No to Hartwells Student Build

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition No to Hartwells Student Build.

Al_prof

#26 Re: Subject

2014-05-13 16:43

There seems to be too debates here, one that all but one poster are concerned about, namely the influx of 430 students in a residential suberb. Then there is the issue of one poster about the paucity of places in certain primary schools over others. My understanding is that there are plenty of places at the two primary schools in twerton which would be a short walk over the footbridge by the Dolphin from this new development. Or is the issue about the quality of the schools? That seems to me to be another debate.

2014-05-13 17:58

major concerns re parking on site, that will spill over into local area

concerned over safety of children at local school

concerned about possibilty of large numbers of students returning from nights out
Concirned

#28 Unjustifiable

2014-05-13 20:08

The influx of recently qualified drivers, Looking to park a potential 400+ cars on residential roads inhabited by young families... Yes, this concerns me greatly! It's not just one accident waiting to happen. It's many, and tragically, It's likely to involve small children.

2014-05-13 20:49

This proposed development is too much in a small residential area. The development doesn't provide enough parking for the number of students, therefore they will spill out on the roads which are already crowded from the hospital workers parking off site.

I am concerned for the road safety on this corner, there already appears to be too many junctions around this bend and with it being the main crossing point for the school entrance, it is an accident waiting to happen if another junction is added to this bend especially with such a high volume of traffic leaving from it.

This corner also has a very narrow pavement, at most times only passable by one person, often causing people to walk in the road which has it obvious dangers at present. If more people start using the bus stop there this problem will only get worse, again leading to a higher risk of a road accident.

2014-05-13 21:00

The site should be used for family homes. That's what bath needs, especially in an already family friendly area.

2014-05-13 21:23

From previous experience in other cities, this type of development doesn't usual occur in desirable residential areas, but instead closer to the university and amenities that the students need.

2014-05-13 21:30

My objection is that the housing is not of good enough quality at this stage to justify planning permission or the price they will be charging.

I would expect more living space, separate rooms for eating, entertaining, studying, sleeping, cooking etc. Students always want a second room for entertaining along with their bedroom and also the communal facilities, be they kitchen or bathing facilities, should be up to scratch.

2014-05-14 16:54

I'm fed up with student housing being put up! Tell/ask them to build on the campuses! Free up homes for families.

#34 #34

2014-05-14 17:44

The land needs to be developed, definitely, but this is a residential area. The area is full of families and professionals - the lessons should have been learnt with Oldfield Park. Student accommodation needs to be near the universities, on campus but not in a residential area. Use it to build new residential houses that would be much needed. Additionally, the current infrastructure is already at BREAKING POINT with RUH commuter parking blocking roads and pavements and infringing upon every road and space, then school traffic and the current residents need to be able to park. The road has a dangerous blind bend as well. This is not the place for this development which would only benefit the landowners and line their pockets and leave a hellish nightmare for the community.

2014-05-14 18:34

At the moment, I am unable to park in my road, Lyme Road, during Newbridge Infant/Junior school drop off and pick up times.Also, I am unable to drive along the road during these times and it is not unusual for me to be 'blocked in'by a parent with a child at the school parking incorrectly. The parking situation is also impossible at night when residents (not only those living in the road) return home.The situation would be exacerbated with students living locally with inadequate parking by their rooms.I live off the main road ( Newbridge Road),a quiet road at night, with a lane at the side of my house leading to the main road.Going out late and returning late, students parking their cars in my road ( in the spaces they previously vacated) would use the lane, not quietly, to reach their rooms.

2014-05-16 17:22

This is a ridiculous place to have such a huge building facing straight on to the road. Where isthe parking for students' cars? And how can they exit onto such a busy road with lots of kids and parents? I myself had a shunt incident there some years ago as we politely waited for a police car to exit the garage! The visibility is poor. Incidentally Hartwells show a leafy green lane behind the proposed buildings. That scheme was scrapped years ago, and we have assurance from the council will never be brought up again.

