Macleay Island State School Needs a New Principal

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Macleay Island State School Needs a New Principal.

2014-02-11 09:10

The principal needs to go she is the problem!

2014-02-11 10:22

My kids are not saints... but being told that it is better to keep my son at home rather than him attend school is not on. I was told if he did attend school this year, after having arrived only in October 2013, that I would be picking him up at around midday every day. They didn't want to go through the paperwork of expelling a child they didn't put in an effort to help I believe so chose to use bully tactics and make it as much of an inconvenience as possible. My sons 2 previous schools worked with me to help my son. Not against. The rest of my children still attend this school while my eldest has just begun distance education at home. I have many issues with this school but this is my main peeve.

2014-02-11 10:57

My grandson was coming home from this school saying he wanted to kill himself because he was no good and stupid. After home-schooling him for over a year now he is amazing. He is happy and confident. He wants to go to school but we cannot send him back there whilst this principal is in power. She has destroyed the confidence of so many children and we won't put him back so she can destroy him again. I wish someone would do something for the sake of our children. They need our voices because they do not get listened to.

Anonymous

2014-02-11 11:17

#3: -

You are right. She has crushed many childrens confidence. This woman needs to go now!!!

2014-02-13 10:50

Defently need something done regarding the principal of MISS
Concerned Mum

2014-02-19 08:39

The infamous comment "its not the school that's the problem it's the students that are in it"
said to the students during an assembly.
School functions are non existent, the students miss out on so much. The moral of the staff and students is extremely low as the principle has very little respect for our Island Community and lifestyle. The impression I get from her is she despises us and we a little more than lowest class citizens that should be grateful to her for being there.
My daughter, who no longer attends the school, refused to speak with the principle over any concerns because she felt it was never dealt with.

The situation is dangerous, students have no respect for her and she has none for them. I have seen a kid nearly get hit by the bus as he ran across the road with nothing being said by the principle, she just watched it happen (mind you this is in the parking and collection area when she is on duty after school)

She does not care and is not afraid to say so. Those of you who watch home an away, the recent principle character was exactly what ours is like, tho, she hasn't burnt down the school or blown anything up... yet!

2014-07-06 06:30

As a teacher, hearing about what is going on at this school is very concerning. If the principle does not leave, she should at least seek the proper assistance to run this school in a safe and effective way for ALL children.

2015-10-13 21:02

We have been on Macleay for 20 years having moved from Darwin. Our older son was in grade 4 and finished his primary years at M.I.S.S. and our eldest daughter went there from pre school to grade 7. Both of them did extremely well and have fantastic childhood school memories. Back then the school had fantastic principals, 3 of them being men (not the last one, Andrew Cummings who should never have got the job) and our youngest daughter was there from pre school through to the last term of grade six when we pulled her out and put her into Redland Bay S.S. as the school was going downhill in a big way under the current principal. Along with that as Instructors of the local karate club we have had many parents and students tell us of their personal accounts of bullying and complete lack of action from Mrs Brennan. The Education Dept must realise that all the parents pulling their kids out and taking them to the mainland for school is a huge call due to the fact that these young kids have to get up extra early and come home quite late as well as the inconvenience and expense (huge!) to these families. The Department should have taken action years ago and has no excuse for ignoring the many complalints that have been filed over the years that she has been principal. Disgraceful!
Macca

#9 Re:

2016-09-11 21:17

#8: -  

My grand daughter is currently enrolled into MISS next year being year six. I am now very apprehensive in regards to sending her there. In your view, after your experience and communicating with ongoing student and parents that go there, has it improved. Is there a new principal. My other relative is also starting prep there next year. HELP???

#10 Re: Re:

2016-10-10 06:38

#9: Macca - Re:  

Hi Macca

This is a very old thread. My kids have been going to this school for the past 2 years and I have nothing but great things to say about it. They are doing well and extremely happy.

Previn

#11 Re:

2017-06-26 02:00

#2: -  

Is it even legal to ask them to attend half a day? this has happened recently to a friend of mine and she moved her 6 yr old and he's happy at another school,I had my 15 yr old go through the same at secondary all because they didn't want him off the books officially...why's that? funding per student?

2018-05-03 20:48

How is the school now?.what are the average class sizes, do the children enjoy attending m.i.s.s ?