HNS_Haveyouconsidered

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition HNS_Haveyouconsidered.

2013-12-21 21:44

I am a parent of a current HNS student and another that would be going in 2 years. I am also a Melrose elementary school teacher with many students who attended HNS and can say with full confidence that the Community will be losing a gem of the city. The school is fantastic just the way it is, but has the potential to make money with before and after hours curriculum such as classes in drama, music and art. There are also many opportunities for grants and fundraising. I feel that decisions have already been made, but when it comes to the future of our community and its youth it worth trying!

2013-12-22 04:04

It is sad that the Highlands Nursery School is being closed. I have had three of my children and four grandchildren attend. I have nothing but praise for the school and teachers.

#3 Christmas miracle: save the HNS and get these displaced kids into preschool.

2013-12-22 04:18

It's always sad to see institutions fall on hard-times and forced to make difficult decisions, which I regret for the HFCC. It's especially sad to see this hardship transferred onto HNS rendering it a going-concern.

For those unfamiliar with HNS, this is a real and authentic preschool; it's not a daycare or learning center that forces unnatural demands on structured learning. It's classic and a sadly dying breed of high-quality, homey, well-balanced early education that not only makes learning fun for our kids, but teaches good values! It's a real honest-to-God preschool!

In the 12/19 meeting called by HNS supporters to hear from the church on their congregations decision to close the school, it was interesting and disappointing to learn that the school's fate was decided by a 2/3rds majority of 50 attending members of its 175 member congregation.

It was the consensus from the HNS supporters that there was a real missed opportunity by the HFCC's decision not to reach out to the HNS and its supporters to give us the chance to come up with a proactive and creative solution to pool the from our diverse resources and tap into grant funds (that are due to the HFCC's timing no longer available) in order to save this beloved school.

The poor-handling and timing of the decision was hugely unfortunate not only for the school, but for the many parents with children they planned on registering for preschool/pre-K for fall 2014. Those of us in this predicament find ourselves in a very difficult position, where schools are closed for the holiday break and registration is either the first week of 2014 or we are forced to enroll in daycare to get our children the social element where we are at the bottom of a long wait list. So, there is a real possibility many of these displaced families will suffer children that will not be heading to preschool in the fall.

With no contingency plan for the displaced families (particularly those with multiples) the timing of this closing is a huge detriment and those suffering the greatest consequence are the children affected by the poor timing of this decision.

My Christmas miracle: save the Highlands Nursery School and get my displaced preschool-aged child into a quality preschool for Fall 2014.

2013-12-22 12:10

One issue not mentioned is the fact that if this is a commercial rental, it would produce unrelated business income. I would assume that the nursery school is a not-for-profit, making the rents non-taxable. Going from a non-taxable to taxable income requires transaction costs, such as hiring an accountant, the filing of tax returns, paying taxes, possibly becoming subject to local real estate taxes and a host of other changes in how the church does business. Unless these additional costs are considered and taken into account, it is hard to assess the impact on the church finances, even though the new rental will appear greater on the surface.

2013-12-29 17:08

My daughter attended HNS for the 2011-12 school year. I couldn't have dreamed up a more perfect pre-k experience for her if I tried! What a wonderful year filled with memories that will last and a solid foundation for learning that can never be broken. The staff and parents are top notch and students attending this school are amazing and go on to become star citizens of Melrose and surrounding towns! Please consider these options and help save HNS!

2013-12-30 16:46

Our son currently attends HNS and has thrived there. We were looking forward to sending our other two children as well in the coming years. This decision is devastating and a real loss to the community.

2014-01-02 14:13

It would be a shame to see such a valuable instituiton be lost to the city of Melrose.

2014-01-02 15:48

Please take a moment to read and sign! I was so looking forward to sending Carmella here because of all of the fond memories I have of when Christian had attended the Highlands Nursery School back in 2003!!!

2014-01-02 16:10

My husband, brother in law and all 4 of my daughters went to this preschool. Closing the doors would be detrimental to the community. The teachers and staff are amazing and give your child that one on one feeling and if your child is apprehensive about leaving mom or dad, they have a wonderful way of comforting children that need it. They do what they do well and there is no other way ti put it.

