KEEP THE TRADITION OF SALMON NETTING ON THE TAMAR TAVY

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition KEEP THE TRADITION OF SALMON NETTING ON THE TAMAR TAVY.

fisherman

2014-02-09 17:09

i agree they shouldnt ban a tradition of a life time because the rich say so

2014-02-09 17:13

i agree salmon fishing should keep going for the tradition and the lively hood of fisherman

2014-02-10 12:02

License salmon netting has been going on in the Tamar as long as I can remember, why should the rich have it all and not the working class!!!! That is what it is all about!!

2014-02-12 10:46

i agree
Aussie Tamar lover

2014-02-21 11:32

My uncle is one of the licence holders and is a legend on the Tamar. do not take away such a big part of his life. I have seen him many times in my younger days enjoying his fishing of the Tamar

2014-02-22 18:25

my uncles salmon netted on the river for many years, now you are trying to take away peoples livelihoods

2014-03-11 19:48

Net Limitation Orders should be used for conservation purposes not as a tool to end
net fisheries.The case has not been made to
continue with these NLO's as inaccurate and spurious fish counter readings raises doubt
as to the validity of conservation limits
and returning stock evaluation figures in high water events.
Barry

2014-03-12 17:33

iam a licence holder,i net in poole harbour,you have my full suport,Barry

2014-03-16 16:49

Are the Authorities being 'sneaky' about this?
Musicman

2014-03-17 16:57

My father was a salmon license holder on the Tamar & Tavy and I used to fish with him,
I agree salmon fishing should keep going.

2014-03-25 17:50

Salmon netting under oars should be a proud example of sustainable fishing, not a victim of riparian owners seeking to protect their investments.

2014-03-25 23:14

as always with the EA when in doubt BAN IT, as always broken promises , its alright for the spoilt rich to catch them in there hundreds , and keep x amount , but for us plebs we can only catch i think its 8 a year ,if the salmon is so scarce ???????? then ban it all together no more rod and line fishing and no more keeping the catch , but we all know that wont happen, .......

its a tradition and should be kept ,,,,,,,,environment agency are full of tree talkers and bunny huggers and do as there told by the EU  and havent a clue , sorry i forgot and full of bullshit and lies. have delt with them for many years what they say at 09.30 by 10.30 its changed never been said and forgot ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2014-03-28 21:16

Sporting tradition at its finest! Can't be lost!

2014-03-28 22:41

Keep the tradition, family fishing for those who want it!

2014-03-30 08:20

I am not a fisherman, not for sport or work. This is our heritage and should be retained. Are they going to ban sport fishing at Endsleigh? I very much doubt it, money talks!!!
conservation

#16 Re: comments

2014-03-30 10:05

#1: fisherman -

Why is there a misconceived assumption that this is about wealthy riparian owners dictating to the EA. The Salmon stocks have hugely declined in the past 100yrs due to various ecological reasons, sea netting, poaching etc. The EA stopped the tidal netting 10 years ago, including a financial renumeration to the fisherman to cover "potential" losses, due to lack of Salmon entering the river system. The Salmon stocks are still massively depleted. This is about conservation of an amazing creature. Every Salmon removed from the Tamar further depletes precious stock. CONSERVATION or EXTINCTION, what is acceptable??

SALMON SPAWN TO SURVIVE

#17 Re: comments

2014-03-30 10:09

#3: -

Salmon have been disappearing from the river as long as I can remember. Carry on netting until they are no more, what will the netsmen do then??

catch and release

#18 Re: post

2014-03-30 10:17

#15: - Endsliegh fishing club promote catch and release fly fishing. Salmon are returned to the river to spawn. They have also committed huge financial investments into salmon conservation and restocking programmes to save the Tamar Salmon from disappearing. What will the nets do for conservation?

2014-03-30 16:26

after reading the last two comments i think it is unfair for the netsman to lose theirway of life as all their net fishing is all done by hand and it is very substainable fishing. if all fishing was done like this it would be better for all fish stocks. if the salmon stocks are that bad then everybody should be stopped and not just the netsman. why is there one rule for one and not the other (mone

2014-03-30 16:31

(MONEY TALKs thats what its all about!!!!!)
conservation

#21 Re:

2014-03-30 17:18

#19: - Its not one rule for one and not the other, catch and return fly fishing means the fish go back in the river not sold for profit.Fly fishing is a sport. If the netsmen want sport they should learn to use a rod like the real conservation minded fly fishermen. This is about conservation and if you don't understand that then sorry but your comments are misguided

#22 nets

2014-03-30 17:18

Being a Salmon fisherman myself (rod and line) I know that we have sod all fish left in the river. I spend hundreds a year buying tickets to fish for Salmon on the Tamar with the prospects of a fish minimal at best, angling brings revenue to the area, what do the nets bring to the party ? Millions have been spent to try and safeguard stocks on the Tamar and regeneration of these amazing fish. I completely understand this is a long standing tradition and a big pill to swallow the thought of you guys not being able to carry on. Ask yourself this question what are you going to do when you no fish left to fish for ?

2014-03-30 18:46

As an angler and commercial,seasonal,traditional and whatever the next label the angling lobby will put on us netsman I have fished in the tradition of my forefathers and have used the same methods and gear to catch fish as they have over the last three hundred years yes thats right three hundred years and possibly more.I don't know what catastrophic event took place in the nineties but what ever it was it reduced the stock numbers of all the rivers in the British Isles over night(check your local river statistics on Cefas).Could it have been the invention of RSE or CL? Tamer Netsmen take about I.5% Rods take 2.5 of the RSE where does the other 97% go?
Tamar SAP? Not if they can't produce an annual return that satisfies the Tamar CL from 97%.of the RSE.

#24 Nets

2014-03-30 18:49

I dont understand why people decride it as( taking away peoples livelihoods) shortly no fish will be left to net so effectively they are taking away there own livelihoods. All the netsmen have survived for the last ten years without netting, its about doing whats best for river and the stocks.This is not about money, its easy to point the finger at the rich but unfortunately the rich people are too wise not to let it this go and get the blame. Everybody knows deep down removing the nets was the correct thing to do for the Tamar.
Orri.

2014-03-30 19:18

I support the Tamar Seine fishermen 100% they are the victims of a river grab by Riparian Owners aided by the EA. A net free river trebles the price of a days fishing think of it a Tax Free,rate free,vat free investment that comes with buckshee improvement grants?