Ban Tail Docking on Dogs in Ireland

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Ban Tail Docking on Dogs in Ireland.

2013-11-10 23:43

Do we not as humans cause enough pain stop the pain!!!!

2013-11-10 23:51

Tail docking is a cruel and inhumane act and must not be allowed to be carried out by members of the public on innocent helpless dogs.

#28 Re: Actual text of the Act

2013-11-11 00:02

#19: Barry - Actual text of the Act

Hi Barry. Alan Rossiter here, Veterinary ireland representative. You are right in that the Act will prohibit docking and dew claw removal

"unless the operation or procedure is carried out in accordance with

(i) animal health and welfare regulations,"

It is intended to issue animal health and welfare regulations - an SI, that can be signed into effect by the Minister without having to be passed by the Oireachtas - to allow for these procedures to be done by non-vets using no anaesthesia or pain relief.

It is now our job to convince the Minister not to do this, and indeed to convince him that he cannot do this as these precedures are cosmetic, and cosmetic procedures are prohibited in this section of the Act!

2013-11-11 00:40

This is a disgrace, what kind of backwards country are we living in that this can be permitted to happen. Its complete disregard for animal welfare and in a time when animal welfare is supposed to be moving in a new direction we have people in our government that would allow this to happen. They obviously do not value the life of animals and have no concern for their well being if they are to permit ordinary members of the public to carry out this mutilation

2013-11-11 01:50

Unnecessary and painful procedure! This is a disgrace.

2013-11-11 06:48

I can't believe Ireland is such a backwards country that they reintroducing the docking of the tail. Come on!

#32 Ban these actions!

2013-11-11 06:52

I can't believe Ireland is such a backwards country that are now talking about reintroducing the docking of the tails. Stop for a minute and think! Rest of Europe banned these actions years ago for a good reason.
J. Bernard

#33 Ban docking of tails of dogs!

2013-11-11 06:55

Ban the docking of tail. These practised was banned for good reasons in the start. Europe banned the same practise years ago.

2013-11-11 06:59

what kind of people make such sick law s allowing the puhblic to cruely dock animal tails
JTK

2013-11-11 08:26

What stupid eeejit sitting in a lovely, big, warm office taking home a comfy fat salary each month thought this one up then, eh? he obviously has no idea of the consequences for animals or pet owners, nor has he done any research on this because, clearly, if he had he would see that it's nonsense.
Conor

#36 Re: Actual text of the Act

2013-11-11 10:30

Hi Barry,

Proposed regulations under a)(i) of the section that you have quoted would allow for the tails of certain breeds to be docked by laypersons when the pup is less than 4 days old. They would also permit the removal of dew claws without anaesthetic before the age of 4 days.

2013-11-11 10:32

I think it's a disgrace that this petition even needs to exist in the first place. That minister should have his nails removed without pain medication and see how he feels.
Fintan

#38 Re: Actual text of the Act

2013-11-11 10:37

Well spotted Barry but the Minister can issue a regulation which permits certain procedures to be carried out, and it is now known that he plans to issue a regulation to permit tail docking of working breeds by non-vets. So this petition is in fact timely and appropriate.

2013-11-11 10:44

This is a horrible practice a dog uses his tail for both balance and emotion, Stop Now Voice For Dogs!!

2013-11-11 10:46

What are they thinking about, allowing more oppertunities for the evil cruel B*******s yo inflict injury on puppies

#41 Re: it's the same In New Zealand...:(

2013-11-11 10:50

#1: -  

2013-11-11 10:52

Tail docking is totally unnecessary for any dog and to allow this antiquated procedure to be carried out for no valid reason by members of the public is crazy. Dog welfare has waited over 100 years for an update to the Welfare of Animals Act 1911, this anomaly needs to be sorted now before this law commences.

2013-11-11 11:07

Dogs are born with a tail, what right have we to decide it should be chopped off???

2013-11-11 11:26

Unacceptable un-regulation from the government.

2013-11-11 11:31

This is a completely cruel and unessecary practice that most vets and good breeders will not perform . There is no need for any animal to undergo cosmetic surgery of any kind unless it's reconstructive or helpful to the animal tail docking and declawing are not helpful or proven to be in anyway

2013-11-11 11:36

Disgusting! How the hell could this possibly be allowed!!?? Do they allow people to chop other peoples fingers off? NO! I can't believe that there is no high up person out there in Ireland to put an end to this cruelty, why it even gets a seconds notice for a petition I'll never know.. OF COURSE it should be banned!!! A person that could even do such a thing to a defenseless creature should be locked up! If this petition has any chance in making a difference of course I'll sign it and share with others. I also hope ear cropping is banned aswell.. These things happening at all make me wonder about this world. Please STOP all this UNNECESSARY cruelty!!!

2013-11-11 11:36

A cruel and inhumane practice. This should only be carried out by a qualified veterinarian!

2013-11-11 11:37

I do not see the need to doc tails and toes. My dog is fine with everything she was born with. Its a cruel and unnecessary practice. Great to have the opportunity through this petition to voice my outrage.

2013-11-11 11:37

it is a disgusting and barbaric procedure it needs to be stopped now.

2013-11-11 11:39

anyone other than vets carrying out any procedure should be regarded as abuse and should be charged and their animals removed from them.