TRO HGV Sutton Bank

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition TRO HGV Sutton Bank.

2016-01-13 13:05

Using Sutton Bank fairly regularly I too have encountered problems with HGVs getting stuck/breaking down. The most concerning one being when one, complete with trailer, stalled and started to roll back towards me. At the time my wife and grandchildren were in the car. Whilst the vehicle managed to ease onto the verge, it wasn't too pleasant an experience. I accept there are some business related reasons why some HGVs use (try to use) it, but I am sure other routes could be devised that would not inconvenience drivers and the recipients of goods/services too much.

2016-01-13 14:54

Been blocked on a number of occasions by HGV's getting stuck!

2016-01-20 22:26

3 blockages in 2 weeks waiting for 45 minutes each time and late for patients at my practice

2016-02-20 14:35

Either do this or dual carriage way the the bank.
Stevie

#80 Re: Re:

2016-02-26 18:05

#31: - Re:  

First of all I am a truck driver and use Sutton bank on a regular basis to go to farms in that area if I had to go round it would be a long route round. The problem is the road surface not the trucks if the council put the none slip all the way up and not just at the top like they have it would help a lot, but from what I'm told they are not willing to do that so moan at the council not the truck drivers.

2016-03-10 20:10

I use this route regular. I have witnessed stuck HGVs on several occasions, and the situation becomes very dangerous very quickly. If it's unsuitable for caravans weighing about a ton, then where is the sense with a H GV weighing 40 ton? You can't beat physics, they just spin out on such a steep slope.

#82 Re: Re:

2016-03-10 21:06

#48: - Re:  

The days you deliver to that area use a van, or 7.5 tonne truck...........if it's good enough for Asda, Tesco etc?

work with your customers to see if you can improve distribution alternatives.

if delivering as you say, from Helmsley to Scarborough, start Scarborough and come through Ryedale, to come down Sutton Bank.

The selfish actions of HGV drivers, trying to get up the bank in rain........and Haulier worth his/her salt knows there is a serious risk of not making it. Instead of just thinking about yourselves, think about the innocent members of public you block.......all got jobs to do and collectively, losing more money than you in lost time, missed appointments, taxpayers money in police response, damage to roadside furniture etc...............yet HGV drivers moan because you have to do additional miles on a more suitable route............quite happy to assume your rights over the 50 odd people stuck behind you? Selfish.

You are a business, price the additional cost in, offset against tax, and take the longer route. Kings of the road? Professional drivers?  Hauliers and operators should risk assess the route, and a risk assessment should exist for what to do when stuck. Blindly reversing down a steep hill, making cars taking avoiding action is at least inconsiderate driving/careless driving.

The County Councils response is pitiful. At the very,very least they should provide the grip surface on the road. Second, a turnaround area. I personally would like to see a ban. HGVs are also leaking diesel from the fuel tanks on such steep inclines, which is a huge hazard to motorcyclists and cyclists who regularly use this route.

i wouldn't want to see Sutton Bank over engineered, with longer, wider roads.........Sutton Bank is a place of beauty, nationally recognised and a jewel of North Yorkshire.

2016-03-17 19:25

I got caught up in the chaos today due to a reversing truck with nowhere to turn around. Traffic was all the way back to Sutton under Whitestonecliffe
truth seeker

#84 Re:

2016-04-27 13:34

#2: -  

Let's tell the truth here shall we 74 trucks in the last year does not equal everyday is it so you have lost what ever argument you had already

Truth seeker

#85 Re: #76

2016-04-27 13:36

#76: -  

Don't get too close to the hgv then you won't be concerned with it rolling 

respect all road users

2016-04-29 15:20

Due to blockages of Sutton bank due to large, heavy vehicles. Separately the heavy traffic thunders through the village.

#87 Re: Re:

2016-05-05 10:27

#84: truth seeker - Re:  

The truth is that N Yorks Highways do not up date their figures. Did you not think that it was a strange coincidence that the sign has stated 74 for at least the last 3 years.

Furthermore, the police do not attend, and therefore do not log every blockage.

If you want to justify calling yourself the "truth seeker" then you need to put some effort into seeking. You might then earn some credibility.

#88 Re: Re: #76

2016-05-05 10:39

#85: Truth seeker - Re: #76 

Approx. 2 weeks ago a wagon stalled on the bank and then started to reverse / roll back towards a line of 4 following cars some 30m behind. The first car had to take aversive action by overtaking just as 2 other wagons were travelling down the bank. The first wagon braked and the second wagon also slammed on its brakes causing it to jack-knife. This was close to being a major accident.

Your comment is not very helpful!

2016-06-02 10:57

it is utterly ridiculous that caravans are banned but HGV vehicles struggle to get up this road and often do not manage it. Where are the rains in Highways dept? why do they get so much wrong ?
I drive up here regularly and am amazed at the mess caused by these vehicles

2016-06-03 18:05

Two HGV's kept stopping on the bank and they slowed my journey for at least twenty minutes before finally getting to the top, making me late for my appointment in Malton, on Thursday 2 June 2016.

2016-07-25 16:04

I have a caravan. Happy to take the alternate route. Lorries should do the same.

2016-10-14 20:22

I have a holiday caravan in Wrelton and use this road frequently, having been held up many times and a few close misses with HGV s I think that it is time this was sorted out.

#93 Re: Sign for A19

2017-05-02 14:41

#1: Caroline Artingstoll -  

This sign is fine, but assumes all traffic is coming from the South.

What about vehicles coming from the North, and from the West through Thirsk itself.Surely the sign should be placed on the Sutton Rd., before Bagby lane end so vehicles could divert thro Bagby and find and proceed to an alternative route

Regards

Colin Brown

Mick

2017-05-27 08:09

We drove up Sutton Bank yesterday. We followed a car for a few miles before the bank and several miles after with the driver behaving and driving perfectly normally. However on the 1 mile stretch up the bank she drove as if her brain had been turned off. About 20mph. Wrong gear. No attempt to flow. Just terrible   People drove up here years ago there's absolutely no problem except for the ones who shouldn't be there, or on the roads at all for that matter

Lustra

#95 Re:

2017-06-15 05:22

#94: Mick -  

Good mick thoughts but need some extra infor My name is Peggo