Support Filipino Sign Language Act of 2012 - House Bill 6079

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Support Filipino Sign Language Act of 2012 - House Bill 6079.

Francis

2012-10-24 10:21

This is biggest issues part of important in Deaf community in FSL's. I would like to agree with one of the comment's #22 that is most important affected in FSL language which it has linguistic in through such as syntax, semantic, locative, classifer, directional verbs, sentence types includes grammatical, rhetorical question, assertion or negation, and Nouns and Verbs that are all used every time in living. These are used communication of languages in the FSL which it has identified in language (example of ASL has original in linguistic). FSL has own original language from Deaf community by Deaf peoples from identify of culture and diversity.

S.E.E is not in linguistic! How would it work with nouns and verbs? If the signer does not have use Subjects and Objects! S.E.E is a system related of Manuel communication that use to be an excatly representation of Englisg with vocabulary and grammar, it part of English-speaking like Manually Coded English!

DEAF HAVE LITERATURE'S!!! Included FSL storytelling, dramatic, Deaf first filipino, Deaf famous Deaf authors,Deaf movie or actor, Deaf athletics, Deaf professional and etc more more more A to Z!!!! Peroid!

Jigger J

#52 FSL vs. ASL/SEE

2012-10-24 10:23

Please let us stop the "personal" attacks against each other. All we want is a modification of the Bill; to not limit FSL as the medium of instruction inside the classrooms. Wouldn't that be alienating the choices for the deaf or their families who, in the child's early years, make the decision for the deaf. Kahit naman sa hearing na anak, parents pa rin nagdedeice kung saang school dadalhin ang bata. We are NOT against the use of FSL; all we ask is let us be also. Wala naman sanang personalan. tanungin din natin mga sarili natin, kung binibigay natin sa mga deaf ang BUONG larawan. I am sure there is a transcript of what happened at the initial hearing. Please look for that.

I am pro-deaf and i am for the recognition of EVERYONE's rights. Respetuhan naman.
Angeling

#53 The SEE-Ker! of # 49

2012-10-24 13:42

If I have wronged with the hearing SEE-used teachers like you, I apology you, but it is "NO DEFENSE IS RIGHT", because I express my sharing experience. Thank you!

2012-10-24 17:35

Please support Filipino Sign Language, We love you FSL in the world. Hope we have a great happy to FSL :)

Samkis

#55 FSL

2012-10-24 17:38

PLS SUPPORT FILIPINO SIGN LANGUAGE :)
Lizeth

2012-10-24 17:43

We will love support and hope will gave FSL from deaf only and We love FSL better in the philippines for FSL We need support thank you.
Yeth

2012-10-24 17:52

We will love support and hope will gave FSL from deaf only and We love FSL better in the philippines for FSL We need support thank you.

2012-10-24 21:59

again let us be reminded that the goal of special education is INCLUSION... how can they totally included in this society if you are taking away the opportunity to communicate with others (others meaning the hearing community)? We all know that English is a language that is used GLOBALLY. Should we deprive them the opportunity of becoming globally competitive? Is that EQUALITY? Should they always have their interpreters with them? Is that INDEPENDENCE? How will the hearing community communicate with them? learn FSL? Should you also ask for a law that will mandate forcing hearing people to learn FSL? Respect democracy and respect their rights? I AGREE... so i don't see why some educational institutions are FORCING thier students to SIGN THE PETITIONS FOR THIS LAW? Shame on you!!!!! R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
Francis

#59 Francis

2012-10-24 22:01

I would like to say one of comment's in #39. There are many impacted some issue how to Deaf children's learning age and Deaf adult's learning age that is because they are not first language in English, they are first language in FSL who their experienced in domain such as cognitive,physical, emotion developments part of lifespans.

One thing is important is understands of Deaf peoples who have developed in languages. There are two difference BICS and CALP.
Basic Interpersonal Communication Skill are related language skills need in social situations the day to day language to interact socially with other peoples. English learners when BICS skills when they are on the playground, in the lunch or recces in activities.

Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency is related refer formal academic learning, such includes listen, reading, writing about subject area content material that where give level of language learning essential for student to success in school. Students need to time and support to become improve proficient in academic area.

These are classroom or social need to understand difference between in social language and academic language acquisition. They would have acquisition language.
Francis

#60 Re: Support Deaf People’s Right to their OWN Language!!!

2012-10-24 22:06

#4: Techie - Support Deaf People’s Right to their OWN Language!!!

I would like to say one of comment's in # 4 and #39. There are many impacted some issue how to Deaf children's learning age and Deaf adult's learning age that is because they are not first language in English, they are first language in FSL who their experienced in domain such as cognitive,physical, emotion developments part of lifespans.

One thing is important is understands of Deaf peoples who have developed in languages. There are two difference BICS and CALP.
Basic Interpersonal Communication Skill are related language skills need in social situations the day to day language to interact socially with other peoples. English learners when BICS skills when they are on the playground, in the lunch or recces in activities.

Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency is related refer formal academic learning, such includes listen, reading, writing about subject area content material that where give level of language learning essential for student to success in school. Students need to time and support to become improve proficient in academic area.

These are classroom or social need to understand difference between in social language and academic language acquisition. They would have acquisition language.

#61 Re: Francis

2012-10-25 00:22

#59: Francis - Francis

with all due respect, you, yourself mentioned that there are differences in deaf language- one used in interpersonnal and one in academic. use FSL in communicating with other deaf and SEE for Academic Profeciency.

#62 Re:

2012-10-25 00:25

#51: Francis -

ORIGINAL language? where did you get your words? from ASL AND SEE and just modified it.

#63 Jigger J

2012-10-25 02:10

#53: Angeling - The SEE-Ker! of # 49

Thyen be specific when you comment; because you are GENERALIZING and that is quite frankly, irresponsible. Say it is from your own experience. Just do not generalize. It is hurtful to say those words especially to teachers who have been committed to teaching young minds; hearing or deaf.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2012-10-25 04:20

rbrivera

#65 Let us Together and Support FSL

2012-10-25 09:30

open our rights the natural language wont stop and dont discriminate our visual communication using FSL is LABEL and give us the freedom
Francis

#66 Re: Re:

2012-10-25 10:14

#62: - Re:

That was my assignment and project during college.

Read it important:http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/370169/pushing-filipino-sign-language#.UIjhPsXA9h3

I just got article from someone's on post it is really interesting the Manila Bullets a few days ago. The one paragraph said

THE UNIQUE FILIPINO SIGN LANGUAGE

In 1907, the American Sign Language (ASL) was introduced to the Filipino deaf community through the School for the Deaf and Blind, now known as the Philippine School for the Deaf. ASL has since influenced FSL, the Filipino sign language.

“FSL is a unique language. It has its own grammar, structure, syntax, which is different from the spoken language. It’s also the mark of identity of deaf Filipinos,” explains Mackie Calbay, program coordinator of  DLS-CSB School of Deaf Education and Applied (SDEAS) Deaf Advocacy.

This is all what my points! It is part of applied in modified FSL's and!!! F.S.L is the BILINGUALISM and BICULTURALISM both SUCCESS. (FSL growth alike FLOWER!)

2012-10-26 06:20

Dear Sir/ma'am;

Greetings!
I am introduction about myself. I am Maria Gilda Quintua-Nakahara.
I was born in full Deaf from San Julian, Eastern Samar. I use Filipino Sign Language (FSL) now. I am nature Deaf culture in Support FSL. I have my 2 Deaf brother, Hoh sister, Deaf nephew and 2 Neice. They are all FSL by communication and facial express. That is why they really happy and understand our support FSL.

Now I am a owner of Nakahara Lodging & Travel Services and I am a housewife too. I just came here in my home in Manila from Japan last Oct 15. I live here and Japan too.

My Japanese husband and I used are in our communication in Japan Sign Language and Filipino Sign Language both. Not used in my Sign English Exact. I cannot understand in SEE and ask Interpreter and teachers by kulit kulit.

