Save Raigmore Maternity Beds

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Raigmore Maternity Beds.

2011-06-18 15:15

Management should hang their heads in shame at the drastic decision to close 6 beds and ultimately Ward 9. Raigmore Maternity Unit requires refurbishment to meet the needs of mothers and babies - facilities within the unit need upgrading to give mothers and babies the best start at such an important time in the 'circle of life". The Midwives at Raigmore are committed to best practice and this should not be compromised by a financially driven retrograde step by the many Managers that seem to be employed at Raigmore. Time has come to get rid of the top heavy structure of Managers - Raigmore functioned for many years without them. Power to the Midwives and Raigmore Maternity Unit being the Centre of Excellence for Midwifery in Highland.
Jenny Smy-Murdoch

#127 From an ex-Raigmore-trained nurse/midwife

2011-06-18 17:48

First the SCBU is under threat, and now proposed cuts to maternity beds. All this in the UK's fast-growing city, one of its most prosperous, and, crucially, the hospital with the largest catchment area in Britain! I've unearthed something that just could have a bearing on what is happening: "An exciting new build project is currently underway to develop a bespoke, multi-user bio-medical research, education, and business incubation facility adjacent to Raigmore Hospital, Inverness. The development, extending to some 7,240 sq.m. (77,472 sq.ft) will comprise office and laboratory space, two lecture theatres, breakout space, a library, café and clinical skills centre." Is the unthinkable happening? Are they sacrificing patient care to business interests? Is this what David Cameron means when he talks about "protecting the NHS, whilst giving an enhanced role to the private sector"? I fear it is!

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-06-19 00:04

2011-06-19 13:09

I had my daughter at Raigmore last September and had to stay in for 5 days, the staff on Ward 9 were fantastic, supportive and above all caring. The ward was constantly busy day and night and the staff managed a fantastic job even though they were all stretched. To lose beds from this invaluable service is a disgrace!!!!

2011-06-20 00:39

This is unbelievable!!! How can this be cost effective? Robbing Peter to pay Paul is no solution. What about the well being of Mums and babies? Where are pregnant Mums sent when the ward is full? I dread to think what happens in emergency cases.
V.Moir

2011-06-20 15:43

Having had the luxury of giving birth to my son in a maternity hospital (!)
in the late 60's, I realise the importance of retaining these facilities.
Please think again!

2011-06-20 20:41

Please keep these beds Mum`s and babies need them. Get rid of some highly paid management!
Too many chiefs and not enough Indians!!
Disgruntled mum of 3

2011-06-21 08:10

I think this is ridiculous. I recently had a baby on 11th May, and the maternity ward was turning lots of women away because they were so busy. How can reducing the number of beds possibly help?? And as for the six hour turnaround, that's all very well, but what about all those first time mums out there who are unsure of themselves?? Or those without a good support network?? Being turfed out of hospital 6 hours after giving birth is not going to be of benefit.

It would be an absolute to sin to lose any of the wonderful midwives who have helped so many women and children. Without them, many of us could have had some nasty complications, and have gone home feeling unsure of ourselves and lacking in confidence and ability to care for our newborns. Reducing the number of beds can only mean losing staff and we cannot allow this to happen.

In January 2006, I had my first child, I suffered alot of damage, and was in hospital for 1 week. I could not have felt confident enough to return home as a single mother without the help and advice given to me whilst in hospital.

In April 2008, I had my second child. I went home after 2 days as the maternity ward was really busy, but ended up back in the childrens ward as my baby had severe feeding difficulties. Midwives were again fantastic and provided the support to allow me to feel confident in caring for my baby.

In May this year, I had my 3rd baby. I was due to go into hospital on the 8th to be induced on the 9th, but they were to busy and phoned to tell me to come in a day later. Once there, they still couldn't start my labour, as they were too busy and under staffed. Women were being called and told not to come in because there was NO SPACE for them. I again stayed in for 2 days, and even as a third time mum, I appreciated the advice given by staff and reminders of some of the simple points of caring for a newborn.

