Saving CYTO

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Saving CYTO.

Shannen Doherty

#76 You cannot close CYTO.

2011-03-15 18:28

Croydon Youth Theatre Organisation changed my life. Before I joined I saw myself as a chubby teenager who would never be accepted. From the moment I walked down those stairs to the green room I felt like I belonged, not only are the members friendly and outgoing, the tutors are as well, they make you feel like you can be something, like you’re special. After only a few weeks at CYTO I gained so much confidence in myself and realised I had a true passion for performing, and even though I’m not the best singer, dancer or actress, CYTO didn’t care, they still included me in whatever I wanted to be included in, be it musicals, dance shows or sound and lighting.

You learn things at CYTO, things that other young people don’t get to learn because they don’t have CYTO. You learn to accept everyone and everything, there’s no prejudice at CYTO and if there was then they wouldn’t accept it. You learn to be a be a performer and you put on these amazing productions that mean something, if you’ve never seen a CYTO production then I urge you to get the DVDs before shutting it down. These aren’t your average performances by kids and teenagers, they are amazing, they can educate you and entertain you all at once and the performers themselves are second to none.

To take away this place, a second home for most, would be such a mistake I can’t even describe it. CYTO is such an important part of all members’ – past and present – lives that taking it away from them and the future members would be disastrous. Even by looking at this petition and all the comments and signatures surely you can see that CYTO is worth keeping? I constantly hear things about our community, CYTO is like the definition of community, it brings together people from all ages, ethnicities and religions and makes them come together. Do you really want to lose one of the only places in Croydon with community spirit? I highly doubt it.

You cannot close CYTO.
Daniel Baker

#77 A Horrendous Mistake...

2011-03-15 19:01

CYTO is literally, my life. I have been going there for 2 1/2 years and I have never looked back. I can honestly and truly say this, but the people at CYTO (including the staff) are much better than anyone I know at school. Before CYTO life was dull, nothing wrong, but there was just that little bit missing, the little bit which wanted to me to do something. From the moment I stepped through those doors I was shy (if anyone can remember that side of me) and CYTO has changed me into a boy who, now at 16, still bounces off the walls. No additives. No preservatives. Just the enjoyment of being there with proffesionals doing what I want. The first show that I did, Dealer's Choice, included many setbacks, but it was an unforgettable experience that I will never get it again. Everyone was at least 5 years older than me, and being the youngest, I didn't know what to expect. But the cast (all male) took me in and, as it was such an intimate show, I felt fantastic.
I've had that feeling with many other shows, shows like West Side Story, and I actually dropped out of a school show because our production of WSS was fantastic to be in.
It would be a major loss to Croydon if they lost CYTO, and I truly mean that. I have already performed at the Fairfield Halls and the Broadway Theatre in Catford with CYTO in my somewhat short time compared to others, this being as well as going on tour as well as Scotland with the breathtaking piece of theatre that is Shank.
Young or Old, I have made many fantastic friends there, mostly older, and I always though that I would never get any friends above/below my age group. The people at CYTO changed that. They have changed me.
SAVE CYTO. Its one of Croydon's only hopes for the brand image of bad youth's to go away.
matthew bloss

#78 cyto is fantastic

2011-03-15 21:28

i have only been going to CYTO for one year but even in that short period time I've had a thrilling time at CYTO. it is an amazing theatre club and really brings out the best in people through sparking their confidence. I hadn't been in a play for 9 years before I starred in a play at CYTO and it made me feel much better re-living the old days. It gives youths of our generation something to do and enjoy throughout the amount of time they would spend at CYTO. loosing such an amazing Atmospherical theatre club will break many young actors and actresses hearts. it is fun, exciting and everyone there is friendly and sociable. it's a club which helps take all the worries of the week away through emphases of emotions in acting and transforming into someone you're not. it can also help one to see things in another perspective through the eyes of others. different scenarios can be seen from anyone's view in acting and it is run by a passionate and clever teacher.

please don't close us down. our public needs more clubs like this and if CYTO was to end, these younger people won't have anything to do on a friday evening except watch TV and work. everyone in relation to CYTO will feel as if a chunk of there passion has been torn from them as the feel of the club is phenomenal.
John Berry

#79 Open your eyes to the potential.

