#Black Arts Matter - Save The Drum

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition #Black Arts Matter - Save The Drum.

2016-04-01 16:54

It is important to keep The Drum going, it is important for the BAME community in have a facility that can present our arts, discuss crucial points and a venue that can be used by all. Save The Drum

2016-04-01 17:19

The Drum is a great place, great music and great people, UK needs the Drum.... Many establisted brands started at the Drum, which are showcasing up and down the country. When no body wanted to know reggae bands..... you could see them at the Drum... Drum also play's a major part in the  Simmerdown festival.... WE NEED THE DRUM

Anonymous

#3 Re:

2016-04-01 17:25

#1: -  

Thank you very much for your support.  We really appreciate.  Please spread th word.  The Drum cannot and should not be closed. 

Anonymous

#4 Re:

2016-04-01 17:27

#2: -  

Thank you very much for your positive words of support.  We need more people like you to get on board and stop this from going ahead.  Please share with your friends and ask them to sign and endorse our campaign.  

Thank you very much.

The Drum Staff 

2016-04-01 17:41

Save The Drum its a great venue...simple as that!

2016-04-01 18:49

I run a successful saturday school from the drum .It is central and accessible to all my parents and students

2016-04-01 19:52

The drum has made a big impact on the lives of the young people of birmingham and beyond. Do not close the drum!!!

2016-04-01 21:26

Aston is a highly deprived area and the Drum is a valuable resource for training and community arts activities. Moreover young people in the area need an outlet for artistic expression instead of other damaging avenues.
The Drum is vital. Keep it going. The consequences without it is frightening. 

2016-04-01 21:33

The drum needs to stay open for the community/public and artists etc and all the valuable work and services it offers .

2016-04-01 21:34

The Arts are a part of culture and without such we have nothing. Mainstream Arts intuitions do not give an adequate platform for BAME artists and ermerging talent. Given the fact that the Drum is in a socio-ecomonical depraved borough it's is vital that it remains open to continue to bring vibrant and cultural art to the area. I sincerely hope that the community manages to maintain its own space and have artist freedom and liberty. #blackartsdomatter and we rally around to ensure this happens. With that said it needs to run as a business and with input from local artists and community groups to ensure it meets the needs of both local and wider BAME community and does become a legacy like many other BAME spaces funding only lasts so long.

2016-04-01 21:38

Whilst black cultural arts and artists are still treated like a diversity issue within the mainstream arts movement we need spaces like The Drum.

2016-04-01 21:40

Loss of venues like this need to remain for the next generation. Art is another form of expression. History is everywhere especially in.... art, which can take on many forms.

2016-04-01 21:53

Please don't close.it down it has been acessed by all family members

2016-04-01 22:08

Because everything black people have they take it away just like tasha night club .the drum is a excellent place for our lovely overseas artis to come and intertain us ,and also artis that are hear too

2016-04-01 22:15

Because The Drum is a very important venue that helps to fill a gap in the arts market. Without The Drum this gap becomes a gaping chasm.

2016-04-02 00:59

I've seen young people's lives develop and change positively through the young people's programme at The Drum.
The Drum has provided a platform for me to grow as a theatre practitioner, in arts administration, project co-ordinating and even gave me the opportunity to put on a piece of thought provoking theatre there.
I have performed there on many occasions and The Drum has played a part in developing the artist/person I am today. To close The Drum would be robbing these opportunities, experiences and the vital platform from the young people especially; but also from the community! It needs a space for the cultural exchange especially in the arts!

FIREDON0121

2016-04-02 01:46

I AM A MUSIC ARTIST AND THIS IS WHERE I FIRST WAS GIVEN A CHANCE TO PERFORM MY ART. PLUS MY MOTHER HAS ALSO DONE ALOT OF SHOWS HERE ASWELL... SUCH A GOOD PLACE FOR THE NEXT GENERATION TO SEE OR SHOWCASE TALENT. I ALSO USED TO TAKE AFRICAN DRUMMING CLASSES AND BRAZILIAN DRUMMING CLASSES HERE. THIS PLACE KEPT ME OUT OF PRISON. 

2016-04-02 06:46

I signed because I have used and attended function at the drum. It's local and it meets the need of the community particular the black and ethnic group.
Azibu

#19 The Drum

2016-04-02 07:09

We had the Muhammed Ali Centre back in the day. Let's do what we can to save The Drum.

2016-04-02 07:19

Just hope it helps, I'm not from the area but DRUM is a great venue

2016-04-02 07:27

The Drum is a unique venue, first that it promotes excellent cross cultural entertainment in Aston and not the city centre , and apart from the more well known names who have appeared, the Drum has given many local artists opportunities to shine! I hope a way can be found to keep it open. Aston needs the Drum!
Handsworth Community

#22 History With Heritage with Culture

2016-04-02 07:54

It's the biggest art related centre on the North Birmingham that reflects the surrounding areas. It can not be closed after only 22 years. Big funds aren't easy to acquire but replacing a arts centre would be impossible at this time and the lasting impact would be highly detrimental. 

2016-04-02 08:03

Because we need some where for our community to have where we can have our shows, our funerals and our meetings. Ok the management needs a shake up and could do with a new marketing team, operating team and I do believe keeping Victor Shaw there would be a good look as he would get in the community and bring them back into the drum. I know Charles has made some bad decisions with bringing back old staff and not sorting out the program but with help he could turn this around with the right people backing him.

2016-04-02 08:05

We need the drum

2016-04-02 08:10

If we don't support organizations set up to represent the BME community, no one else will. We need to unite to get things done.