women you are.

If I can be of any service,..
Billi du Preez

#16 Re:

2010-11-30 12:00

#15: Melissa Loudenback -  

Thanks, Melissa! The best way to help at the moment is to pass on this petition and help us to get signatures.

Other ways to help can be found on the website here

Namaste

Billi

http://lulekisizwe.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/logosq2-copy.png?w=150&h=150...

Billi du Preez

#17 Re: disgusting

2010-11-30 12:03

#14: PJ Smith - disgusting 

Thanks, PJ

The best way to help at the moment is to take that outrage and use it by passing on this petition and helping us to get signatures.

Other ways to help can be found on the website here

Namaste

Billi

Billi du Preez

#18 Re: Re: Re: "these people"

2010-11-30 12:06

Billi du Preez

#19 Re: No method to the madness.

2010-11-30 12:08

#13: Trent Bulat - No method to the madness. 

True Dat, Trent! Please pass this petition on and assist us to get signatures so we can force the SA Govt to do something about it!

Blessings!

Billi

Lulekisizwe

MM

#20 Repay Evil with Good

2010-12-10 21:58

Hi Billi,

I'm a writer/teacher who organized a "Write for Rights" day at the Writing Center on our campus...and no one showed up.

So, I sat down to write some letters and sign some petitions myself, and I came across your site.

I had not heard of this issue before; I'm appalled. Thank you for standing up in the midst of persecution.

Rape is wrong. Period.

Stay strong; you've inspired this poem:

Use the stones they throw
to build a bridge.

Use the rope they hang
to scale this cliff.

Use the scars they leave
to write the words
that change the
world.

#23 Re: Re: disgusting

2010-12-12 22:11

FarFromXanadu

#24 I want to help.

2010-12-12 22:17

This is disgusting and makes me sad there's only 208 signatures, of which I am the 208th. I'm amazed at all the strong lesbian women who have managed to survive through this tragedy. As a bisexual teenager I am growing up in a small town that has the second highest rate of homosexuality per capita, I've experienced very little homophobia and wish everybody could have had such an accepting government and community as I had.

I will make this my personal goal to spread this petition around, this is something everybody should care about.

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2010-12-14 13:44