2011-03-15 22:40

When someone from the Council or Government read these thoughts and opinions, I hope they see the potential in the people writing them. How can a group of like minded individuals, all incredibly passionate about CYTO be ignored? They are articulated, sincere and inspiringly honest about the impact of such a place and its staff and yet being ignored! It would take a brief moment to read but a handful of the views expressed to convince even the hardest nosed politician that money must be saved elsewhere. CYTO has contributed to the surrounding area like no other Youth Theatre in the country, However it hasn't only been the arts that win here. The building becomes a sanctuary, safe haven, walk in centre and many more wonderful things to disenfranchised young people. All the wonderful things a church can be and yet the power and effect of such buildings looses any meaning to big wigs, who cant see past their archaic view that the arts are Mickey mouse subjects to be thrown out with the dishwater. The People of Croydon are being shown that no matter what they care for or how much they wish things to be right, someone will tell them they are wrong or worst than that, being ignored!
The cut will run deep. The negative feeling toward the current cuts will increase and some wounds will not heal. You will loose the great work that has been going on in Norwood Junction for nearly 50 years and cut the heart out of a warm, friendly, exceptional place that is a living breathing entity that cares for people. Something that every politician/council worker should believe in.
I work as a freelance director at CYTO, and have been given the rare and fortunate opportunity to produce theatre and film projects that some of these young people refer too, and i know full well how lucky we have all been to have such a platform for expression. However I have also worked for Croydon Council. I have worked in and around Croydon for the last 10 years at Selhurst Boys school ( closed down) and on the PAYP and Bridge to schools schemes. I understand what it is that we are asking for. Money has to be found from somewhere, but money can be used far more efficiently in the Croydon area. I know this to be true, having seen first hand the waste and unnecessary spending on such schemes.
The energy that can be created by positive thinking and action, should be used to help nurture these people, not cut them down. Money should be spent in increasing CYTO, expanding on their current program and building on the fantastic work that happens everyday there. I for one will do everything in my power to make sure CYTO and the ethos its prescribes will continue to grow, however much we are ignored.
Kali Hughes

#80 Re: saving the croydon youth theatre

2011-03-15 23:04

jane lee

#81 save it

2011-03-15 23:08

I met some wonderfull people at cyto and it helped a lot when I needed something happy it would be a real shame to loose it as it was a big part of my life and should be for others in the years to come

#82 Re: saving the croydon youth theatre

2011-03-15 23:17

lisa rutter

2011-03-16 00:00

Save the Arts
jake howell

2011-03-16 00:08

jkhksd
samantha dunbar

2011-03-16 00:41

SAVING CYTO
Dean Lundy

#86 Save CYTO

2011-03-16 00:59

During its 47 successful years the Croydon Youth Theatre Organisation has given thousands of young people the opportunity to take part in theatre productions of the highest quality, song and dance and workshops that develop the skills of our Croydon youth. I used to be amazed when I heard of someone young or old that had reached the top step in their chosen path and had come from Croydon but not now, because I have an insight into what it takes to set them on the right path.

I see CYTO working with young people helping to raise their standards, their attainment and their aspirations for theatre now and in the future, why? Because I have two children of my own that attend and are now seeking their path where one day they might make Croydon even prouder of its young people’s achievements. CYTO inspires tolerance and empowers young people to become more responsible, giving access to young people of different ages and backgrounds provides opportunities to make new friendships and build on existing ones, removing barriers to participation by disabled young people.

What is also particularly apparent at CYTO is how young people build up a personal network of supportive ties and how some of the older members help bridge changing settings or circumstances during the formative years of a young person’s life, which can be challenging. This is because of the age range CYTO is open to, 13 to 25.

Our Croydon young people depend more than adults on their immediate neighbourhood for their social life. As such places for our young people to meet should be an important part of community provision that provide four critical needs – An organisation such as CYTO is somewhere to go for activities, something to do, a space to use and share with others and a place to go for advice

If I may, I will finish with two quotes, the first is from a national newspaper last year that sums up to me the attitude of community to its young people and one that talks about the achievement of youth.

“A new playground in Nottingham has been designed without slides, climbing frames or play equipment because nearby residents were worried that older youth would hang around the site at night.”

The last is an extract taken from a review that highlights the achievement of youth.

“From the moment the audience entered it was obvious CYTO meant business. Whilst many are pondering on the growing scourge of knife crime, the members of CYTO chose the subject for a play commissioned with funds from the Croydon Youth Service.”