2014-01-03 15:07

Wow. As an absentee member of the church (due to location) I am shocked to hear that the nursery school is closing.
To the best of my knowledge I was never contacted about a meeting to discuss the fate of the school. How sad. I went there over 33 years ago, and if not for my location I would have happily sent my children there.
I am disappointed. :(

2014-01-03 16:35

As a sophomore in college, I still have lifelong friends that I met while attending the nursery school. The church is making a big mistake by closing it!
Mommy of 1

#12 Why is It closing?

2014-01-03 16:48

Not sure it is a Strictly "financial" reason for Closing - but WHY Do they NOT seem to Offer 5-Full Days of Pre-K, as most of their Competitors? Seems silly for Any working Parent to be Able to do Only 2 OR 3 Days ...
Thank goodness for Family Daycares in Melrose!

2014-01-03 18:14

The school was planning on rolling out a 5 day option for the 2014/2015 school year.
Mommy of 4

#14 Re: Why is It closing?

2014-01-07 19:07

#12: Mommy of 1 - Why is It closing?

I was #9 with a comment on this petition. I for one was extremely happy that they had half day.  I chose to work nights so I could stay home with all four of my kids during the early years.  There are still parents who opt for this option where it be that their child is not ready or for financial reasons.  To some paying what the ECC charges for full day pre k is ridiculous.  Ful day is not an option or fit for every parent/child.

Pam

#15 Re: Closing HNS

2014-01-08 21:41

#1: - I was shocked to hear the HNS was closing. More shocked on how it went about without notifying the school and parents before they held the registration for the fall of 2014. I cannot imagine telling parents and staff that it would be closing after signing children up. It is so unethical how this was handled by the church with no regards to the staff, families and the children. The church has no idea how this impacts so many lives or did they ever take that into consideration. I don't it. I bet Bonnie Bowden would be heartbroken to know that members of the congregation voted this after building such a wonderful school.

2014-01-09 17:34

Prior to my daughter attending HNS, I truly didn't comprehend the significance of selecting the right pre-school. After spending two incredible years as part of the HNS family, I now realize that it is monumental. It's establishing the foundation for your child's success in life. I am committed to do anything I can to help save this school.

2014-01-09 23:28

Twenty-two years ago I began my educational journey at the Highlands Nursery School. My mother walked with me, hand in hand to the door of the neighborhood school brightly depicted by the red apple "Welcome" flag. I remember this day distinctly. I was nervous, but fought back the tears as my mother knelt down to hug me before we parted ways. In no time at all did the classroom painted yellow become my favorite place to be. My teachers, Mrs. Sullivan and Mrs. Bowden created a classroom environment of comfort and security. While gaining the essential objectives of the pre-school curriculum, Highlands Nursery School was a place where imagination and creativity were welcomed. In this risk-free educational environment, I flourished academically, socially, and emotionally.

I am now twenty-five years old, and I am a first year Kindergarten teacher in a suburb just north of Boston. I have the best job in the world, and I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to enrich the lives of twenty-three five-year-olds each day. There is no doubt in my mind that I would not have ended up where I am today had it not been for my experience at Highlands Nursery School.

2014-01-10 00:41

As a highlands alum, it was very sad to hear of the school's closing. Many of my earliest memories are there - building block-forts in Mrs. Bowdin's class, eating snacks and saying grace in the Great Room, and making Christmas ornaments (all of which my parents have and display proudly during the holidays).

While the closing is sad on a personal level, what is most upsetting is that the children who grow up in the Melrose Highlands will not have the same early childhood experiences, build friendships, or prepare for kindergarten in the same warm, nurturing environment that I was lucky enough to experience.

I urge the members of the board to reconsider their decision to close the Highlands Nursery School. Closing the doors on a school that has become a staple in our community without completely exploring any and all alternatives would be a shame, and would be doing a disservice to any future children and families of the Melrose Highlands.