NO MORE POISONING IN DAHAB!

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition NO MORE POISONING IN DAHAB!.

Selma

#26 @ Sharaf: Define "foreigner" please ...

2011-04-10 00:03

Dear Sharaf - reading your lines I wonder if you have a slight problem with the fact that Dahab's local community is a mixture of many different nationalities. Are the ones who are living here since more than a decade and who brought business to Dahab "foreigners"???
Don't they have a voice that should be respected as well and a right to interact with their surrounding conditions?
What type of "culture" needs to throw poison over the walls of people that are living since years in Dahab, who kept their dogs since years, prepared them with microchips to enable travelling ... Honestly Is this a "habit" that should be supported?

Nobody denies that there are a lot of problems with people which are acting irresponsible. But Dahab is a place that lives from tourism - lives from foreigners. It is not new that tourism causes many types of problems - it does it all over the world. This means to open the eyes and find a way to actively deal with it - not blaming the ones, who's money is so welcome for the trouble they might cause.
Tourism is a mixes blessing - everybody knows this. To enforce tourism in any possible way (... come to my shop my friend ...) but at the same time shift the blame for upcoming local problems on it, is just pathetic and hypocritical and doesn't show any feeling for responsibility.

So if not a "foreign" driven initiative for a start - what is the better alternative? To wait and wait and wait and wait until finally someone who's ancestors ancestors already have been living in Dahab does the first step? How long e.g. do all people that live in Dahab have to wait until the "local" children have been successfully tought by someone (local - I suppose) that animals - even dirty street animals - are no toys?

It it really the nationality or origin or religion of the initiator(s) that makes the change?

me

#27 Re: Give the poisoners a realistic alternative option, don't just complain!

2011-04-10 10:01

#28 Re: poisoning

2011-04-10 13:20

#14: Zel - poisoning

I will make my holiday is no longer in Egypt.

cat lady

#29 poisoning animals

2011-04-13 03:00

If anyone poisoned any of my 7 rescued cats, I would be tempted to poison them. My cats are my "furbabies" and give me much pleasure.
Question: Why do people there poison the animals? Are there too many strays? If so, contact Alley Cat Allies here in the states. They can give advice and help in your campaign. They supply instructions for making houses for the animals and how to trap them for spaying and giving them shots. If they are up to date on rabies shots etc. they will not be so dangerous to people. I would think they would welcome them a they surely help keep the mouse and rat population under control. Mice and rats are the greatest threat to people's health.
The wanderer

#30 City and surroundings... two different things

2011-04-15 20:33

Lately I've been stalked by dogs when walking the mountains. A handful of times it's been many dogs and annoyed me enough to make me turn back and do something else. Not a good situation at all. And this 'dog wadi' is a truly horrible idea, no one should be allowed to take a whole wadi like that, in a protected area, for ANY purpose, no matter how much they pay for it. I want to walk there and see the beautiful desert, but instead I find a poorly fenced area with hordes of potentially rabid dogs that come rushing at me. I'm not scared by dogs at all, but anyone who is not calm in such a situation could end up being eaten by these beasts.

My conclusion is, the mountains do need this poison, especially the landfill areas. Spay and neuter is never going treat enough dogs to keep the population under control. However, I agree there should be no poison in the city, as it could be dangerous to children, cats and non stray dogs. Hopefully the mountain bait will drive more strays out of the city. Sorry animal lovers, but we need no strays at all, they are not welcome in Dahab.
Sharaf

#31 Re: @ Sharaf: Define "foreigner" please ...

2011-04-16 10:33

#26: Selma - @ Sharaf: Define "foreigner" please ...

Dear Selma,

I think you have misinterpreted the point I was making and perhaps in doing so you've actually highlighted the issue of this cultural divide of which the dog issue is merely a symptom.Tourism obviously is a mixed blessing, it has brought positive economic changes to the area but also huge negative cultural impacts...that is a totally separate issue we could debate! What we need to do in Dahab is not create factions of foreigners (and I will call them this as anyone who is not Bedouin could be classed as this - it is  not meant to be derogative in any way, just a fact) against locals. The longer-term resident foreigners have more responsibility than those who stay for 1-2 years, in order to educate other people to integrate, tolerate and respect local culture (how many 10-year + European residents speak anything beyond basic conversational Arabic for example?).  Btw if I remember rightly there was only 1 dog in Dahab 10 years ago! Promoting real integration is in all foreigners' interests as otherwise their own way of life will be affected by escalating tensions.