Which one do you prefer?

It is also worth mentioning that the play received a standing ovation from young people stunned into silence by the power of the piece, performed by current members of CYTO, it is known simply as Shank. To close CYTO would be such a huge mistake.

Alex standen

#87 Re: saving the croydon youth theatre

2011-03-16 01:54

Sarah Brigham

#88 Don't Cut

2011-03-16 09:30

Youth Theatre is the most transformational form of youth arts, if you believe in young people, community cohesion and developing our young people into confident, connected individuals then don't cut this provision. CYTO do an excellent job in their support of young people and this is a scandal
Lorraine Wallace

#89 CYTO Closure

2011-03-16 11:10

I think that the individuals that I have seen visiting and using the facilities at CYTO are young people genuinely wanting to use their talents in a creative and positive way. I fully support this petition as I clearly see this facility provides a good solid base to enhance careers and give young people the confidence they need to progress in life.
Lucie Barat

#90 Life with no public libraries or youth services.

2011-03-16 13:43

CYTO gives the kids and young people of Croydon a positive focus as well as a place to feel safe and included in an expressive/creative community. The audiences that attend the shows and events that the young people organise have the opportunity to mix with each other and also encourage the youth in positive and creative activities. If we lose a project such as this - we risk creating an isolated community and leaving young people to amuse themselves/fend for themselves on the streets. How can that be an intelligent decision made by educated politicians?
Keara McDonagh

#91 Saving CYTO

2011-03-16 13:57

CYTO is an amazing organization that provides a platform for the young people of Croydon to perfect their skills in performance, put on great plays (many of which I have seen and loved!) and quite frankly get off the street and into something that is fun and will be of benefit to them!

Please sign this petition and stop CYTO from being closed down!!
oliver mackie

#92 hi

2011-03-16 14:35

im not gd with signing the only thing is pep say that i look happey siens i go cyto that all i know

Shelly Bentley

#93 Re: saving the croydon youth theatre

2011-03-16 14:37

Please save Croydon Youth Theatre
Beth Innes

#94 Saving CYTO

2011-03-16 16:56

CYTO has been my second home since I was 14. I am now nearly 20. I'd always looked for somewhere like CYTO to perform and be creative but everywhere else was majorly out of my price range. I had basically resigned myself to school plays when a friend told me about this place called Croydon Youth Theatre. Since walking into to that Friday night worshop 6 years ago I have never looked back. CYTO is such an endearing, encouraging, accepting place that I literally can't comprehend why the council would want to shut it down. It has been one of the only the places that I have truly felt free enough to be able to express myself and cultivate my skills and experience and it has had a massive role in making me the person I am today.
I have made so many good friends there, most of which that I am sure will be lifelong ones. I have had some of the very best experiences of my LIFE there and if it closed I literally don't know what I would do with my time. To shut down CYTO would be an offence, not only to the arts and young people but to Croydon as a whole. It is one of the few truly beautiful things that croydon has to offer and the council are ripping the heart out of it for the sake of something as lifeless as money.

The council needs to realise that CYTO's young people and staff are not just another community youth group. They won't be trampled or ignored. The council is meant to be the voice of the people and we have clear evidence that they are not listening. They can carry on thinking they can smother us like this but they have another thing coming - we will not be silenced.
Skye Harris

#95 saving CYTO.

2011-03-16 18:38

just thought I'd add that CYTO is a brilliant organisation that has helped me to stay involved in theatre and after my GCSE's are done I want it to still be there so I can carry on progressing as a young actress and meet more brilliant people. Shutting down CYTO could affect many people negatively and shouldn't even be considered to be closed when it provides such brilliant skills and connections to the showbiz industry to people who don't know where to look to find help becoming themselves.
Anna Eccleston

#96 Re: saving the croydon youth theatre

2011-03-16 18:39

#97 Re: saving the croydon youth theatre

2011-03-16 18:56

Paul crisp

#98 Re: saving the croydon youth theatre

2011-03-16 19:24

Emma Jones

2011-03-16 19:54

It's projects like this that keep our kids off the streets and it is a safe space where they can learn and express themselves. More an more young people leave school or education with NOTHING! Don't close projecs that actually WORK.
Will Fitzjohn

2011-03-16 20:19