TRO HGV Sutton Bank

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition TRO HGV Sutton Bank.

Plainspeaker

2015-07-22 21:18

Sorry. But this is a silly petition. Sutton Bank is imperfect, but there is no better route. Diverting through Coxwold, Wass and Ampleforth would be no less fraught. It must be grievous for the population of Sutton, but they knew this was an issue when they bought their homes.

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2015-07-22 21:19

2015-07-28 10:40

This morning as I was doing my daily commute down Sutton Bank I had to halt suddenly when a large articulated truck decided to not go up the bank and turn round with great difficulty, obviously I am now stopped at the bottom of the bank with cars still coming down and fearing someone not being able to stop and going into the back of me. This on a very busy day when many horse boxes going up to get to Ryedale Show. This happens too often trucks turning as well as those that get stuck or grind to a halt suddenly when they realise how steep it really is.

2015-08-07 19:42

I am a former ( and soon to be returning) resident of N York's. I am a frequent visitor to This so and have a frequent user permit at Sutton Bank car park. I' m sick of getting stuck behind overloaded, underpowered,unsuitable HGVs driven by clueless drivers.Hence my support for this petition.

2015-08-14 09:51

We live at the top of Sutton Bank and Thirsk is our main shopping centre and we use HSBC in Thirsk since the Helmsley branch closed. We also use the cattle market. The Bank seems to be blocked on a weekly basis which is very frustrating and means a long drive round.

2015-08-16 14:35

We regularly use Sutton Bank and are often caught behind vehicles that are not appropriate for the particular road conditions.

#57 Re:

2015-08-19 20:37

#16: -  

WHAT A SENSIBLE IDEA. THE TURNING AREA AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BANK. HOW MANY WOULD RECONSIDER GOING UP THOUGH?

Bankjob

2015-08-19 21:06

1n the 1990's I used to commute daily to Thirsk and Ripon using Sutton Bank and found the inconvenience caused by blockages so frustrating. I witnessed so many incidents over the years including an articulated lorry laid on its side into the field on the hair pin bend. I only commented today to my passenger whilst travelling up the bank how quickly the trees in that part of the field have grown and what a sensible decision it was by the owners to plant them there! The worst thing for me is actually being stuck on the banks steepest part near the layby and not knowing how long you may be there all the while thinking will the vehicle in front of me roll back into me or should I turn around and head back towards Thirsk and if I do whats the chance of some idiot coming down at speed and smashing into me side on. A couple of weeks ago there was an unvisible problem beyond the steep bit so I hung back with hazard lights on waiting till the steep bit totally cleared of traffic thus avoiding the afore mentioned situation for everyone. This resulted in the impatient cars behind me blindly overtaking me risking head on smashing into cars possibly coming down the hill. The culprits must have thought I had broken down or something but they obviously were aware of the hold up because of the stopped cars that were there as we approached the bank. It really does need sorting and I applaud the Suttonunderwhitestonecliffe PC for attempting to finally do something about it. The problem is never going to go away unless action is taken. Good luck with your efforts.

2015-08-22 16:14

Use this road regularly, sick of hold ups. Caravans go another way round so could HGV's

2015-08-27 16:57

We attempted to go to Helmsley today via Sutton Bank, but had to turn back because it was blocked (around 12.30 pm). Looking on the internet brought up articles and a link to this petition. Perhaps the MP can bring pressure on NYCC, it's a ridiculous state of affairs.

2015-08-28 21:52

I have used this route many times in my HGV. Never caused any problems. Its may seem ok to just ban lorries but we're not using the road for no reason. Its the main road in that area, if there was a better route in the area then trucks would use it. If a ban is in place it'll put more heavy traffic on surrunding smaller roads such as the one through Wass. Is this really better? 

#62 Re:

2015-08-31 17:45

#61: -  

It is not our aim to put heavy traffic on the surrounding smaller roads.  What we would like to achieve is that lorries coming up from the South or West of England use the A64, coming from the North use the A171 to the East coast.

Cllr Caroline Artingstoll  

mikeon

#63 Re:

2015-09-03 13:19

#12: MICK G. -  

Your comment carries special weight as you are an HGV driver who has used Sutton Bank. You've hit the nail on the head when you suggest its the managers who need to be called to account. What is the aggregate cost of HGV vehicle wear, risk to all drivers, wasted police and drivers time etc I wonder. Does the shortcut really warrant this cost?  

mikeon

#64 Re:

2015-09-03 13:24

#51: Plainspeaker -  

Granted that the residents of Sutton may have a particular interest in seeing HGVs moved away from their village, but I and many other petitioners do not live there (or even locally, in my case) but are simply those who've experienced problems on the A170 at Sutton Bank a high proportion of times that we have had to use it. I don't know about how viable the alternatives may be, but I certainly think the situation at Sutton Bank merits close attention. 

2015-10-01 09:18

We are frequent users of the A170 and Sutton Bank. As well as the disruption caused by HGV blockages we find the very slow moving lorries going up the bank are a danger to other traffic. If a car is progressing too slowly there is a danger it will stall and cause more problems on the bank.

2015-10-15 16:18

Having been stuck on the bank 3 times because of HGV's getting stuck, I think control of traffic is very much overdue. One of the lorries belonged to Morrisons - it turned left in Helmsley presumably to go to Teeside via Bilsdale. It should have gone via the A19, it may be a bit further, but much safer and less disruptive.

2015-11-08 11:47

I know this road and have been stuck behind a lorry.

2015-11-08 21:39

Got stuck up Sutton bank behind lorries many times over the years

2015-11-20 12:34

Because I drive HGV's and will not use that route.

2015-11-24 15:46

Sick of idiot Larry drivers trying to drive up Sutton bank with lorries so old they should not be on the road let alone try to take the bank. Also the Larry drivers after the break down on the bank get out and think it is a big joke.

2015-12-17 23:54

The council gritter is a H.G.V so will that be banned??????

#72 Re:

2015-12-18 22:02

#71: -  

Surely the gritted would be issued with a permit, e.g for local and/or frequent operators if you read the TRO correctly

Caroline Artingstoll
The author of this petition

#73 Re:

2015-12-20 21:42

#71: -  

Hopefully NYCC Highways should be educating their drivers via their new campaign and they should then be able to sucessfully drive up Sutton Bank.  As a regular/local user they would have a permit. 

yetti

2015-12-25 15:20

No mention in all this of the idiotic car drivers that still try towing caravans up, even though they have been banned for years.

During the past summer I have seen this on several occasions, totally ignore signs at Thirsk which are repeated for six miles to the bottom of the bank, but take no notice whatsoever.  At least HGV drivers can drive unlike a lot of car drivers.

2016-01-10 21:23

I drive heavy goods and had the Sutton bank experience . Not good, 7.5 limit I say