Reinstate Elvis' name on the "USS Arizona"

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Reinstate Elvis' name on the "USS Arizona".

2016-10-24 06:55

Because I am a elvis fan

2016-11-15 05:15

I have visited the Arizona memorial 2 times on visits to Hawaii. I was shocked when I heard rumours that there is no mention of Elvis Presley on the sight at the memorial. In fact it was Colonel Tom Parker who suggested the idea to Elvis to perform a covert prior to shooting a movie in Hawaii. As Elvis Presley was such a huge icon in America's history I find it extremely disturbing to see no mention of this piece of history at the the Memorial to the the lost soles of the Airizona. Surely it would not detract from the site!
Rob Skirde
Silkwood, Q
Australia
11/15/2016

2017-05-08 12:18

He made a major contribution to this historical event in our history. Thanks to Elvis and others the men who died on the Arizona will live on forever...... thanks to this monument
Briar Rose

2017-10-24 15:55

I think his name should be re-instated due to the fact the money he raised was the biggest private donation they received, this is not to mention the £5000 personal money he donated, and the fact he himself also bought his own ticket to the concert and paid for all his family and friend's tickets also at a $100 a ticket.  This memorial would not have been built for a great many years if Elvis had not done this concert as besides the money it raised, it also renewed interest in it because the fundraising drive had petered out.  There is no obvious mention on the Arizona website as regards him, it's all about the architect, who as good as he may have been, could not have seen his vision built if it wasn't for Elvis.  

$64,000 is and was a lot of money in those days, and if the people that run this memorial are not happy about having received this money and who it came from, perhaps they should re-donate these funds to a Charity that will appreciate it and at least have some honour when it comes to their opinions.  

They also ought to realise that many visitors who come and visit this memorial and pay to get in, do so because they also come to think of Elvis and to see what he helped build.  So even now, he is still helping from beyond the grave.

#655 Re:

2018-05-18 10:35

#51: -  

I have been a fan of Elvis Presley's since the 1950s, and I still love him very much but there was never a plaque at the USS Arizona. Elvis was presented 2 plaques at the memorial, both of which he took home. You can still see them on display at Graceland, he did not want public recognition over or with the 1200 men who died on the Arizona. HE SAID NO. He has a tribute wall to him at Bloch Arena where the concert was.

stillhere

#657 Re:

2019-05-27 09:58

#52: -  

#658 Elvis and U SS memorial

2019-05-27 10:09

#651: -  

If a contribution  was made and the acknowledgement revoked 

Because  of  a human beings flaws no one's name would be on anthing to have done this would be akin to declaring your self perfection and we both know that is hardly the truth

Judgeo

#659 Re: Arizona Memorial & Elvis

2019-08-15 16:15

#3: -  

Well said! 100% his name should be CLEARLY shown. He served in the military, performed live specifically to raise funds for the memorial and, single handedly, raised recognition for further funds to ensure the lovely memorial was constructed. America's citizens should be proud of those that died and of Elvis.....sort it!

CD

#660 Re: you are really informed and very correct. He kicked off the fund raising for the Arizona.

2020-03-04 01:07

#51: -  

CD

#661 His Last Live Concert

2020-03-04 01:55

Elvis was on of the most patriotic Super Stars ever.  He only kicked off this event because his visibility and support made it much easier to raise the funds.  He served his country with honor...in a unit n Germany, he understood how important this project was to the families of the service men lost.  He was very proud to do be able to do this.  Why would ANYONE believe that his contribution should be wiped away?

Lucy

#662 Re: His Last Live Concert

2020-05-06 15:51

#661: CD - His Last Live Concert 

Are you suggesting that this was Elvis' last live concert. I'm sure I read somewhere that he performed in Vegas for several years from 1969 and spent the next 8 years performing live arou d the USA.