Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools.

Mom 2 4

#301 Re: Re: Here We Go Again

2012-01-21 02:03

#278: - Re: Here We Go Again

That seemed to be one of the problems last time and the dropped all the duplicate IP addresses.  I just think that if they really want an accurate reflection, this type of petition or survey opens the door for trumped numbers -- whether for or against.  I would like to see a hard survey sent to each address but then they cannot manage the money they have and would probably misuse the funds to do that correctly.  Cobb County used to be the most desired county.  Not so much these days.  Sad.

Mom 2 4

#302 Re: Re: Here We Go Again

2012-01-21 02:09

#281: Bring back the balanced calender - Re: Here We Go Again

Dear Bring Back the Balanced Calendar -- Why do you seem to have such a rude attitude to any comment that is not how you perceive it should be?  You are probably one of the main reasons the Board will not listen.  You make yourself sound uneducated by your responses to other people's posts.  And just for the record, I actually did not take too many breaks in school as I attended an international school overseas which has a much more vigorous curriculum than any state in our nation.

Mom 2 4

#303 Re: Re: Here We Go Again

2012-01-21 02:18

#298: - Re: Here We Go Again

Reasonable, yes I agree.  However, that was one of the "up in arms" issues the last time is that there could only be one vote from each IP address.  So, last time they threw all of the votes out from the same IP.  Unfortunately, they won't keep just one of those votes, they throw them all out.  Then you still don't have an accurate count...  It's just not helping this cause to continue signing from the same IP address.  I know that is difficult if you do not have access to another computer.

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2012-01-21 04:05

#305 Re: Re: Re: Re: Here We Go Again

2012-01-21 04:29

#304: Bring back the balanced calendar - Re: Re: Re: Here We Go Again 

Holli are u off ur meds again? Stay classy Miss Sassy.

#306 Re: Reality Check

2012-01-21 19:57

#42: - Reality Check

Newsflash- children aren't adults in miniature version.  It isn't developmentally appropriate to expect (especially the youngest ones) to live and work according to the same calendar/schedule that you do.  Taking smaller, more frequent breaks throughout the year instead of a longer, three month vacation each summer is much better for their retention of learning.  Also- Georgia isn't a 'right to work' state, so your attempt to bring the unions into this doesn't hold any weight.  The teachers' unions have very little power here in Georgia, except as a lobbying force.

#307 Re: NO to the balanced School Calendar

2012-01-21 20:17

#279: Janet Gill - NO to the balanced School Calendar

Everyone who argues that the traditional calendar is better for students academically has obviously never taught a day in their lives.  I worked for 15+ years as a teacher in the Title I schools.  Do you honestly think that sending our neediest students off for close to three months each year benefits their acheivement?  I can tell you that we typically would spend the first month or two of the school year having to reteach and make up for the regression that always occurs over the summer breaks.  Those of you that are yelling about having your 'summers back' can obviously afford the overnight camps, regular trips to the waterpark/pools/beaches, and any summer tutoring that might be available, but that's not the case for everyone.  If we had any common sense- not just in Georgia but around the country- we'd do away with the extended summer break altogether and opt for a calendar that embraces the 9 weeks on, two weeks off (or something to that effect) schedule. That's much more developmentally appropriate for children, and seeing as how the United States  no longer operates as an agragarian economy and summertime is no longer about helping out on the family farm, it's time to adapt to the times.  Here in Georgia, it's so hot in the summers we spend the majority of our time indoors anyway, so my kids might as well be in school.  I'd rather have off the entire month of October than August, when the weather is perfect and we can enjoy being outside, but that's neither here nor there.

#308 Re: Re: Re:

2012-01-21 20:33

#299: - Re: Re:

"ITBS testing is done earlier in the school year and would not reflect the benefits of the balanced calendar.  The balanced calendar was put in place last year. "

Not exactly.  First of all, the ITBS and CRCT are two totally different tests.  The ITBS is norm-referenced, which means it measures the achievements/capabilities of students in Cobb County and compares them to students around the rest of the country.  It's not testing based on the standards per se since standards vary between each state.  Last year the ITBS was administered the week we returned from the Fall break.  Therefore, students had just had a week off to rest and were feeling refreshed coming back into the testing.  It is perfectly reasonable to assume that there could be a direct correlation between that and the fact that scores were higher.

The CRCT is a criterion-referenced test.  It assesses how well the students have mastered the curriculum and standards required by the state of Georgia.  It is given six weeks before the end of the year, therefore teachers have to find a way to teach the fourth quarter standards to mastery within the first two weeks of the fourth quarter (with Spring Break typically occuring in between them), in addition to trying to find time to review the first, second, and third quarter standards.  This is what makes school so stressful on both the teachers and students these days.  Having an earlier start date and smaller breaks throughout the year did help.

"CRCT testiing, done toward the end of the academic year, woudl be the criteria on which to judge.  CRCT test scores were higher last year compared with the previous year."  Exactly, and bear in mind that we lost that week in January from the snow.  If we were still able to get higher CRCT scores with five less instructional days, imagine what could have been possible had they allowed the balanced calendar its full three years...

2012-01-21 22:30

I fully support the balanced calendar, and hope it is voted in.

