Hands Off Hartlebury Common

steve mccarron

/ #39 CLIMATE CHANGE SANDY DRY SOIL FIRE RISK!!

2011-06-09 23:15

Absolutley no provision has been made for climate change, so please read this addressed to Hereford and Worcester Fire service

To whoever it may concern

I have just been watching the news on television and have seen the huge fires on Dorset Heathland.

I am a Hartlebury resident and use Hartlebury Common often.

You probably are aware of the fire at the common, not last weekend but the weekend before.

http://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/news/9049955.Hartlebury_Common_fire___latest/

What you may not be aware of is the intention by WCC to cut down 45% of the existing predominant woodland and trees there.

My concern, apart from any significant changes made to the common, is that by re-introducing, or introducing much larger amounts of heath and scrub, the same
vegetation as on the Dorset heath, fires may be a more devastating and regular occurrence.

I cite these reasons for an increased risk of fires and danger therein

Reduction of deciduous tree cover. The ground below these trees is less likely to catch fire as it tends to be damp mulch and leaf mould.

Reduction of deciduous tree cover. These trees create shade not just below but across and around the common, helping the vegetation, scrub and ground to retain moisture.

Reduction of open spaces which are not colonized by either trees or heath. these spaces are to be encouraged to develop as heathland, reducing the natural fire breaks that exist there at present.

The pine tree plantation and adjacent deciduous plantations are to be removed. These currently act as a barrier against fires that spread along the ground. Currently these plantations separate a significant section of the common.

Most significantly, Hartlebury common is a tinder box. We are experiencing the driest spring since 1910. Vast swathes of gorse are dead or dying across the top of the common, prone to arson or accidental ignition.

We now have longer, drier periods of drought, the worst case scenario for heathland and yet climate change has not been considered in the plans of the council. To make matters worse, they intend to have cattle within the fenced common.

Because of these factors, I feel that for the first time, secondary fires to adjacent land and property is a real possibility.

Hartlebury Common will always be at risk of fire, my fear is that the nature and risks of future fires could be devastating within this populated place.

Apart from consultation for the emergency vehicle access, were you asked to provide a risk assessment as part of the heathland restoration?