I am not 100% SEE. We are very strong to support in our own hand in FSL.

God make Deaf Culture on earth. To all Hearing Teachers, principal of the School and other hearing people don't force us as Deaf. You know I told to my father don't force me in written Sentence English Exact too.

Thank you for understanding and listen to our Deaf.

Angeling

#68 To #63 - Jigger J

2012-10-26 08:50

You said, "....you are GENERALIZING", yes it is but I can't make a specific issue, it means a signal of emergency but doesn't mean it's hurtful to the SEE-used teachers, they should open their eyes and ears. If they want to teach in using SEE because they believe the method and philosophy of SEE, they should have to take a patient pill for reviewing more and more by closely observing and examining with their students if they can work successfully or not.

This major issue has no defense to be right but it is CONCERNED and EMPATHIC. Thank you!

#69 Re:

2012-10-26 23:23

#8: Anika -

"What FSL fails to do is that it fails to develop the reading(written) and writing skills of those who use it because FSL DOES NOT FOLLOW A FORMAL GRAMMAR.Does it matter? YES IT DOES"

In response to this part of your statement..it was claimed by the Department of Education through it's Special Education Division that they have been using SEE as medium of instructions for years in all pubic schools as a result they have been producing graduates with poor English reading and writting skills shouldn't be the blame put to SEE not FSL?..

Further more FSL has it's own unique language stracture, syntax, grammar that differentiate it from any spoken language so it shouldn't be compared to any spoken language like English which have it's language structures of it's own..Sign language does not equates Spoken language..

Francis

#70 Questions: Deaf and Hearing Impaired perspectives

2012-10-27 09:20

In my opinion, what are difference in Deaf and Hearing Impaired? Should anyone polite to called Deaf instead of Hearing Impaired? Because peoples think the Hearing Impaired are break like in ear into inner ear? Their such psychologist, doctor, lawyer, and consult all think it look like down standard (Does it meaning same way Driving Impaired and Hearing Impaired which it is caused "IMPAIRED"). In all my respective due who are culture and identify and heritage to be DEAF! I was born in Deaf and nationality in Filipino! I want to everyone officially DEAF standard! Don't be hesitate to call if there problem. Stay Reppin in F.S.L!!!!!

#71 Re: Re:

2012-10-27 13:31

#69: - Re:

and FSL is the answer to that? does is automatically mean that if teaachers who use SEE fail to maximize full potentials of students to develop their grammar, FSL is the sole medicine? that is a complete FALLACY. Why are you making this an issue of SEE vs FSL? When in fact the only point we are making here is to give other options for educationg the deaf. why limit them in using FSL? We also have Oral schools. They have the right to receive education which they believe will work best for them so give them options.

#72 Re: Re:

2012-10-28 13:09

#69: - Re:

Where did you get this information!!! ????

"Special Education Division that they have been using SEE as medium of instructions for years in all pubic schools as a result they have been producing graduates with poor English reading and writting skills shouldn't be the blame put to SEE not FSL?.."

Well, were you there when one of the Heads of the Department of Education DISAGREEd with the idea of using FSL as a medium of instruction??? So how come that you are saying that SPED division claimed the failure due to SEE use???? Pwede ba.... kapag nagcocoment kayo eh evidence based???

Provisions were asked by the Department of Education before accepting the use of FSL inside the classroom... One of it was to CLEARLY define what FSL means. :)

Ibig sabihin, hindi malinaw ang pagbibigay kahulugan sa FSL.... HILAW pa ang IDEYA.....

mother of a deaf

2012-10-29 12:46

What I'd like to know is if this FSL will put food in my daughter's mouth if I become unable to provide for her. Will this language alone suffice in giving her a job and can it become an avenue to help her reach her full potential in life?
I can understand identity, culture and all. But the reality is, once she's out there in the world with both hearing and deaf people, will this help her communicate with everyone so she can become independent and provide for herself and her children?
Cloyd

2012-10-29 17:18

God is equal

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2012-10-29 20:32