2014-05-16 18:07

Problem - a giant doss house too densely packed for the environment in which it will be situated. Also, it will add to parking and road safety problems on Newbridge Road and the surrounding streets. Bath's priorities ? Affordable housing for permanent residents and commercial development to bring good quality jobs - not more student housing for transients.
klc

#38 No to Hartwells student build

2014-05-17 19:37

A 400+ student campus has just been approved in Green Park, Bath city centre. Surely this is sufficient enough accomodation for additional student housing. And let's not forget the student housing that is being built on Lower Bristol Road where Avlon garage was. Why do we possibly need even more accomodation for students in such a residential area? I agree with all of the other comments too. A residential development that has a caveat to limit how many of these new homes can be used for student lets (like Article 4 Oldfield Park) will be a much better option. Actually a nice new leisure centre would be even better! Something for the people of Bath that have to live here!

2014-05-18 18:20

Totally unsuitable location for students. Roads already heavily congested with traffic, people,nearby school and car parking saturation with many residents unable to park and hospital staff using the roads around. Residents have a right to this City and not to be overlooked in favour of yet more Student Buildings.

2014-05-23 14:07

Sly development again. no need for it as old block in Green Park, to be turned in to student accommodation. They should build more house`s on the Hartwells site. affordable for the kids, under £180.000 two bed, profit for the builder and a home for a family. I can but dream?. On the note of parking, you can forget that, just try parking in east Twerton, say around Ringwood Rd, cars are parked for the whole term there here.

2014-05-27 21:56

We all know that the no car rule for students in this accommodation will not be enforced in reality. The strain on this area for parking is already at bursting point with RUH staff; not that it is the staffs fault - the hospital doesn't provide an alternative for them. The area needs affordable housing for shared ownership and rental by key workers such as RUH staff!

2014-06-10 19:57

apart from the obvious parking problems, The outskirts are fast becoming a sprawling university campus. very little thought seems to be given to the ordinary residents of Bath.

2014-06-11 08:51

I like many others have no objection to low cost housing on this site or housing in general, but to bring this number of students into our area would be disasterous. We already have a serious car parking problem across the Newbridge area. I
worry too about the consultation period falling so conveniently over the Summer holiday. No, No to student accommodation. A disaster in the making.

2014-06-11 17:50

I agree with lost cost housing or any development that encourages young families into our area. However, many of the students I have encountered have little regard for the surrounding area. I unfortunately have a student let right next door to me and know first hand what little regard they have for the environment.

2014-06-11 17:54

If the Council are already proposing to convert the flats at Green Park into student accommodation as well as the old Twerton Mill the Lower Bristol Road, why do they need so many places to accommodate students? This is becoming a circus and the good people of Newbridge and other parts of Bath are to suffer. This needs to stop and the University release some of the precious land themselves!!

#46 Re:

2014-06-12 07:20

Choose a nickname

#47 Subject

2014-06-13 08:42

The council should use this opportunity to drive development for family housing. The high density student housing proposal will inevitably drive high numbers of new cars into the area with a deliberate policy of not providing parking leading to increased parking problems and disputes. As others have suggested, there is a lot of space at the university where students might actually be more sensibly housed.

2014-06-14 06:26

Newbridge is a family area with lots of children and large student accommodation is not suitable from the point students do make more noise and are likely to disturb the local neighbourhood when coming back from student campus or town late at night.

Apart from the noise, there is limited parking on the site and the majority of students have cars, which will need to be parked in local roads which are already full.

The student accommodation will have a detrimental effect on house prices in the local area.

#49 Dangerous entrance

2014-06-15 19:02

The entrance for cars from Newbridge Road is near the bend and also opposite the entrance to the road the school is long. This looks very dangerous especially on school days.

At quieter times when cars are moving a the local speed limit, a car turning right or pulling out is likely to get hit.
living opposite

2014-06-26 14:25

Residential housing is also bought up for buy to let anyway. Multiple occuption/more cars etc Better that students are housed in high density custom built accommodation than ruining residential living and unecessarily taking up family housing. This is the real blight of Bath. High rental value makes buy to let very profitable and pushes up house prices for the young. As the housing crisis deepens they will be fewer and fewer options. As Boris said recently to Londoners - you can have high rise or green field destruction. Which?