Keep Historical Archives Assistant Position

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Keep Historical Archives Assistant Position.

Deb Bickford

#26 Where are we from?

2010-12-11 20:44

I found it interesting as I went through the signatures that there are a number from out-of-New York. I would encourage people to edit their signatures to add their state. This would perhaps weigh in on the importance of keeping this positon.
Marlene Strudwick, Canada

#27 patron

2010-12-12 03:12

Earlene Melious has been of great and gracious assistance to me in my family research by correspondence, e-mail, telephone and in person. I hope that I will be able to continue my research with her help.
Robert Landrio

#28 Town Line Museum

2010-12-12 04:01

Why is it that every time there is a budget crunch, museums or anything of historical value are the first items to get hit? Counties like Fulton and Montgomery depend on tourism to survive. Besides, education, especially local history is the last thing we should compromise on.

R.W. Landrio
Richard Halsey

#29 Position

2010-12-12 04:06

This is one of the most amazing small libraries that I have had the pleasure to visit. The collection is unique and many of the things in the collection only exist there. Please give more thought on retaining all the positions at the library.
Marilyn Meyers

#30 We need you!!

2010-12-12 09:05

My family moved to Montgomery County as a result of bounty land received after the Revolutionary War. I have been researching them for many years and need access to the records. I'm sure I'm not alone in this!

Joan Walker

#31 Genealogy is Important in Many Ways

2010-12-12 10:34

Genealogy has come a long way. Let's not take a backward step.
CATHERINE OSSENFORT

2010-12-12 13:09

THIS IS THE ONLY CLOSE BY PLACE WITH SO MUCH MOHAWK VALLEY HISTORY THAT ANYONE DOING LOCAL FAMILY HISTORY CAN GO TO DO RESEARCH. PEOPLE COME FROM ALL OVER THE USA AND FOREIGN COUNTRIES TO DO REASEARCH AT THIS PLACE IT NEED TO CONTINUE TO BE FUNDED ITI IS ONE OF THE BEST PLACES TO FIND MOHAWK VALLY HISTORY.
Laura Brandis

#33 Laura Brandis

2010-12-12 15:15

I have visited the archives several times and hope to return soon. It has been an invaluable resource in the search of my family's history.
Marian Edwards Pierre-Louis

#34 Don't cut back!

2010-12-12 15:43

The Montgomery County Archives staff and resources have helped me tremendously. My family has a long heritage in Montgomery County particularly in Glen and Charleston. My Father and I have visited during research trips, spending money in the local community during our stay and also purchasing materials at the Archives. If you cut the position you will make it harder for researchers like us to visit and the local economy will be hit even harder when researchers stop visiting. Reports have shown that genealogists and family historians bring much needed money to old towns. Don't be short sighted by cutting this position. Think of all the money you will be losing in the larger picture.
Barbara de Mare

#35 Attorney, Genealogist, Historian, Grandmother

2010-12-12 17:29

I use this facility frequently, as I have many Mohawk Valley ancestors. It would be a travesty to close this important cite of historic and genealogical history, thus separating us from our ancestors and their way of life.
Deanna Smith

2010-12-12 17:59

This Department is not only Historically and Genealogically of major importance in the United States, but also to Tourism in the Mohawk Valley.

This is a very busy Facility and I can't imagine it being able to function without an Hisotircal Assistant. I've been using the sources in this facility since 1970 and have watched, closely, it's growth, because of the Assistance to the County Historian. Earlene Melius has had a major impact there for 8 years.

The loss of her position is unthinkable as to to the affect it will have-not to mention the affect on all Historians and Genealogists in the Country.

We have the best Loyalist records in New York State. (Revolutionary War resoures) Our Canadian friends, who visit the Dept. of History and Archives on a regular basis, should have had a say in what happens here.

Judith Moulton

#37 Historical Researcher

2010-12-12 18:52

While historical libraries and archives may not seem a necessity during difficult financial times, they do increase revenue in the area. They should be viewed as an attraction. Visitors spend money! They stay in local hotels, eat at local restaurants, and buy fuel at local stations.
gary wickerham

#38 comments on closing &/or reducing positions for the historical department

2010-12-12 20:04

as one with ancestors who came from new york, please do not eliminate historical archives department. research assistance is invaluable for those of us from out of state when tracing our ancestors. also, you would likely be reducing needed revenues this department generates.

thank you for your consideration
William Bracht

#39 Must Keep

2010-12-12 20:06

As a native New Yorker and ex-Upstate New York resident, I cringe when I hear of yet another historical/genealogical resource being allowed to go down the drain due to budget myopia. Please vote to keep this vital resource.
Cynthia Kindall

2010-12-12 21:05

History - is a vital point of our lives- be it family history or state history.
Edward Mason

#42 Membership VP, San Ramon Valley Genealogical Society

2010-12-13 00:29

I found this Library to be very valuable when in New York doing research on Herkimer County. I have also made extensive use of their invaluable newspaper database.
B Turley

#43 Historical Archives

2010-12-13 01:22

I was born in Albany NY and genealogy research never ends. I have had Ancestors who lived in Montgomery county. Hopefully you will find ways to make this all work - for all of us...B Turley
K Aldrup

#44 Historical Archives

2010-12-13 01:32

I am a 61 year old disabled fixed income Family Genealogist who has been researching my family lines since the 9th grade. If I were not on a fixed income... I would gladly make a contribution to the support and assistance that every Archivist have provided over the last 35+ years. If it were not for the dedicated work of volunteers and professionals... I would not have discovered the world of my ancestors. As I am unable to travel physically and financially, I am dependent on the work of others. I volunteer where ever possible. And am most grateful for County Libraries and Websites.
B Turley

#45 Where Are We From

2010-12-13 01:59

To Deb Bickford & All. Just finished reading all the comments.I am greatly impressed.
I would not even know about this if it wasn't on Eastman's Newsletter. I live in Fresno California but born in Albany NY. I'm not finished with my NY genealogy. We're all in this together, we must find a way to make it work. B Turley
Joan Jordan

#46 Help from the archives long distance.

2010-12-13 03:33

I live in Arizona and the Archives helped me with my family's history in New York State, Herkimer County.
Judy Janes

#47 Montgomery Archives Position

2010-12-13 05:31

I feel strongly that this position should be filled to keep the archives available to the public. New York's history should not be lost due to budget cuts.

2010-12-13 05:49

It is imperative that the Montgomery County Archives remain open and peopled with those most pleasant employees.
If a nation does not have time (money) for its history, then chop senators and congress- persons salaries.
Save the Archives!
DBJ Snyder UE CD Major retired
Mark Dionne

#49 Let's not lose a great resource

2010-12-13 07:51

Twice I have paid cash to have researchers at the archives look up family history information for me. They did a great job.
Carol Sastra, Melbourne, Australia.

2010-12-13 09:54

While in the U.S I've travelled to Cherry Valley and Amsterdam to research family there and I can't speak too highly of the friendly and professional help I've had from the archivists. These folk are your assets - don't lose them!