Thanks,

Ed Woodrow
Parent

2012-01-21 22:32

I fully support the balanced calendar ,hopefully my vote does count this time.
I would use my name,but so far no one but one has been brave enough

#311 Re: Re: Re: Re: Here We Go Again

2012-01-21 23:01

It is so sad to see such behavior that our adults are showing in this forum, survey or whatever you would like to call it.  The name calling and lack of respect for other's opinions is really sad.  If we as adults behave like this, then what are we teaching our children.  Not saying you are teaching your children bad things. But what all of us are teaching our children.  Our children learn by our behavior and hopefully they are not watching us closely on how we are behaving with this agenda. #304: Bring back the balanced calendar - Re: Re: Re: Here We Go Again 

#312 Re: Re: Reality Check

2012-01-22 00:59

#306: - Re: Reality Check

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo,  where did you get your Phd in Child Development?

#313 Re: Re: Reality Check

2012-01-22 01:00

#306: - Re: Reality Check

"..except as a lobbying force."

---- and drain on teachers' salaries to fund Obama's relection campaign

#314 Re:

2012-01-22 01:06

#309: -

You do realize that the board just voted not to put discussion of the August 1 start date/December 24 Xmas break start date calendar on the agenda for discussion  (by a 2 to 5 vote - even David Morgan is fed up with the moron).

Soooo,  there this petition is meaningless.

Why are all the whiners who complained about the late start for the Xmas break THIS year, signing a petition for a calendar where the holiday break doesn't start until December 24?

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2012-01-22 04:24

#316 Re: Re: Re:

2012-01-22 04:35

#315: - Re: Re:  

Sooooo Exactly how many candidates have ever won any election in Cobb by saying they support the August 1 calendar? If you haven't noticed, Banks is irrelevant.

2012-01-22 17:46

I can only hope that Angelucci is actually listening, her seat is never guaranteed, and after this travesty next election should be interesting. No one likes to be lied to, but Cobb County Gov't as a whole does not listen to the advice of the Grand Jury.
Warrior girl

#318 Re: Re: Re: Here We Go Again

2012-01-22 17:48

#319 Re: Re: Re: Re:

2012-01-22 17:58

#316: - Re: Re: Re:  

Banks has only done what the people he represents have asked him to do, so by your comment the people of Cobb are irrelevant! And as far as the aug1 vote goes, let's see what happens at this election! If you weren't so worried about the 2 board members getting voted out you wouldn't be here trying convince us to quit and give up! Go and enjoy your Georgia summer because you and your comments are irrelevant!
warrior girl

#320 Re: Re: Re: Re:

2012-01-22 18:08

#308: - Re: Re: Re:  

Did you know other states give the ITBS at the end of the school year?? We measure for 5th grade at the beginning and not the end, how does this give us accuracy? The standardized tests cause more stress on students and teachers than the actual cuuriculum.  There was no September break this year to allow our testing students rest afterwards.  I know two students in my house who were so physically and mentally drained, that functioning afterwards took all they had.  The 7th grade did the COGAT and the ITBS, no rest for the child? The week after that insanity was supposed to have been our September break, that would have allowed for recovery.  Other states and counties use a balanced calendar and have better test scores than we do, and the working parents manage just fine and businesses have unique oppurtunities they would not otherwise.

warrior girl

#321 Re: Re: NO to the balanced School Calendar

2012-01-22 18:47

#307: - Re: NO to the balanced School Calendar 

Why are we so desperate to hold onto the agraraian calendar how many of us really use our children for spring planting and August harvest?  Why are the nations that are educationally ahead of us so much better?? Even our children know the answer because they study other cultures from around the world.  Really people? Take money out of it for a moment, and look, we are falling behind on the world scale.  But it takes States and counties to change this and some have, our federal gov't is useless in the eduaction forum, it is not the current President or others in the past, they cannot affect the change that we can from the bottom up.  I thought Cobb's motto was "We lead, others follow".  Where are those forward thinkers now? I don't want to be Dekalb or Fulton,  but I can feel the suction from that drain already.  Good luck selling your house now.

Warrior girl

#322 Re: consider this

2012-01-22 19:03

#4: - consider this 

Not true, Six flags and White Water stay open longer and earn even more because of the week off in September and have for years becasue of surrounding counties that are out.  They made third and fourth quarter last year, thanks to us being out as well as surrounding counties and extremely warm weather.  Make no mistake they do not rely on Cobb students for employees either.  You do pay higher taxes it is called SPLOST.  Which by the way, where are all the improvements that were supposed to happen?? Our high school has needed a new roof for longer than we have lived here, any funds they touch seem to evaporate.   Why are we cutting 300 teachers when we are top heavy? Did you know that our administrators have yet to have taken their pay cut let alone gone without a raise?  The people who work with our children took a pay cut 4 years ago, and have seen only increase on cost of benefits.  By cutting our teachers we directly impact the students, not  acceptable.  Let's start with excess administrators, and no raises for them, I am not really worried about whether they will leave us, where are they going? Frankly some of them need to go.

#323 Re: Re: Re: Re:

2012-01-22 22:35

#324 Re: Re: Re: Re:

2012-01-22 22:42

#308: - Re: Re: Re: Your are absolutely correct regarding the differing goals of ITBS and CRCT. I was responding to the person who referred to ITBS testing scores being lower and attrbuting it to the balanced calendar.  With so many thoughtful contributions to this forum, I was trying for brevity in my response.  I think we have all seen some valid opinions and I hope our board is monitoring the discussion.

2012-01-23 08:22

Look at the kids interest..they are refreshed after a break to start again with vigor. Weaker kids get time to catch up with their syllabus and academically strong get a breather. The teachers are more productive too! All Cobb teachers...please voice it out!! Flights are cheaper if you plan to go anywhere for a vacation vs. spring break. It might hurt the pockets of working parents as well as a hassle as they may put it..but aren't we all in the interest of kids that we prefer to live in East Cobb or Cobb county in general. I am for the balanced calendar!!