NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education.

2016-09-26 19:15

The rights of law-abiding students are being violated and we will no longer tolerate this from management of the universities which are supposed to provide our children with education.

2016-09-26 19:29

My daughter is being deprived of her right to study, attend classes safely and write her tests and exams on schedule.

2016-09-26 19:55

Criminals should be arrested and not allowed to infringe on other students rights.
Peaceful protests allowed - damaging property and threatening or assaulting staff/students is a crime and needs to be treated as such.

2016-09-26 20:06

My right to education is being infringed, it is time to stop these selfish acts of finging one's right because you are unhappy with the system.

2016-09-26 20:22

I have worked really hard to become a student in my 30's and my further education cannot be taken ransom on other's wishes!
I am one of those so call middle students, earn more than the cut off but dont have the necessary funds to pay, so i work overtime, extra duties etc.

2016-09-26 20:53

both my daughter's at Nmu we both work hard and struggle to pay..but we do as our daughter's are talented and hardworking. they both have extra jobs to pay their way. they respect their lecturers and university. it is a privilege not a right

2016-09-26 21:18

So that the university can go back to normal again. Exam is starting soon.

2016-09-27 03:38

I am an international student in my final year and my visa is expiring this year. I cannot afford to fly back home and renew my visa and then fly back into the country to finish off one month. NMMU makes us international students pay the whole amount of tuition fees upfront before registration in the beginning of the year, andnow this happens? At this rate, no one will want to come to South Africa to study whilst international students bring the most revenue as we pay the highest fees and sometimes double the fees local students pay.

2016-09-27 04:26

As mush as the protestors have a right to protest in a peaceful manner, a equivalent right must be granted to those students who legimitaly want to complete their studies. Varsity fees have been paid up front and the institutions need to honour their obligation
Legally Blonde

#10 OUR RIGHT

2016-09-27 04:56

I think it is brutally unfair and unjust that the minority of students who choose to act unlawfully can justify their actions to the authorities by claiming that it is their "right to express and voice their opinions"? If rights are what is being used to justify their acts, then OUR RIGHT to education and safety and security should be enough to shut down this entire saga of unlawful behaviour.

Final examinations are drawing closer and closer by the day, our academic year WILL NOT be complete due to the constant suspension of university "until further notice".

This HAS to stop.

2016-09-27 05:02

I need to graduate won't do this year over.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2016-09-27 05:15

2016-09-27 05:18

I can understand that some students have issues, but it is utter nonsense that a few can hold the majority to ransom by intimidation and NMMU cannot sort this out. 

2016-09-27 05:33

We want what we have paid for:

lectures tests and exams on the dates given to us by NMMU  

2016-09-27 05:41

I am tired of this nonsense that a few rubbish are playing with the future a the majority of out students. The universities and the government are not taking effective steps to solve this problem. We as parents have made substantial debt to educate our vhildren, which is not happening, due to poor management of the universities and authorities. "It is time to take out the trash" and clean up your houses !!!!

2016-09-27 05:44

Why must everybody suffer because of a handful of destructive people? I am also 'previously disadvantaged' but I do not expect free education or free anything for that matter. I had to sacrifice and save for my daughter to attend university. Expel these 'entitled' arseholes and resume classes.

2016-09-27 05:50

My son is a Bpharm student and being setback with his academics !!

2016-09-27 05:55

I am a student at nmmu and need to qualify at the end of the semester, the protests are holding me up from doing so

2016-09-27 05:59

My son is a final year Law student and we can't afford extra fees next year. Nmmu is not doing enough to support the non protesting students. The university seems to support the fees must fall idea, but they dont support the violence and intimidation etc but not doing enough to stop it.

2016-09-27 06:02

Because I'm paying to study at NMMU and I'm unable to do so due to all the strikes. Exams are around the corner, we so behind in our work at the rate its going we will not be ready for exams.

2016-09-27 06:20

I have 2 children sitting at home who want to go to varsity + study but can't because of the protesters. I work very very hard to pay their fees + am sick + tired of being held ransom by protesters. Many of whom are not even students. Thanks heavens for Terry Price who is actually doing something good about this situation

2016-09-27 06:22

they must remove all non paying students from campus as well as those that strike and let those who pay continue with there studies, there are not enough security at NMMU as any tom,dick and harry can enter without having any business there, therefore inviting all criminals onto campus, theft and car braking are very high. Nmmu needs to get there act together and support those who pay and want to study, Always those who get everything for free that destroy and demand. If they do not want to study remove intermediary even from accommodation removal must take be done since if they are not there to study they should not be staying there either.

2016-09-27 06:22

The protest violets the serious hardworking students right to study learn and to advance with their education and it disrupts and delays their plans to join a productive workforce before long.

2016-09-27 06:23

My son is going to study next year and I am not going to pay for his studies if he does not have access to go to classes because of protests.

2016-09-27 06:24

The protest violets the serious hardworking students right to study learn and to advance with their education and it disrupts and delays their plans to join a productive workforce before long.