Save Raigmore Maternity Beds

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Raigmore Maternity Beds.

Michelle

2011-06-16 19:47

Absolutely ridiculous closing ward 9. R there less babies being born. NOT. Raigmore is the only maternity unit for miles. Hope these bosses come 2 their senses and think about the mums and babies of highlands and islands

2011-06-16 20:14

my daughter was born in raigmore because we werent allowed to give birth in forwilliam,when it covers for such a huge area and so many mothers how can they possibly think of doing away with beds.new mothers need more support not less!

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-06-16 21:10

2011-06-16 21:24

More cut backs to try save money, the people that are going to suffer are the mothers and babies, midwives will prob lose jobs and more pressure added to community midwives! It's already hard enough for newly trained nurses etc to get a job!
Why not get rid of some top executive guys that come up with the silly ideas, which probably take up most of the the wage bill!!

2011-06-16 21:26

Having experienced the maternity services both in Ayrshire and at Raigmore, whilst the staff were highly proficient, the facilities at Raigmore need far more investment to come close to where Ayrshire were 4 years ago - certainly not a reduction in spending.

2011-06-16 22:56

Raigmore has the ONLY maternity hospital in Highland Region - this is a short sighted move against those in this society with the least political voice - ie pregnant women and newborns!!!

2011-06-16 23:55

Why did the management fail to communicate with the staff from the outset of any proposed changes and when they do, fail to listen to their genuine concerns about their patients. These staff are at the front line and know what is best for patients. They are the professionals. Pregnant women in the Highlands need to be assured that there is a maternity unit that has sufficient beds to meet the demands of the public as well as the right numbers of qualified staff to give the care that is needed.

2011-06-17 00:33

I had both my children in Raigmore and I can't praise the staff and hospital enough, the care and dedication is superb the midwives are a really credit to the hospital, hope the petition keeps getting support its crazy that there is a suggestion to cut beds, its such a vast area the hospital covers and all beds are vital for mums/mums to be!

2011-06-17 00:34

Start cutting at the top of the tree first. Beds should be the last to be cut.

2011-06-17 01:18

When My first child was born I needed an emergency section as I had pre eclampsia and there were traces of muconium in my waters.If it wasn't for the Midwives in Raigmore Maternity unit Either Myself of my Baby could have died.By cutting the bed numbers by even 6 beds is putting the lives of our children and mothers at unneccesary risks.

#111 Re:

2011-06-17 01:38

#1: -  

I couldn't agree more all together I was in hospital for 5 weeks due to pre eclampsia and due to this my son was born 6 and a half weeks early, I was taken by ambulance to Glasgow as there was a shortage of scbu cots and I have never felt soooooo alone in all my life, I ended up with post natal depression and took a long time to bond with my son, however I cannot fault all the staff at raigmore they acted within their means, but my story highlights the effect of further travel for new mums, what I ask is the people who are making the decisions, do they have children or ever had!!! They are selfish and have no idea the impact that this would have on mums, I am sooooooo angered by this. Most of my time was spent at raigmore and when I got flown back from Glasgow they literally welcomed me with open arms, the ward was full practically the whole time I was there, the midwives were amazing and there support during my time there I feel helped me eventually combat my post natal depression, my extended tip being a first time mum with pre eclampsia and no one able to visit as too far away, this is what they are aiming towards, bunch of beurocratic pigs, I am truly disgusted! My son is 5 now and we hv a truly amazing bond.
Culcharry

2011-06-17 02:09

Should not need a petion, if chief exec and managers
etc.Had used common sense!

2011-06-17 11:58

This is utter madness! I had both my boys there over the past three years and on both occasions the wards were full to the brim.
The maternity ward is such a crucial service; the beginning of a child's life is so stressful for the parents and important and won't be made any better by having staff who haven't the capacity to accommodate them properly.
Don't do it.

2011-06-17 13:14

It is an absolute disgrace that they could even contemplate closing beds .We at the far North of Scotland have such a distance to travel it is unthinkable that they would want pregnant woman to travel even further than Inverness to give birth & then to take a new baby all the way home

2011-06-17 14:06

Save save save ,baby beds at Raigmore Hospital

2011-06-17 15:27

I had my two children at Raigmore and both times the wards were full. Discharging after 6 hours alarms me too; How are new mums meant to get the hang of breast feeding, holding & washing their baby etc, and get a much needed rest after exhausting labour in that time?....... not to mention how the Bounty lady will get round quickly enough to take & flog her baby photos!

2011-06-17 16:17

THe department literally saved my sister's life so my family and I owe them a great deal.

2011-06-17 16:44

Asking a new mum to leave hospital 6 hours after giving birth is insulting. We're already having it drummed into us that "breast is best" so after an exhausting labour, we are expected to master this skill in 6 hours! I've already heard of a case where a mother was able to leave (a different) hospital before her baby had a single feed, due to the pressure she felt to go home. With an already extremely low success rate of breast feeding in Scotland (only 2 out of 5 mothers apparently BF), this is a backwards step for the health service in this country!
jotr1x

#119 Maternity in Inverness

2011-06-17 18:29

I gave birth to my 2nd son 17 years ago in inverness after they discovered he was breach, it was feb and snowing and if it hadnt been for inverness he probably wouldnt be here today, I was well looked after and he was born safely without the aid of drugs or section. Raigmore is important in rural scotland, I think the powers that be dont realise the distance involved up here in the highlands.

2011-06-17 20:50

I have just spent 6 days in ward 10 and the care and dedication of everyone who worked on the ward was second to none and i certainly couldn't have gotten through the whole experience without them: will be for ever in their debt. I am disgusted at this proposal by NHS and sincerely hope that the raising of this petition shows the management that this is unacceptable and not supported in anyway by the highland community.

2011-06-17 21:11

Babies are so precious, we should do everything we can to ensure their safe delivery. Closing maternity beds is NOT a good move!

2011-06-17 21:26

I had both my babies in ward 9 at raigmore and both times and it was absolutely packed. I had to Que to deliver my baby and then was rushed out 4 hours after. How can they possibly justify these cuts with all the wasted money and corruption in other sectors? It makes me mad. We don't even have the option of homebirth in the highlands which we have the midwives for so where else is there to go??

2011-06-17 22:41

this is the most disgraceful idea NHS highland trust have ever come up with to save money, whenever you enter the building half the hospital seems to be filled with people in offices far outnumbering nurses who are struggling to provide care. get rid of a few people at the top of the trust on massively overinflated sallary's would more than pay for cuts required

2011-06-17 22:52

I have had 4 children delivered in raigmore in an extremely safe environment with fantastic support from the staff who always seem to be under pressure from people sitting at desks counting money ( always seems to be a lot of them in NHS Highland )what price a life ?? due to lack of facilities, this is the most unbelievable cut i have ever heard of!!!

#125 Re:

2011-06-18 02:16

#1: -  

Totally agree with the comment below,Raigmore is top heavy and as usual the real workers have to suffer and put patient care at risk. Why not look at savings by cutting the number of highly paid staff that attend meetings who decide to make cutbacks but do not understand the job nor its implications.Monetary savings should be targetted at these managers who do a lot of talking but very little real work.