Save Byrne Creek Forest East

Save Byrne Creek Forest East / Announcements / Cover Letter for Petition / Comments

2017-11-17 01:36

Thank you for this update, Ciara!

2017-11-18 21:23

I prefer "deceptive work" to "guesswork" to characterize Corrigan/Pelletier's population growth projections. They know what they are doing. Not the projected population growth drives housing development, as they want us believe; rather, the projected housing development capacity, as defined by the City of Burnaby itself, drives population growth. They know how to play this cynical game very well.

When I first read through their population growth projections, as published in the Burnaby Housing Profile 2016 (p. 94), I had to chuckle. To make sense of the City of Burnaby's desired population of 345,000 people by census year 2041, they literally plotted three different data sources with three different projection/estimation methods onto the same graph. Pelletier's graph starts with the Census 2011 w/out undercount consideration of above 2% (223,218), then moves to BC Stats' 2015 population estimate based on the Component/Cohort-Survival method (238,209), and to arrive at their desired 2041 population of 345,000 people, as you pointed out, a simple-minded linear extrapolation from past growth did the trick. Darrell Huff’s 1954 classic “How to Lie with Statistics” certainly is as relevant today as it was back then. This "apples to oranges to nuts" comparision, so to speak, does not make sense by any statistical standard. 

2017-11-21 02:57

Dear Mayor and City Councilors

In addition to the problems noted on the cover letter, that are:

This petition will never be taken down from the petition site. It will allow the signing electorate to witness, amongst other things:

****Unsubstantiated housing projections and unwarranted development.
****Unwanted overflow parking on Byrnepark Drive
****Half-hour bus service on all neighbourhood routes.
****Low walk score for any services in range of development
****Irregular maintenance of the neighbourhood bus shelter at Marine Way and Byrne Road

Bringing additional damage to the nature is simply unacceptable because it is also against humanity.

To the eyes of the developers and yours, it is a small patch of vegetation, but humans have wiped out way more than the earth can endure, and we can just feel it to the bones and feel the blood is drying out. If you don't understand this fact, above all else, I am not sure how you are able to hold any position, public or otherwise.

Siding with the developers whose eyes can capture only where profits are, you are not aware of the actions you make is crime against the nature and humanity and thus the rest of the things that exist, here and now.

Dear Sirs

Please, listen to the citizens' plea, and make sure that you understand that the earth and people (who have been working terribly hard without seeing any results) cannot endure more of such the unconscionable developments.

Sincerely

Sylvia Gung
Burnaby

2017-11-24 18:53

The City of Burnaby just advertised the sale of this land in the November 22 edition of Burnaby NOW,

This will go fast.. First, Corrigan's minions will sell this land to a developer (wouldn't be surprised if they had already worked with a developer before to the official sales procedure started ...), then they will collectively stick their heads in the sand, telling you over and over again they have no powers to avoid the development of this land, after all it's now private land, and all the development will be in line with Edmond's community plan. It's a corrupt system.

Metrotown is just being bulldozed away based on those tactics.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2018-03-01 20:48

Rita

#6 Unprecedented removal of old trees

2018-03-01 21:14

Not only are most of the older buildings and houses built so much stronger and with much more quality than newer developments these days but also, there was never any issue keeping the trees in the lawn and building the development with consideration to keeping and protecting existing trees.

I have lived in Burnaby for 35 years and never in my life have I seen this type of disregard for the care of city trees.  I have seen just in the Edmonds and Kingsway area alone hundreds of trees brutally chopped and or completely removed.  There is always some aburd excuse like the roots are causing damage, the tree is sick, people are complaining and if course there is going to be development.   However, evidentally, a lot of the lots in the few block radius I live in where trees have been removed in the name of future development nothing was ever developed there is now an empty lot and yet the trees were removed anyway.

Considering this fact of the removal of trees for ultimately no reason there needs to be less haste in removing trees just because of development.  Right now there is excavation going on under the 7282 Kingsway I can hear it under my feet practically.  The building has not been taken down as of yet but excavations have been in progress for a week away from Kingswsy all the way to what appears to be 18th Ave.  I find all this activity questionable and shady.  

Serious implementations need to made as soon as possible to make no exception to take down any more trees in this neighborhood and if that cannot be done the building should not be taken down simply because the tree is in the way and it must be saved especially after we have already lost so many hundreds in this area alone.  

What is the purpose a buildings foundation needs to be ripped out and therefore the tree next to it when there is no plan for a development yet?  And why are we approving projects that are allowing 500 year old trees to be chopped down?  There are so many empty lots around this nrighborhood why can't they pick one of the already empty lots to build on!!!?