NO MORE POISONING IN DAHAB!

Quoted post

Sharaf

#24 Give the poisoners a realistic alternative option, don't just complain!

2011-04-09 13:00

People don't spend money on poison and bait because they are cruel human beings, they are trying to deal with a problem at their own expense in the only way that they know.

I agree poisoning is cruel, I am a dog lover and owner myself but what is the proposed long-term solution in Dahab when the vet will not put to sleep unwanted animals? Countries that impound and euthanaze stray dogs through national policies still have major problems with the explosion of stray dogs especially in tourist areas where they are fed, 'adopted' and put back on the streets.

Any solution has to include local people and not be primarily foreigner-driven and will inevitably involve the humane destruction of these unwanted domestic animals unless they are left to become wild and a threat to humans and their livestock through disease and direct attacks. Many foreigners in Dahab leave their 'pets' to openly roam the streets, causing them to become an public annoyance and have no respect for the religion or culture of local people but attack them for trying their best to control what they perceive to be a major problem. In any European country, dogs left to stray would be routinely confiscated and put to sleep. The 'dog-adopters' then leave after a year and have no consideration for the trauma experienced by a pet by turfing it out on the streets (or even worse, the dreaded dog-wadi!). Dogs are not accessories and you're not doing them a favour taking them in for a year and giving them a 'home' with an irresponsible foreigner who will only leave and add to the stray dog problem themselves.

If you bother to buy a lead and collar, walk your dog regularly, pay for your pet to be spayed and vaccinated and commit to taking it with you when you leave Dahab, even if it costs you a over 1000USD maybe you could be then classified as an animal-lover and people would listen to you seriously. Maybe some of the 'dog lovers' in Dahab need to look in their own backyards before criticizing local people who are trying to deal with a problem foisted on them by foreigners coming to live in their area and force upon them their own quite twisted values.

Don't let Dahab lose its appeal as a tourist destination (and escalate inter-cultural tensions) with packs of dogs spreading disease to local children and attacking people's livestock - let's get rid of this problem now and the only way is to destroy unwanted animals humanely and enforce responsible dog ownership for the animals that remain and are adopted for life not on a whim!!

Replies

me

#27 Re: Give the poisoners a realistic alternative option, don't just complain!

2011-04-10 10:01:22

illusionist

#32 Re: Give the poisoners a realistic alternative option, don't just complain!

2011-04-16 15:52:58

#24: Sharaf - Give the poisoners a realistic alternative option, don't just complain!

Dear Sharaf and dear Selma,

I´m sure both of you are right, - someone had to start searching for solution.... and the "dahabians of egyptian origin" didn´t seem to do so  (I´m sure both of you agree that cruelty and poisoning is NOT the solution)  but also true, as sharaf said.... there won´t be a longtime and sufficient way without minding fears culture etc. of the locals....

Sharaf, - be the first local to join, - bring your friend, bring you thoughts, - be the bridge and make the start.

- All of us agree that wannabe-animallovers and  once a week animal-lovers won´t help or rather make it worse, - no use blaming the whole problem on western people or tourism only ... but also no use in discussing who brings the money ....  the problem exists and a humane and lasting solution is needed, and on this point we all agree again.

I think both of you on one table to discuss would be the best option to get a realistic longtime solution, - for example a neutering programme the locals will accept and support, and education on both sides... how to treat animals and how to respect oneanother.

Get together, - easiest chance to do so : 21.4, 7:30 pm, join the awd meeting and share your thoughts, you are very welcome !!!