Keep the obligation to provide allotments for those who need them

Quoted post

Homer

2011-04-27 14:48

I have no problems with Allotments as long as they are sited with a little thought for those who do not want them on their doorstep.Our Parish Council wish to put them feet away from Residents bedroom windows yet we live in a Rural location with an abundance of unused land.We found other land for the Association but they do not want it. Reasons not given the owner of the land wanted £80 per annum for a full size Allotment.Due to this out of date legislation they know they can get heavily funded by Taxpayers money. You have to ask do they really want Allotments.

Replies

timx

#11 Re:

2011-05-02 14:04:36

#3: Homer -

Allotment land is harder to find in rural areas than in most urban areas. Land-owners in rural areas are reluctant to let go of any land.  They make more money by setting up expensive private schemes which are often in the wrong place.  In my rural village, surrounded by farmland, much of it unused or underused, I tried to start an allotment scheme for the Parish within easy reach of the primary school and it proved impossible, yet expensive private schemes have sprung up in areas where you need a car to reach them. They charge for the allotment, and for the fencing to go round each plot which they insist on, and for maintenance of the site.  In another part of the country, my daughter has a local authority allotment which costs her £5 per year.  Local Authorities need to keep existing and add new allotment areas.