I think you will find a minority of kids in any part of the world abusing animals, rural or city-dwelling, it is unfortunately a fact of life and Bedouin children are no worse than kids in Europe who drag live dogs behind cars or throw them off high rise buildings. The equivalent of the dog wadi woman here would have been arrested in Europe and the animals taken off her, placed in an animal home and ultimately put to sleep! Being in Dahab has allowed her to be irresponsible towards animals in the same way many foreigners are here. It's so easy to benefit from the love and companionship of a dog when you are single and lonely and then just dump it on the street when you decide to move on.

How many foreigers signing this petition have actually spent significant time and effort caring for and adopting strays in their own countries and seen the number of animals that still need to put to sleep despite spaying being routine?  For a select few, is this just a recent fixation, a venting opportunity for deeper problems with integrating into a contrasting culture and an attempt to change Dahab into a more familiar, comfortable setting in which to live? British people in parts of Spain have tried to do the same, making Costa del Sol and many other coastal regions so British that their entire character and communities were destroyed, replaced by ignorant, intolerant sun-seekers. Eventually they weren't welcome anymore as tensions reached breaking point and their houses were subsequently taken off them and they were forced to leave. Don't underestimate the power of local people and their limits of tolerance despite recognition of the economic gains from tourism.

A recent posting on Facebook about an old Bedouin women being evil and feeding someone's dog rice with poison on the seafront are indicative of this deep-rooted intolerance. Not only were the comments completely inflammatory and a personal attack on an elder of the community but they show a deep hatred for local people. Has it occured to the owner that the dog in question wanders up and down the seafront urinating against trees and on the pavement where the woman sits selling her handicrafts. I'm not surprised she wanted to get rid of it even if this allegation is true! I saw the same dog in question (a 'pet') playing with strays and scavenging out of rubbish bags outside a hotel while the owner was getting drunk in the bar inside. Does this appear to be a well-cared for pet, is she really concerned about it eating poison? To me it is pure hypocrisy and an excuse to have a dig at Bedouins. A positive thing coming out of this poisoning is I have actually seen long-term foreigners buying leads and walking their dogs responsibly for the first time on the streets. If this is what it takes then I can only see benefits for the pets as owners start taking care of them. I remember one girl telling me she couldn't afford a lead and collar for her dog - if you can't afford a lifetime commitment to vet's bills, vaccinations and leads and collars as well as sufficient food for your dog you shouldn't have the right to have one in any country. She certainly won't be taking her dog back to Europe when she moves on!

Wanderer mentions being scared of attacks from rabid dogs in the mountains - this is a reality for Bedouins most of the time. Friends have been chased by packs of dogs regularly whilst cycling. Kids play on beaches where dog faeces are rife and risk blindness if they ingest any. These threats from strays are a daily reality for people in most developing countries whereas Europeans don't understand having lived in countries where dogs are effectively controlled. Who can blame them for wanting to protect their community from disease, loss of livestock and attacks on children as a priority with the means they have available? I agree with you that in this case the religious aspect is minor, the problem is a ubiqitous one faced by humans throughout the world regardless of religious beliefs.

I hope you will think of the human side of this issue, after all this is a problem created by humans and needs to be solved quickly and pragmatically without emotion if tourism and a peaceful way of life for all residents and local wildlife is to continue. Ultimately the well-cared for dogs that remain will benefit too! The dog poisoning in gardens is tragic and of course should not have happened; I am not condoning the use of poison, merely pointing out it is the only current option for local people to control the stray dog population throughout the country. In the meantime, the Animal Welfare group here is making great progress in alerting all residents to possible threats to their pets as well as doing their best to reduce suffering of the great number of strays. What will be done with the 200+ (soon to be 300,400..) unwanted unsterilised hungry dogs in the dog wadi is still unresolved but I hope something can be done by our community before summer as their suffering and slow deaths will only increase as temperatures rise...these are not one woman's pets but have now been left as a problem for the whole of Dahab to deal with and certainly do no favours in terms of inter-cultural relations...

illusionist

#32 Re: Give the poisoners a realistic alternative option, don't just complain!

2011-04-16 15:52

#24: Sharaf - Give the poisoners a realistic alternative option, don't just complain!

