West Liberty University College Hall & Ceramics

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition West Liberty University College Hall & Ceramics.

2015-04-21 19:41

I have many great memories in the Annex Building, aka the Ceramics building. You need a place like this to do an art like this at any time because it is a time sensitive art. Not only that, but it was a fun and relaxed part of my day. I had a Ceramics class every semester of my college career and I wish future students would know what it was like! Furthermore, the professor taught me more than how to form pots but interesting ways to look at life and other arts! C'mon, West Lib. Get with it.

2015-04-21 19:46

The spaces the administration is proposing to close are essential learning spaces for the art and music majors. WLU's CFO is misguided and his poor performance is hurting students.

2015-04-21 19:51

Please do not close College Hall and the Ceramics building. It is going to hurt Art and Music majors greatly. The CFO is making the wrong decision of doing this!

2015-04-21 20:19

I am signing this as an alumni because I utilized both buildings while I was a student at West Liberty University. I am infuriated that these buildings may be shut down, and it makes it seem like the administration sees the arts as an expendable part of the campus to cut. College Hall is important to the music department and events on campus, a place where there is ample seating for concerts and a beautiful stage that should be kept open for student use. I've had classes and went to many events in that building, and it would be a shame to close it. The Annex was where I spent two semesters learning ceramics and it was one of the most challenging and rewarding classes on this campus, and unless there are plans to move this class, the building should stay open. The university is hurting itself by alienating a vital part of its campus, targeting the Arts and Communications department with its cuts. We will not stand for this, and I hope the right decision is made, lest the university wants to see the student population drop dramatically.

2015-04-21 20:22

Because College Hall is the one place I can go to to get away from people. There is an art studio in College Hall that is extremely helpful to some of the art students I know use it.

2015-04-21 20:33

I am a graduate of West Liberty art education department. I value art education in the area!! We need to keep it not get rid of it. If you want to invest in our youth in this area and country invest in the fine arts!!!! Build a new building for the fine arts!!

2015-04-21 20:36

Students need these resources available. If changes like these are to be made, a greater attempt to involve the students in the making of these decisions should be necessary. It is largely our money that the school uses for its resources - do not take these resources away from us. Keep both buildings, do not undercut the arts department, and do not get rid of majors and their accreditations when so many students study under them.

2015-04-21 20:38

Of all the things West Liberty has done in recent years to make or save a buck, this is, by far, the most shameful. You cannot justify erecting a brand new science building to accomodate its respective majors, then turn around and axe indespensible resources for other majors.  The art and music majors pay just as much individual tuition as everyone else and deserve to have adequate facilities available to them.  If this is how West Liberty treats its paying, hard-working students, I can only say that I am glad to have already graduated and am ashamed to call myself an alumnus.

2015-04-21 21:04

I spent most of my time in the ceramics studio and it is where I found Out that I loved pottery. It wasn't a class that I had planned on taking but I did and I fell in love. If it was to be taken away, who's to say whose futures will be affected.

2015-04-21 21:20

My son is planning on attending West Liberty University to be a music major. I also have several former students who are following their passion in the arts at WLU. Don't take from the arts!

2015-04-21 21:48

Art classes are important and these fields re important. Spread the cuts around.
Kenneth Powell

2015-04-21 21:56

Cuts are necessary in times of economic duress. However, as an alumnus of WLU, I find it entirely fatuous and disgraceful that I am casually asked--unsolicited, mind you--for donations on top of the debts I already owe; this, of course, also being in light of increasing tuition costs, failure to substantially increase the pay wages and benefits of both professorial staff and students, and so forth. Perhaps most alarming is that these "necessary" cuts are announced with little warning or notice to whom are affected the greatest by this: the student body. If WLU is having difficulty with solvency, then mayhap they would do well to not hire disgraced former employees and reward them with six-figure salaries and a $1000 per month parking allotment. It certainly has not yet been tried.

