Hands Off Hartlebury Common

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Hands Off Hartlebury Common.

2011-05-31 01:06

It is important to keep the biodiversity of the common and access for the public. This can only be achieved by maintaining the common in its current form.

2011-05-31 01:10

I want the trees to stay.

2011-05-31 17:01

i went over the common to show a child the tuffets but they were covered in chopped down trees.it is very tragic after it has been here all these years and naturally beautiful

2011-05-31 17:03

i went over the common to see the tuffets but they were covered in chooped down trees

2011-06-01 03:26

Heathland restoration in the southern counties of England makes more sense because of trying to restore suitable habitat for the Nightjar and the Dartford Warbler.Here in the midlands we are way beyond the range of both these birds so heathland restoration has no real benefit.
steve mccarron
The author of this petition

#6 Re: sanity in our open spaces

2011-06-01 03:32

#5: -

Thank you for your considered response, you are quite correct, hartlebury common is too isolated to have any real benefit to the mass of countryside it resides in. The supposed benefit is outweighed by the loss of this enviroment

steve mccarron

#7 Re: sanity in our open spaces

2011-06-01 03:34

#4: -

This is the systematic butchery of OUR shared space. Thank you for commenting. Steve

2011-06-01 03:34

Having spoken with the rangers on many occasions even they do not seem to have any justifiable reasons for the changes.They just seem to be doing what they are told. The argument I put forward is that the Common has evolved over the last 50 years or so into what it is now and what Natural England are doing is actually interfering with the natural evolvement of the common. It appears to me that all that use the common do not want the trees removed and the character of the common changed artificially.
steve mccarron

#9 Re: sanity in our open spaces

2011-06-01 03:36

#2: -

So they should, the common has maintained itself very well without interference. Well done

steve mccarron

#10 Re: sanity in our open spaces

2011-06-01 03:39

#8: -

I could not have not have put it better myself, thank you, this is the most important space we have locally, it is a paradise for ALL sorts of insects, heath and woodland.

2011-06-01 14:31

From a common man walking his dog on common land, thank you for raising this petition.

#12 Re: It is important to keep the biodiversity of the common and access for the public.

2011-06-01 17:02

#1: -

Currentley the ratio in terms of land area is 90% heath and scrub 10% trees. Not bad considering there has been no management of the common for 100 yrs. The idea that there was some golden age when there was even more heath and scrub is entirley a deliberate falsification, fabrication of history to suit there own ends.

#13 Re: sanity in our open spaces

2011-06-01 17:08

#11: -

Thank you. Here we have one of the most succesfully diverse places open to any person. It satisfies the needs of so many different people. This is OUR space, hands off I say. Please tell as many people as you can about this campaign. Thank you

2011-06-01 17:23

As a person that regularly walks with my girlfriend around the common i have to say that we are very upset by the news of the proposed changes.

2011-06-01 18:23

Stop the chainsaw vandals before it's too late! This is all about justifying someone's position at county hall. Absolute desicration of some wonderful woodland walks.

2011-06-01 18:29

Please save the trees, this is vandalism on a massive scale.
steve mccarron

#17 Re: sanity in our open spaces

2011-06-01 21:19

#15: -

I cannot emphasise too much that they are attempting to restore the common to some earlier, fantasy appearence. Natural England say that due diligence has been excercised and that the public have been consulted about all the changes to Hartlebury Common. Did YOU know about these changes? No of course not, we are all to stupid apparentley to understand there position and so they keep there schemes very, quiet. Instead, we have pathetic signage, simplistic, propagandist litereature and lies.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, TELL AS MANY PEOPLE ABOUT THIS PETITION BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

steve mccarron

#18 Re:

2011-06-01 21:30

#3: -

Diverse visitors enjoy the common for diverse reasons but it is the simple joy of the natural, nature built enviroment which is a wonder to all. I sympathise with you, tell as many people as you can about this site and petition.

Steve

2011-06-02 00:44

This common is one of the few places locally where us non landowners can walk unrestricted and enjoy 'natural' countryside. I say 'natural' because I subscribe to the view that the common is evolving in a natural way and should be left to evolve without interference. Surely the purpose of an area such as the common is to encourage the public to engage with it? This is done by feet on the ground. Will I be walking my dog on a lead through cattle with my 6 yr old son? No! I am very aware of the dangers of dogs in the vicinity of cattle. So we will be effectively banned from this common. No longer will my son be able to engage in the wildlife, vegetation and fauna which is so abundant on the common. Another example of those elected to protect out interests failing to look after the interests of the electorate.

steve mccarron

#20 Re:

2011-06-02 03:08

#19: -

Thank you so much for leaving your comment. It is heartning because I am working hard to reverse what I am constntly told is the irreversible. This cannot be allowed to happen, for the sake of our children, for the sake of our friends and the wider community.

Please, please, please tell everybody you can about this impending disaster. This place is the most valuble space open to the common person, locally and abroad, lets have a cessation of this butchery now. Support me  and I promise I will do all I can to stop this.

steve McCarron

steve mccarron

#21 Re:

2011-06-02 03:11

#16: -

Tell all the people you know, support me, I will do the best I can.

Best wishes

Steve

2011-06-02 08:31

I walk my dogs on Hartlebury Common twice a day and am devastated by the way they have cut trees down and not cleared up - a real fire hazard in this dry weather - talk about chain saw massacre. Why not let nature take its course. The cost of the fencing just defies belief in times of cut backs and recession

2011-06-02 17:55

I noticed that in the space of 24 hours, the notices placed around the common to inform the users of this impending act of vandalism have disappeared. Obvious that the powers that be do not take kindly to views contrary to their own and wish to stiffle free speech.
steve mccarron

#24 Re: sanity in our open spaces

2011-06-03 01:02

#23: -

The most consistent aspect of what they do is subterfuge and lies. The common has always looked more or less as it does now. It has not been managed before in the way that they propose; manage is a derogotary term as no one has intentionally subjected the place to the imposition that it now is threatened with.

Please pass on these facts to whoever you can, thank you for commenting, these actions have to stop as this is the most wonderful space that we have locally. It will be an artificial landscape with NO ecological benefit.

Thanks, Steve.

#25 Re: Re: sanity in our open spaces

2011-06-03 18:40

#24: steve mccarron - Re: sanity in our open spaces

Steve,

I wish you well in fighting this environmental vandalism.

Here in Surrey and neighbouring Hampshire & West Sussex, thousands of acres of woodland (most of it naturally regenerating) have been decimated since 1998 (when "SPAs" were first designated).

In addition to massive loss of wildlife caused by the deforestation (there is not much left alive after the bulldozers beloved by organisations such as the National Trust, Surrey Wildlife Trust and the MOD go in, and which is often followed by soaking the land with glyphosate and asulox herbicides); many of the areas also now burn every time there is a dry spell (which is more and more often here).

The Forestry Commission recently published stats on woodland loss stating that (at least) around 10,000 acres of woodland have been destroyed in the pursuit of "open habitats" since 1997. However this will not be classed as permanent loss until 10 years of deforestation have been confirmed.

In most cases there were no consultations, and such consultations that have taken place have been a sham, either by circulating publicity to as few people as possible or by the ignoring of the responses of local people, so I fear your resistance is destined to fail.

Good luck anyway.

Surrey resident.