WHEN GENOCIDE BECAME "FAMINE" : IRELAND, 1845 - 1850

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition WHEN GENOCIDE BECAME "FAMINE" : IRELAND, 1845 - 1850.

2014-08-11 21:13

My mother was from Cork and she told me all about the awful things that happened.

2014-08-18 22:00

I have always known that the potato blight did not kill millions of Irish people. A potato blight does not destroy other crops or farm animals. When I was doing history with my oldest son some years ago his book stated that the famine was caused by monoculture, the worst piece of revisionist history I had encountered. If it has been Russia or another foreign power that had held Ireland enslaved for over 800 years then the loudest condemnation would have come from the British. They would have started a World War to free us. Now isn't that ironic.
Joe from Admin

#428 Re: Re: Reply to American /Canadian.

2014-08-19 10:59

#425: Chris Burke - Re:  

Well said Chris. The man is an asshole troll.

2014-08-22 19:25

Braders, Ireland and Serbia !

2014-08-24 16:44

Justice for Ireland!

2014-09-08 18:39

its about time the truth came out that this was a genocide against the Irish people

2014-09-09 17:52

I couldn't agree more with this movement! All eight of my great grandparents were born in Ireland and they each came to America. If not for the English treatment of the Irish, I might have been born in Ireland too. People need to know the facts!

#433 Re:

2014-09-09 19:04

#8: Mike McC -  

read this book....Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly

2014-09-24 12:23

Revisionist historians are selective in what they present to the public. They pick and choose what would be politically correct and inoffensive when the antics in Parliament wasted valuable time and killed thousands. The graft and corruption were endless and the assessment of "pay rates" for "made work" was ludicrous. The goal was to rid Ireland of the Irish not unlike the Nazi goal to rid Europe of the Jewish people. I am reading Tim Pat Coogan's exhaustively researched book, "The Famine Plot..." It is absolutely shocking.

2014-09-29 12:34

Genocide not famine, no more imperialist lies!
lorenzo

2014-09-30 10:44

This is a good cause, it's about time that our own irish historians stopped brushing over this period of history, watering it down and sanitising it in a manner that gives the impression of an inferiority complex. Read Tim Pat Coogans book on this subject and you will get an idea of what this petition is about. Foreign historians dont have any difficulty describing it as systematic genocide, why should our own irish historians?

Lorenzo

#437 Re:

2014-09-30 11:38

#401: The Canadian-American -  

There is nothing idiotic (a bit patronising that) about wanting the truth, nobody wants to whip up bad racial sentiments. This petition is about telling the truth, in the same way the Jews, Armenians and others have asked for the truth.  Some people would prefer the sanitised version because they dont like to be shown in a bad light.  Look at it this way any time the Americans make a movie taking the credit for something the British originated, the British go ape shit over it especially in the press and media, i think you'll agree this petition is a lot more moderate and is only looking for a more truthful version of history.

2014-10-05 22:20

thanks to Gaberielle putting me onto this site never knew it was on here thanks. i hope to learn a lot more about IRELANDS history

2014-10-07 18:55

A worthy cause

2014-10-10 07:35

I signed this petition because I have a mother who is Irish and I don't like what the British had done to her people. I even don't like the word "Famine" being because I know that it's used to make it look like Ireland didn't grow things well when it actually did. Land in Ireland is very valuable. It still is and that's why the British used all of Ireland to make food but guarded strictly from the Irish. Not to get too much of what I know of Irish history, I signed this petition especially because I'm sick of the truth being suppressed. The British still deny the greatest numbers of those that died of the Irish Genocide. They're acting just like those who deny the Holocaust of WW2.
Watt Tyler

2014-10-11 16:46

Great cause, people should study the irish so called famine and learn from it, Capitalists should be reminded constantly of the misdeeds they have committed against people. The people were treated like animals, disposable asset, that were of no value to the British establishment.

2014-10-13 12:59

good luck with this project.

2014-10-15 00:35

A chaird! The Irish who had no land no money no help were the ones that suffered ,to the Irish speakers it was An Drochshaol, The Bad, Hard, time. Tip Pat Coogan's book proves we can use the word genocide to explain what happened in Éire/Ireland in the years between 1845-1850. Is mise le meas Donchadh
Watt Tyler

2014-10-16 22:55

I Read Tim Pat Coogans book, to me it illustrates everything that is wrong with the Human Race. Power is held by a ruling elite who hide behind the banner of Nationalism; while secretly balancing the books, just like the British establishment did during the time of the Famine and during Cromwells time. At the other end of the scale you have the ordinary joes totally leaderless and directionless or at least with no effective leadership.  Its the same the world over how many conflicts or colonial enterprises were really about money; Use the missionaries as camouflage and then steal the natives land and natural assets after, pretend your waging a religious war in Ireland then steal land, dispossess, murder, kill and sell people into slavery, eg Cromwell the great liberator who did deals with plantation owners selling them human cargo. Its the same struggle since time immemorial and we mugs still put up with it and do nothing to break the cycle. I'm amazed. the irish dont hate us english more when you look at past history, its a credit to their intelligence and common sense that they recognise the real enemy the british establishment the reptillian creeps who preach fake morality on one hand and hold a calculator in the other.  If it was the other way round we'd be going on about it forever in our own inimitable sanctimonious manner. The biggest mistake the Irish made during the famine was not having a massive revolt millions of people what were the govt going to do?Tom Barry the famous guerilla leader once said he had no time for the famine generation because not one of them reached for a pike, a bit harsh i agree but at the same time he had a point.

2014-10-28 17:07

Please support this
Enoch Mosley

#446 Re: Re:

2014-10-28 20:01

#437: Lorenzo - Re:  The Canadian/American has a point its ancient history. What do you expect people to do about it, even if they do rewrite history, who's going to give shit anyway. People are not interested in what happened yesterday if you asked a group of kids what Auschwitz was they'd probably tell you it was s football team in the Bundasliga

2014-11-01 13:10

Ireland was still exporting food to England whilst the ordinary crofter farmers and their families were being evicted from their homes for non-payment of rents to their British and Irish landlords. This was a deliberate policy of genocide to rid Ireland of it's native, mostly Irish speaking peasantry . Over three million people died or were sent abroad. Queen Victoria sent a paltry five pounds to the relief fund.

2014-11-05 14:13

Please tell the truth about the MILLIONS of Human Beings who either suffered a horrible death or were forced to emigrate because of sheer inhumanity.
Thank you, Leo Eckenrode
reaid

2014-11-08 02:20

I'm reading about there was not a "Great Famine" in Ireland, it was really  genocide by the British. I had family that came to America because of the "Famine". Now I tell  my family the truth about the way our people in West Ireland was treated.  I had heard stories about the way the people of West Ireland were treated  by the British. I had often wondered why these people  would starve just because of the potato shortage. Now I know the answer. I would recommend  the book "The Famine Plot" by Tim Pat Coogan . This book is one that once you start reading it you find it hard to put down. I have a better understanding about  what really happened to these great people.

2014-11-13 04:17

It is about time that we put this all in perspective .

I would love to know how this affected my ancestors...but I think all records have been destroyed by the British.

Also,would love to know what lands were stolen from my family.