2015-04-21 21:59

Please sign this petition. Music and art are important not only in the primary and secondary levels, but also the undergraduate and graduate levels of education. If these places were closed when I attended West Liberty I wouldn't have had the experiences and knowledge gained from the use of these facilities. Please take the time and sign the petition so that current and future students can use these facilities.

2015-04-21 22:07

Alumni of the music department

2015-04-21 22:15

I lived in college hall during my 4 years as a music major. It has history and is needed for performance.
I understand the college is in trouble with money but don't make students suffer/

2015-04-21 22:17

This effects all majors taking place in the FAB. The school would lose countless students include potentials of this happens. Creating an even worse budget issue

2015-04-21 22:30

It is surprising that these changes were proposed without the involvement from those it will affect the most. West Liberty University should be increasing its support of the music and art departments; not eliminating vital parts of it. Without a robust music and arts program people would not only lose interest in West Liberty University; but it would be devastating to the Greater Wheeling Area.
encu

2015-04-21 22:38

The ceramics studio inside of the Annex building is a vital part of the ceramics classes. The location and flexible hours make it crucial to the art building process. Clay is a very difficult medium to work with because it has small time-windows in which it has to be worked with. The process takes hours and has many different stages. It cannot be contained within a building that has hours of operation. I can’t tell you how many nights between 1 AM and 5 AM that I was in the Annex building doing pottery. This studio would be impossible to relocate on campus.

With that being said, if the plan is to get rid of the ceramics classes altogether, that would be a terrible mistake. These classes are so much more than just art classes. Within a single semester I learned history, cultural diversity, chemistry, math, environmental earth science, and pottery all in one class. We didn’t just go over information and then forget about it either. We were able to apply the information and therefor I will always remember the concepts we learned. That class was one of the most engaging and difficult classes I have ever take at West Liberty. We took notes, had quizzes, had tests, and wrote essays. It was extremely hard work, but it was also extremely fun and relaxing. Who would have thought that learning history, cultural diversity, chemistry, math, and environmental earth science could be so much fun? Please do not do away with the ceramics studio and classes. That is an experience every single student at West Liberty University should have the opportunity to take advantage of.

2015-04-21 22:40

How can you take places that are considered home to the arts at WLU? It is recognized as a liberal arts school, but doing things like this will cause enrollment to go down, loss of accreditation for programs and take away history of the school. Taking away these buildings is like shutting down the heart of the school. The school already has bad PR from the mistakes of those "in charge", why create even more by shutting these building down. You will not only see a decrease in enrollment but also alum respect and support 

2015-04-21 22:59

Because every schools needs the arts. And closing one building won't help fund another

2015-04-21 23:14

I signed this petition because I feel that it is absurd to punish hard working art and music students to compensate for the Administration's misspending of college funds.

2015-04-21 23:30

I think the university should be held accountable if they attempt this, these student take out multiple loans and go in debt for LOTS of years, then their majors are let go with a oh well attitude, if they want to ruin these students starting college career, maybe they should have to reimburse these student their tuition, since their gonna have to go elsewhere or switch their majors and accrue even more cost.

2015-04-21 23:33

I am signing this petition as a WLU Senior about to graduate. I chose West Liberty for its outstanding art program and mastery level art professors, but I also chose this school and the art department here because I saw potential for growth and diversity in the future to accommodate future art majors. It is a shame to see other majors getting brand-new and updated facilities while the art department is continuously struggling. As a student,  I paid for all of my own art supplies, printing and paper, an extra fee to utilize resources, etc. that has added up to thousands of dollars out of my own pocket. I am sad to see West Liberty administration making poor choices and limiting the necessary spaces for art majors who contribute so much to this university. 

2015-04-21 23:36

West Liberty has an outstanding arts,music program and it would be a shame to lose the momentum that the new direction has begun

2015-04-21 23:52

College Hall is a beautiful facility. I can not imagine the "gains" outweigh the "costs" to WLU's Music and Arts programs ( and the university in general). I speak in terms not solely of dollars!! Please do not close this facility.