Petition to Allow Wausau West Master Singers to Sing

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition to Allow Wausau West Master Singers to Sing.

2013-10-06 21:31

I was student in Buchs and Ricos classes. I've never read the bible and not a religious person. I know Buch is the most religious teacher at west. and yes I did quit choir senior for two reasons I wanted to enjoy my last year rather than worrying about concerts, and I was getting tired of buchs sports metaphors. Not any of my choices had to do with religion. As long as Buch isn't writing religious songs I don't see anything wrong in choosing sacred songs.Why the school board is trying to change this is beyond me.
Both Buch and Rico are the among the best teachers at west, teaching more than just music but how to act like adults

2013-10-06 23:02

Worry about something important let CHRISTmas alone.

2013-10-06 23:45

Lose God
Lose Man

So many of America's problems are happening because we are not being allowed to let God into our schools and public places.

2013-10-07 00:30

Is there also a petition allowing a holiday concert in the grade schools, come on parents this is an outrage.

#80 Re:

2013-10-07 01:27

#19: -  

Sorry but I dont agree.... I have meet Mr. Buch and he seems like a very fair mind person.  Don't bad mouth him because you didn't like him and his choice in religion.  A man of faith may be something that can be admired not deminished because you dont care for him as a teacher.  In all my years in Wausau you are seriously the only student I have every heard had an issue wiith Mr. Buch.  Sad very sad!!! I will agree about Rico Jeager... top notch!!!

2013-10-07 01:33

As a music educator, the 5-to-1 ratio misrepresents musical history and choral literature. For students to receive a wholesome education, students should be able to experience the wealth of music that history offers regardless of its origins. Oversensitivity should not stifle student learning.

2013-10-07 01:56

this is ridiculous, if you dont like the music; DONT GO! It's not like theyre preaching it or trying to force you to believe the message behind the music. Its music; its beautiful; let it be.

2013-10-07 02:10

Music is an art form that has evolved, but most scared music was written during a time when composers were inspired by their religion. If we restrict what the schools can sing at holiday concerts, we then like as if we are so afraid to expose students to religious songs, and they will not be educated fully in the world of music. I express this generally, not just to Mater Singers but to the whole district of Wausau that this is being taken too far ,and that politically correctness happens to have limits. I feel this is a case that should be left alone to the teachers, and that whatever music is sung it is not meant to influence religion, but to solely educate.

2013-10-07 03:16

I definitely support performing the best of the core repertoire in concert, be it secular or sacred.

I think there are a lot of open questions here with the press I've read on this decision. What constitutes "religious" music? Is a piece sung in Latin too religious? How about "Here Comes Santa Claus" or "O Christmas Tree" (neither of which are 'religious' songs but deal with a 'religious' holiday)?

Also where did the "5 to 1" ratio come from, and why is it so lopsided (when many concerts don't even have a single group performing 5 songs of any genre)?

One last comment - it seems a lot of people are blaming the school board - from what I've read as an outsider, they had nothing to do with this and were caught as broadsided with this as anyone else. Sounds like any blame here is squarely with the administration.

2013-10-07 03:48

Wausau West alumnus - 1994 and Master Singer.

2013-10-07 04:09

please let these students sing.

2013-10-07 04:55

It is absolutely absurd that school administrators would desire to limit the "religious content" of holiday music. Implementing limits on this is unjust, and destroys the culture of what this music means and where it comes from.

2013-10-07 05:03

One more further attempt to take "Christ" out of Christmas...the reason for the season. Every tradition of Christmas speaks volumes about carrying on the original meaning of Christmas. The giving of gifts for example is a type and picture of the greatest gift that God gave us...his son Jesus Christ. Perhaps these same naysayers and scrooges should play the game in its entirety if they are going to start down that slippery slope and not give each other gifts as it might be construed by others that they are celebrating Gods gift to us Jesus Christ....therefore they shouldn't give gifts to one another either!!!

