Save Raigmore Maternity Beds

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Raigmore Maternity Beds.

2011-06-16 01:04

I had to spend the first 5 hours of my labour on ward 9 due to the labour suite being full, what would have happened to me if there was even less beds? This can not happen.. Raigmore is the main maternity unit for the whole of the Highlands and without these beds, mums and babies will be put at risk and staff stretched even further. When billions are being ploughed into the Edinburgh trams! Come on SNP, what are you going to do about this!

2011-06-16 01:14

This is terrible should never b closed!!!!

2011-06-16 01:27

A very worthwhile petition. I don't really understand where new Mums would be expected to go if there were no beds in Inverness!? I was already expected to drive 2 hours to get to Raigmore (the nearest maternity ward). If asked to drive any further, I would have had to name my child pavement!

2011-06-16 01:50

As with any organisation efficiencies can be made however this is not the correct route. Fundamental changes need to be made in the NHS to see front line medical staff get the support, recognition (and rewards) they deserve. Less effort should be made avoiding litigation ( which comes with huge burden of record keeping) and more effort expended on patient care. Cuts are not efficiencies they are simply a reduction in service. Making efficiencies can reduce cost and maintain quality of service but these efficiencies are much harder to implement!! I could go on....

2011-06-16 02:00

I had both of my sons, now teenagers, in Raigmore. After a difficult first birth and problems with feeding I went home after several days feeling confident that I was well enough to cope with my first newborn, all due to the care and dedication of the staff on this ward. To talk of closing it is a disgrace. Shame on You!

2011-06-16 02:53

The midwives and staff at Raigmore Hospital saved my wifes life quite literally, if it wasn't for them and the theatre staff in the Labour Suite I would be a single parent and my beautiful 12 week old son would not have a mother! These people do a fantastic job and, quite frankly, they are the BEST staff bar none!
Catherine

#82 Re:

2011-06-16 05:28

#3: MASIE -

This has already been happening here in the USA for number of years now.  The only ones who get to stay longer than a few hours are those who have C-Sections or complications.  It is standard practice for many hospitals.  It makes me glad my kids are grown.  They were born during times when the care and welfare of mother and child were more important than money.

RIchard

#83 Re:

2011-06-16 07:33

#1: - Terrible to think that they are willing to send mothers home after just 6 hours. This trial is a farce, a simple money saving exercise. When you see the terrible wastage that occurs in the NHS from the inside, with a huge management team, huge IT team, incompetent or unneeded staff "redeployed" rather than released and people paid salaries far in excess of midwifes to do stress awareness training and other useless jobs it beggars belief. This scheme will, in the long term, cause more problems as children with perhaps milder disabilities will be missed and early support which is so important will not be given, perhaps until too late.

RIchard

#84 Saving in the short term

2011-06-16 07:36

errible to think that they are willing to send mothers home after just 6 hours. This trial is a farce, a simple money saving exercise. When you see the terrible wastage that occurs in the NHS from the inside, with a huge management team, huge IT team, incompetent or unneeded staff "redeployed" rather than released and people paid salaries far in excess of midwifes to do stress awareness training and other useless jobs it beggars belief. This scheme will, in the long term, cause more problems as children with perhaps milder disabilities will be missed and early support which is so important will not be given, perhaps until too late.

2011-06-16 09:22

The provision of maternity services is too important in the Highlands for these ill thought cuts.

#86 Maternity beds

2011-06-16 10:20

These beds are far too important to be losing them, the area is increasing not decreasing and I am sure before long it will be more maternity beds we need and not less!!!
Nicola

2011-06-16 11:14

I am gobsmacked that the NHS think nothing about closing 6 maternity beds and losing some wonderful widwife's. I had my twin boys 7 weeks early last september, coming from Skye i thought nothing about the journey to Inverness, what worries me is the thought that someone else in a very similiar situation may very well be turned away for the lack of beds.....I myself stayed on ward 10 for almost 2 weeks after the birth of my boys and without the care and attention of the wonderful staff, i honestly don't think i would have made it home otherwise. Please, please, please help to stop this outrageous idea from coming to pass.

2011-06-16 11:50

My daughter was born here - a 2 hour drive as it is. My waters broke & I had no labour pain up 'till then. It turned out to be a complicated labour & I needed an emergency cesarean. What would we do & where would we be without it? The expensive alternative of airlifting seems ridiculous.

2011-06-16 12:39

Save Raigmore Maternity Beds now!

2011-06-16 13:09

getting rid of beds in a maternity ward is a disgrace!! When u are about to give birth you need to know everything is gonna be ok you dont want to be worrying about having your baby in a corridor!

2011-06-16 13:29

My granddaughter was born in this hospital and both she and my daughter received excellent care.

2011-06-16 14:08

Prospective Raigmore mum - very concerned

2011-06-16 15:12

Im a midwife in the Borders and we have lost beds, its tragic!

2011-06-16 17:35

Nurses ALWAYS get a raw deal from the Government yet they are at the forefront of our emergency services. They are ALWAYS undervalued and, at the end of a 12 Hour shift - YES, a 12 Hour shift, they are still expected to carry on regardless that their wages are paltry. The Highlands and Islands NEED MORE Maternity Beds at Raigmore NOT less.

2011-06-16 18:16

my daughter is a student widwife and is at inverness at the moment .its need more people like her to take up the profession to keep the mothers and babys safe.

2011-06-16 18:29

If I was discharged from Raigmore 6 hours after giving birth to my son, we wouldn't of known he was ill and required special care, therfore could have been extremely unwell.
On day two of his life, a midwife realised he was dehydrated and required to be looked after by the SCBU staff. If we were at home we might not of knowen this until he got really sick so I have a lot to say for staying in hospital until the midwifes are 100% happy with you and your new baby, this can't always be established in 6 hours!

2011-06-16 18:50

It would be a real shame to take away maternity beds from Raigmore - there are many people in the Highlands and Islands alone who rely on them

2011-06-16 18:56

It is bad enough that resources are stretched to the limit as it is. Why make this situation worse? If you want to save money then look at the highly paid paper pushers stuck in their offices taking up previous ward space! Disgraceful NHS Highland!

2011-06-16 19:03

This is another ridiculous decision!!!!!!! wHERE ARE WOMEN MEANT TO GIVE BIRTH NOW

2011-06-16 19:24

i think its ridiculous if they do it.i had my first born there and they were fantastic to me as a first time mum.please lets stop them doing this x