Considering the fact that this hospital serves such a vast region, I don't think this option should even have been a thought. Like many of you have stated, who has thought about the women who have to travel from way up north to their "local" maternity/labour ward?? And those who have to come to the mainland from the islands??

It would appear that this is a poorly thought out, half-hashed idea to cut costs. But I'll bet someone still gets a payrise out of it!!!

All in all, I think it's fair to say that this whole affair is simply appauling!

2011-06-21 13:18

This is vitally important for the North of Scotland and the Islands.... My son and grandchildren and many friends and relations would not have survived without this essential service ....

2011-06-21 15:29

As a former employee of NHS Highland and a mother of 1, I am disgusted over the proposal to close Maternity beds in Raigmore.

Cut out the deadwood in middle management, stop wasting money and start putting patients first!

2011-06-21 21:10

One things for sure, there will be new babies born every day!.. It's the name of the game! It's life! Why risk lives by shutting an important ward???

2011-06-21 21:14

Ridiculous Idea to close these beds, what are the expectant mums of the Highlands supposed to do..squat down in a field somewhere????

#138 Re: From an ex-Raigmore-trained nurse/midwife

2011-06-21 22:28

#127: Jenny Smy-Murdoch - From an ex-Raigmore-trained nurse/midwife

Erm, I think this is the Centre for Health Science where all our nursing and up until the scottish government cut places, midwifery students are educated. It's been there for a few years now.

2011-06-21 23:31

SAVE

2011-06-22 12:02

When you are a 1st time mum you really need to stay in hospital a few days!!! It's a scary time being responsible for a little one.

2011-06-23 13:27

Due to have second baby at Raigmore in September, very worrying that beds are disappearing in such a huge catchment area - what happens if there are not enough beds, do we give birth in carpark?

2011-06-24 14:29

I was born in Raigmore 38 years ago and I believe the hospital provides a fantastic and essential service to the highlands. I have recently had my first child and feel passionately about giving babies the best start in life but as important is the support and all round advice and care for new mothers. This has to begin with the hospital and birth experience - if this means a longer stay it should be offered, to ensure that mums and babies leave hospital well and confident and ready for the next stage. Please save Raigmore maternity beds.

2011-06-25 22:38

I am a trained midwife and hang my head in shame when I hear these proposals, top heavy management and jobs for the boys is what Raigmore consists of. Time this place was looked at more closely and union reps listened to the staff because Raigmore will not change their policies its all a talking shop for management, they will shove through their proposals and it could be a teenage mum and baby that suffer or a mum with psychological problems - what is it to them anyway?Look at the midwives code of conduct , we will all be failing to meet its criteria now.

2011-06-26 12:27

Don't put mums and babies at risk and don't put midwives under any greater pressure and stress than they already experience.

2011-06-26 23:44

It is vital for the area to maintain these beds.

2011-06-26 23:45

It is so important for the highlands that these beds are kept.

2011-06-30 10:43

Save raigmore maternity beds

2011-06-30 12:12

The proposal is being put forward as BED RECONFIGURATION - it is high time that we had MANAGER RECONFIGURATION - there are too many so called managers at Raigmore. Time that the Scottish Government had a task force put into Raigmore to get rid of Managers especially the ones that seem to parachute into jobs, go on to cut beds, cause mayhem, then leave as quickly as they arrived but leaving a wave of destruction that dedicated staff have to attempt to salvage. Raigmore and the Maternity Services of Highland need all the space in Wards 9 and 10.
Managers you must NOT short change the women and babies of Highland - you will be held to account for your actions.

2011-07-01 13:54

Its disgraceful that they are even THINKING about closing this ward. How many more wards to go???? Might aswell just close the whole hospital. What a joke the system is.

2011-07-05 00:11

Had to spend 4 days here after the birth of my beautiful daughter and the midwives were all stars. Can't believe that loosing beds makes any sense when the hospital covers such a huge area, a complete disgrace! Hope this petition makes a difference for the staff and the future mothers in the highlands & islands!