#89 I am not even fully aware of the situation

2013-10-07 05:25

#19: -

I am not even fully aware of the situation with Phil Buch ( who happens to be a family friend for the last 40 years) as I am no longer in Wausau.  But I must say that reading your comment had me chuckling (because I know Phil so well) and the first thing I thought of was "sour grapes" just from the tone of your letter......then I read #23's comment below and felt totally exonerated of my first opinion. You know that NO one take sour grapes seriously right?????  I will take it seriously thought to pray for you!!!

#90 In response to #19.....

2013-10-07 05:38

#23: - Re:

Aaaaaamen! aayyymen! AYYYYmen! amen!amen!   ( Oh my bad......is that negro spiritual with huge amounts of historical signifigance out of place?) LOL!!!! I totally agree with you and in my humble opinion the whole arguement is Nazism at its best, trying to stiffle important parts of history and culture with a few ignorant uneducated whiners trying to shout over the majority. When they get larangitis we will all go on with our peaceful and culturally enriched lives.

2013-10-07 13:47

If you restrict the music at a Christmas "Holiday" concert than you should also restrict any holiday vacation and continue the children's education. After all, what was the original reason for declaring a holiday vacation?

2013-10-07 13:48

Why do you want to cancle a successful concert, every year it fills up with people and there is no where to sit on both of the nights. The master singers are the best in the school system and they deserve to sing; espcially at the christmas concert. I use to be in the Wausau West Choir, all 4 years and enjoyed every single moment of it. I also looked forward to every single concert that we had, especially the Christmas one at the Grand. We got to sing our hearts out with the songs that we have practiced the whole semester. Mr. Buch knows what he is doing because he only picks the best of the best to be on Master Singers, because they are the masters, they can sing better than anyone else and you know it. If you have ever been to one of the concerts, you would know. If you haven't gone in your life time of being on the school board, maybe you should go see it once in your life. The Christmas concert is the best concert. The whole theater is filled within like 30 minuites. Best feeling ever when you get to see all those people come to watch you sing what you worked on really hard on since the first day of school.
Let Freedom Sing

#93 Re: let the sing

2013-10-07 14:04

Christamas is for Christmas songs.  Let them sing.   People that don't want to listen, don't have to go.  Get rid of the new rules, they aren't necessary.  You are over meddling!#1: -

2013-10-07 15:25

yes we are a Christian nation and yes some of the most beautiful music of the great composers are Christmas carols. This is about a continuing attack on Christianity. We are under attack by another religion and that is secularism which professes that man does not need God. Let's not take another step down this path! Let the choirs sing at Christmas!

2013-10-07 15:39

Our children should be allowed to sing, perform and enjoy the Christmas holiday season.
It is their civil and constitutional right.
Anyone who may be offended by the performance of Christmas celebrations is free to not attend.

2013-10-07 18:39

I grew up in this town; I was in a different school but I recall going to see and listen to the beautiful singing and music from Wausau West Master singer. It's a shame that the schools have to give up so much, haven't our schools lost enough already? Keep the joys of Music - Singer stay alive for future generations!
Elkie

2013-10-07 21:16

I do not live in Wausau but appreciate Christmas music. I think this board is making a huge mistake. I advise the community to fire the entire board who voted for such a ridiculous idea!

2013-10-07 21:58

As a Wausau West Alumni, I am embarrassed by this. It's a sad day when music is this controlled.

2013-10-07 22:13

I saw this from the UK. I know nothing about this choir or their teacher or school and I have never heard them sing. I signed the petition because, when so much of the western classical choral music tradition is sacred music, to impose such a rule is to deny students the opportunity to study a range of great music. Studying these sacred works is not about religion, it's about appreciating the finest art available. To restrict the selection of music in such a way and for such a reason is inexcusable for a group of people who purport to be promoting learning. Shame.

2013-10-07 23:11

If nothing else, this is a cultural experience and should be embraced! If balance is what is to achieved, then this does not resemble balance!