KEEP THE TRADITION OF SALMON NETTING ON THE TAMAR TAVY

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition KEEP THE TRADITION OF SALMON NETTING ON THE TAMAR TAVY.

Orri

2014-04-09 13:13

It seems the Gunnislake data debacle has stirred a hornets nest as management targets,CL's,NLO's and the whole rationale of salmon assessment is being questioned throughout the UK by past and present fishermen who might have lost their livelihoods through incorrect counter data in their areas.Where conservation limit compliance are/were borderline the case for further action in the form of by-law or NLO might have been unnecessary and unwarranted if it was supported by figures gfrom a resistivity counter. If there are any netsmen monitoring this petition they should contact their local net rep and ask for clarification.

Willie Gunn.

2014-04-09 16:04

Just when we thought we had you off you seem to have come up with a gem Orri, as a non-political fly fisherman I was intersted in your point about salmon stocks especially the fact that fish not caught are not counted as that does seem to suggest a deliberate attempt to deceive.It is inconceivable highly respected scientists did not know this was the case or that there was a fault with resistivity counters. Perhaps you are right and there has been a conspiracy against rods and nets by the conservationist and scientific elite to stop all exploitation of Atlantic Salmon.I bear no malice towards Tamar netsmen so I will be asking for an explanation at the next forum.

Orri.

2014-04-10 10:25

Thank you Willie Gunn I'm glad to offer assistance to all river users especially those who fall prey to the legaleese of these full time scientists who not only baffle the Minister but baffle themselves with Pie Charts Time against effort,Cpue graphs etc.etc. as they try to promote themselves.If these people were so clever how did it take NINETEEN years to discover a discrepency that influenced important stock predictions.It's a disgrace and they should be sacked.

Orri

2014-04-11 19:03

May I say as one who supports traditional netting throughout the British Isles thats its been an honour and pleasure to represent and assist bona fida netsman who are trying desperately to cling on to their heritage against the powers and influence of wealth and privilege.I hope if there is any justice in this corrupt world of ours that the Tamar netsmen will succeed against all the odds to prove to this Cornish Minister of the cultural,historical and economical argument to keep this Cornish tradition alive . Good luck fellow netsmen and God Bless.
noah

2014-04-18 23:24

I see this has lost the initial pace like manchester united ! Just a matter of time before people get bored and want to move on to more pressing matters like making the most of the nice weather and cutting the grass.Its obvious that 95% of people on here dont understand about the decline of salmon stocks and the damage the nets have done in the past and will do again. Lets look forward to a satisfactory outcome for everyone who really cares about it. Getting the lady in the village and all your mates to sign wont be enough to bring it back as the world has moved on.

2014-05-29 18:22

Our indigenous works and customs are as valuable as any anywhere else in the world. Netting is sustainable and the quality of the fish beats that of polluting fish farms. Improve the quality of rivers and limit industrial fishing to increase salmon stocks. Iniquitous for the licences to be ended for the benefit of riparian owners.
ORRI

#157 Re:

2014-07-07 09:42

#156: -  Defra have once again buckled to the financial pressure of lobbyists and the interests of rank and privilege which is what you expect from a Tory Minister.

Salmon

#158 Re:

2014-08-21 18:33

Conservationist 

Has anyone asked the Salmon what they think. No? Guess why - try finding one to ask! This is nothing to do with livelihoods or sporting pass times for the rich or the working man,  it is about conservation of a species that has dwindled to next to nothing over the last 40 years. A combination of polutants, fishing ( nets or otherwise) & poaching means unless something is done there will be no Salmon in the Tamar. Another question you need to ask is who has done most to preserve the Salmon stock in the Tamar over the last 20 years - those that have paid to restock the Tamar on numerous ocassions to find themselves pilloried as 'the rich'  in the comments on this petition.

Truthmonger

#159 Re:

2014-11-24 19:50

#1: fisherman -  

It's got nothing to do with the so-called rich versus the so-called poor. The season tickets for the various angling clubs in Cornwall are very reasonable! This whole petition lark reeks of "class-envy". I grew up on the banks of the Tamar and my experience of the salmon netters was that they broke all the rules; instead of of shooting the net in a crescent they freqently stretched it from right across the river from one bank to the other.Any attempt to engage them in conversation would be met with a tirade of abuse and threats of physical violence!

Wearewatchingyou

#160 Poaching nets

2018-06-16 13:53

looking forward to watching the nets closely this season to see if they hide fish again. You never know who’s see’s what you are REALLY doing