Derby Hippodrome

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Derby Hippodrome.

2014-05-04 16:55

Now is the time to act to save this beautiful and historic building and restore it in the planned imaginative way.

2014-05-05 00:12

Please save the Wonderful Hippodrome!

2014-05-05 10:51

The council's lack of action whilst this building has continued to deteriorate over the last 10 years is shameful. Whether it's unwillingness or incompetence is not clear, but it seems they've been out maneuvered at every stage by a savvy developer with no interest in the building's cultural worth and no respect for it's listed status.
It's time they got their act together and acted decisively in the interests of the local communities by bringing this back building back into use as a theatre, improving the cultural offerings of Derby and revitalising a dying section of the city centre.

2014-05-05 21:52

Something needs to be done quickly. It has gone on too long with Derby City Council doing what its good at, sitting oon the fence.

2014-05-05 22:25

My grandfather was lead violinist at Teh Hippodrome latterly. Many fond memories of seeing him in the orchestra pit at pantomimes in the 1950's!

2014-05-06 08:10

The Hippodrome could look wonderful and replace that sorry affair The Assembly Rooms. We need a decent venue to attract artists and shows to our city. Good luck.

2014-05-06 20:43

Please restore this (formerly) beautiful building. Don't let it rot. It will become a 'jewel in Derby's crown' I'm sure.

2014-05-07 15:14

With so few traditional theatre buildings left, it is all the more important that the last remaining example in Derby is restored for the benefit of the inhabitants. No other venue in Derby can viably accommodate the larger touring shows which the citizens have a right to see without travelling long distances. Earlier theatre architects knew how to design theatres with atmosphere and which worked;unfortunately many modern designers have never acquired the art.

2014-05-13 21:06

The whole area where the Hippodrome is has become very run down but could be made attractive and welcoming. The restoration of the Hippodrome would bring a bit of class to Derby, and provide a mid sized venue with good acoustics for a range of amateur and professional companies and orchestras to use.

2014-05-27 21:23

Very important to keep live theatre healthy.I support our local amateur drama group (Triangle Players.Tilehurst.Reading).Trod the boards as a young man,small parts in a local group!!

2014-06-29 15:51

Derby deserves a theatre where the public can watch top class productions and just as important touring productions have a venue suitable to work unlike the assembly rooms which for various reasons is a nightmare

2014-07-07 18:18

All the best from your 2,000 Friends at The Hippodrome, Ashton-under-Lyne. We Hippos must stick together!

2014-07-07 18:39

I had the honour of studying in Derby and lived there for three years. It has some amazing historical buildings please dont let this one be just a memory

2014-07-09 13:21

As a native of Derby who owe so much to what the city gave me in my youth, including love of the theatre nurtured at Bemrose School and by the then Playhouse, I think those now responsible for the city should enhance what it offers to today's young generation by supporting the restoration of the Hippodrome wholeheartedly (and thereby do something to atone for their failure to protect this listed building).

2014-07-09 13:48

I have always been proud to have worked there for over 20 years maintaining it to my best enthuseiastic ability. It has been a big memorable part of my life with so many memories & being able to photograph personalities & bingo patrons, also to have tread its sacred boards during staff christmas shows.I consider myself as to being its longest campainer, showing all sorts of people around this building when it was at best & to instigate it into being a grade 11 listed building. HOPEFULLY, THIS CAMPAIGN WILL BE SUCCESSFULL, GOOD LUCK ,TEAM, & thankyou for caring as much as I did .

2014-07-09 19:10

Help the Hippodrome! Help Derby make its mark!

#67 DERBY HIPPODROME

2014-07-13 20:03

As the last Director of the old Derby Playhouse in Sacheverel Street and the first Director of the new what was then Derby Playhouse in the Eagle Centre, there is a part of me which rather wishes the
Hippodrome had been available in 1975 ! Now that the Derby Theatre lives again, with much thanks to the University and great gripfulness by the new management, and the Assembly Halls have become a problem, it seems that this is Derby's last chance to provide a really integrated Arts buildings offer. Sheffield, Eastbourne and other places run successful multi - venue 'offers'. If Derby could somehow do so, it would enormously enhance Derby's attractiveness as a location for businesses, etc to move to / consider, surely. RAM it home - bring it on !

2014-07-14 11:50

very good idea hoping for restoration soon

2014-07-19 12:29

I made my stage debut, in pantomime at the Derby Hippodrome in about 1954 where my step father played in the pit orchestra. It was a beautiful theatre and it should be restored. I went on to become a professional actor.

2014-09-14 15:38

Now is surely the time to fully explore this possibility.

2014-09-26 15:19

Hippodrome would be a good replacement for the Assembly Rooms

2014-09-26 15:25

One cannot believe that Derby is a CITY for the lack of facilities compared to other towns & cities. The Hippodrome should be saved as a lasting momento for the citizens of Derby & the surrounding area.
exdancer

#73 Re:

2014-11-22 23:01

#7: -  

I remember going back stage when I was a teenager, that would be about 1958, long time ago but I will always remember how thrilling it was.

2015-07-13 17:21

I love the Hippodrome and I feel that it should be preserved for the interest and enjoyment of future generations.

2016-03-07 17:39

I used to work at the Hippodrome and my parents and grandparents used to go there.