Petition for the immediate withdrawal of the Licensing Regime

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for the immediate withdrawal of the Licensing Regime.

2013-06-01 21:56

Enough of internet censorship

2013-06-01 22:12

Free SG's internet!

2013-06-02 00:04

Freedom of speech is key to Singapore's long-term
viability.

2013-06-02 00:54

"I dragged Singapore kicking and screaming from Third World to First." - Lee Kuan Yew

We are certainly not the First World as Mr Lee Kuan Yew would like to claim that he has brought Singapore to!

2013-06-02 02:57

the definition of online news sites is rather grey...which could include a blog about reviews on just food, fashion or anything not related to politics. Those who are running blogs, online magazines, etc, should be worried now - even if they are not in the list of 10 mainstream media sites yet. MDA definitions of the terms are rather grey.

Besides its intention to regulate freedom of expression, it's more fishy that they even require a banker guarantee of S$50K to be put up by such sites. This reminds of the $4.6 billion losses made on a single investment by Temasek Holdings (GLC by the Lee Empire), wonder if it got to inspire the decision of implementing such ridiculous media regime as a means to take more money from the citizens of Singapore who are the taxpayers - in order to make up for the losses incurred by Temasek Holdings. Failure to remove any content (within 24 hours) that has been alleged to violate the sedition act - would have the $50K forfeited - quite similiar to the logic of having S$5000 forfeited upon failure of reporting a missing NTS worker (which is a breach of MOM regulations).

Btw, I'm just making assumptions about this new MDA licensing regime. The fact that it was passed down with ambiguous guidelines and requirements without the consensus of the public and ordinary citizens raises eyebrows.

Good Citizen

#56 Bad Laws

2013-06-02 03:14

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny. ~Edmund Burke

GE2016 Change is in order

#57 Change is inevitable

2013-06-02 03:24

The time to change in the government has come and its becoming more apparent that current government has instead of fixing their poorly executed policies in housing, transport and immigration since GE2011, but has instead spend time to implement more control so as to disable the voice of native born Singaporean who were not part of their scheme or did not benefit from their scheme. How many of us can say cost of living is acceptable and no worries to our daily lifes? How many of us feel pushed to the edge by so many foreigners that not only take up spaces of public places and transport but also drove HDB resale prices to ridiculous high point? How many of us not able to land a job not because we do not have skills but simply because company want to hire foreigner...
Outraged Singaporean

#58 Our rights, or our country by force...

2013-06-02 03:31

It is our right, not just privilege, to have freedom of speech, freedom of press, and to have our oppressive voices heard. No one deserves to be diluted and ignored. No one deserves to be shut up. Every one of us has a voice, and we make up one Singapore. Let us be heard; because the last resort will be one where everyone loses.

You have the option. Make us your scapegoats and continue to keep us quiet, and continue to do so until we come with pitchforks and torches to your House of Parliament, by which time regretting anything and saying 'sorry' with any plea or begging will fall on deaf ears; or do the right thing now and give us our space to voice our grievances, listen to our voices and make the changes and ractifications necessary for the people of Singapore.

Remember, every time you push us into a corner, we will push back at you. If you suppress us enough, you would not have to wait till GE2016 to see yourselves out, we will come to your door - by which time, the time for talking is over. We will not be quietened by overpaid, under-qualified politicians who want to keep their paychecks coming in at out expense.

Heed our warnings and do the right thing, or prepare to go down in History as the party of destroyers of a nation once flourishing. Now it's up to you, PAP. What will it be?

2013-06-02 03:33

Why need to have censorship? What make you think that your moral values are definitely higher than us??

2013-06-02 03:38

What is the right news? Is it the right news about how you guys legally corrupted yourself by increase your salaries?? You have made a very big mistake by coming out with this stupid MDA law! We will not tolerate this! Sooner or later you will see us on the street!

2013-06-02 03:50

I don't mind whatever else the government does (what I hear of at least), but this is starting to cross the line for me.

2013-06-02 04:07

For those who do not care to protest about the implications of a new legislation simply because they feel it will never affect them or has not affected them yet, perhaps this quote by Martin Niemöller is worth pondering on. Policies that they feel are not going to affect them, would eventually plaque them at some point of time in the future when it would be too late to change anything.

Try to be more informed and empathise about how the implications are going to affect you as a reader who has a sound mind of seeking the truth, or as an aspiring blogger/writer/creative artist.

Avoid this 'not in my backyard' mentality before it's too late.

There is no excuse for giving up on petitioning and protesting simply because we have gotten too immune to a high-handed government who sneakily force policies down our throats without seeking our consent despite our position as tax paying citizens (i.e. their shareholders of Singapore) whom they have to account for.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

The Wizard of Oz

#63 The Singapore Inc?

2013-06-02 04:20

PAP has governed Singapore for too long. They forget why they are elected in the first place. I sometime have this feeling they are deluded. They create positions for themselves like they are shareholders and directors of this very prosperous company called The Singapore Inc. As such, the people are pawns who deserve only to work base on CBF (Cheaper,Better,Faster) policy. But on the other hand, they pay themselves exorbitantly.

When the people become more vocal, the board of directors(PAP)now decide to "nip it at the bud" before the people realize that they too have a stake in Singapore Inc. And if this is the case, the people too would like to exercise their rights. Be accorded the respect. Be able part of the process in determining policies that may affect their working and living conditions.

All Fair is Square.

There is still hope, Yaacob Ibrahim. Do the right thing and stand up for the people. Retract the Regulation. Participate more unrestrained dialog with the people. You will be surprised with their intelligence and you will gain more when formulating policies.

The world is getting smaller. If there is Tsunami in Timbaktoo, we get the information minutes later. Whatever decisions and actions you take, we too will get to know it minutes later. So please be select wisely.

2013-06-02 04:44

Freedom of Speech is OUR Human Right.

2013-06-02 04:51

everyone deserved the right to freedom of speech

2013-06-02 04:53

Any human who has a sound mind wants to enjoy freedom of speech and expression. Stop treating us as dogs or 'retards' who prefer oppressive regimes and even support this new Mda licensing regime. Looks like the million $ paying ministers and MDA's CEO Koh Lin-Net do not have sound minds and are an embarrassment to the world ! No offence !
Civil Servant (who is against the PAP)

#67 First they came

2013-06-02 05:03

2013-06-02 05:08

We like it the way it is, FREE.

2013-06-02 05:36

A good cause worthy of support by all who love freedom and fair play.

2013-06-02 06:08

We are not slaves for the PAP!
The Pariah

#71 "Cheng Hoo" (Hokkien for "Government") scared of Yahoo

2013-06-02 06:34

Media Demise Authority (MDA) - RIP please!

2013-06-02 07:30

Let the national conversation flow in its organic form.

2013-06-02 07:37

Bravo...

2013-06-02 07:38

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

#75 Load of BS from Yacoob

2013-06-02 08:13

Already having difficulty controling Singapore and now he wants to control the world? Who he thinks he is, god? Phui!