Dear Sharaf and dear Selma,

I´m sure both of you are right, - someone had to start searching for solution.... and the "dahabians of egyptian origin" didn´t seem to do so  (I´m sure both of you agree that cruelty and poisoning is NOT the solution)  but also true, as sharaf said.... there won´t be a longtime and sufficient way without minding fears culture etc. of the locals....

Sharaf, - be the first local to join, - bring your friend, bring you thoughts, - be the bridge and make the start.

- All of us agree that wannabe-animallovers and  once a week animal-lovers won´t help or rather make it worse, - no use blaming the whole problem on western people or tourism only ... but also no use in discussing who brings the money ....  the problem exists and a humane and lasting solution is needed, and on this point we all agree again.

I think both of you on one table to discuss would be the best option to get a realistic longtime solution, - for example a neutering programme the locals will accept and support, and education on both sides... how to treat animals and how to respect oneanother.

Get together, - easiest chance to do so : 21.4, 7:30 pm, join the awd meeting and share your thoughts, you are very welcome !!!

2011-05-14 13:01

Please stop dog Poisoning! It's never acceptable to poison a living thing just cause we think we don't need them. These beautiful animals suffer enough. we need to start a spay/neuter project instead.

2011-06-11 22:26

stop this cruelty

2011-06-26 22:52

Please stop this cruel way of reducing the numbers of dogs in South sinai, with the support of Animal welfare groups and funding neutering can control numbers, puppies being born will significanlty reduce the number of stray dogs- please realise that dogs and all small animals are gods creatures, cats the favourite of the The Prophet (PBUH) he was kind to a female dog and gave her a drink of his own water rahter than see her suffer.
Mad cunt

#36 Re: Re: @ Sharaf: Define "foreigner" please ...

2011-07-11 19:11

2011-11-01 00:21

This Is A Evil And Cruel Act And Must Be Stopped Animals Feel Pain And Fear As We Do They Are Not Here To Be Used And Abused
pimbo

#38 Re: Other deaths...

2011-11-01 13:26

#1: Mady - Other deaths...

they are poisoning again animals in dahab.

1 cat dead and 2 are very sick atm.. and all in the last 2 days...

لا يجوز لقتل الحيوان إذا كنت لا تأكل منها.
السم حيوان، وسوف تحترق في الجحيم.
Animal Lover

#39 Re: Re: dingdong

2012-01-17 22:44

#13: Gina - Re: dingdong

agree agree agree...... stop feckin moaning and get the word out.

2012-02-07 06:08

It breaks my heart the way animals are treated in Egypt . I don't know what can one do to change this . I think that we can start by teaching Egyptian children how to love animals instead of abusing them and hurting them .

2012-02-07 12:34

Kastrieren anstatt vergiften Schweinerei so etwas!

2012-03-10 23:13

For our darling Sheelagh, who was poisoned last month.

2012-04-02 04:44

stop this cruelty there is no need for it

#44 Justified Season 3 Episode 12

2012-04-02 15:41

Are you ready to watch the new episode of Justified Season 3.Here it comes today Justified Season 3 Episode 12.All who are interested in this show can watch Justified Season 3 Episode 12 Online Free with our streaming link...

https://gist.github.com/2282390
Spirit8forever

2012-10-22 12:32

Stop the cruel killing of animals and start organizing the sterilization of dog % cats.
"If you can't love animals, you are not able to love a human being!"

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2012-10-24 15:17

Sarah Mohab

#47 Stop Cruelty

2012-10-24 15:19

This is cruel and God will judge each killer in hell!

Please stop this while you can, and save innocent souls.
kelvin

#48 REMEDIES for dog poisoning IMPORTANT

2012-10-28 00:26

Everyone needs to go to dr amira and get the injeections of entropine or whatever they use to neutralise it. also if someone sees a dying dog it may be possible to track those doin git and follow them administering entropine or making the dogs sick. i cured a sick dog once who had been poisoned, i dont know what with, probably rat poison, it was a bedouin who did it. I made him eat salt and drink lots of water, also sea water can work, and maybe lemon. it worked and after a few hours he was okay. just keep meking them vomit until they cant any more and clean out the guts like that as much as possible. just a thought. Imagine in St Catherine where the only vet who could give the medicine was shooting dogs. But of course he'd sell it for profit... :(