Petition to Allow Wausau West Master Singers to Sing

Quoted post

2013-10-06 04:23

Should atheists be forced to sing religious songs because they want and have the ability to be in the highest choir rank at their high school? No.
Should the singers be forced to ignore the entire religious basis of music? No.

That being said...I also don't think Buch should be able pick out his favorites to showcase. A music program with 400+ students should showcase more than 30 people in the Pop Concert.

In my opinion, the whole system is broken--and before you can fix the religious aspect of this--you have got to control Buch. Buch handpicks the songs--you know that, right?--you also know that he is the Faculty Advisor for the school's Bible Club, right?...this correlation is no coincidence. The problem is coming from within--it isn't religion (or lack there of) itself. It is Buch.

You know who didn't eff things up with politics of family and picking favorites? Rico Jaeger. He gave kids a shot who never were given a second look. Gave me a solo at the Grand Theater the same year I was turned down for Concert Chorale. In the week following my solo, Buch offered me a spot in his little club and I turned him down because I didn't think it was fair to get in because I was suddenly good enough for him.

My brother and sister were both more talented musicians than me--never got their chance at Pop Concert even though my brother was in various local bands with a decent following--and my sister sang solos in musicals and other events. Buch didn't care for or didn't know my parents well enough to give a damn. If your last name doesn't fit his agenda--have fun playing third wheel to Buch politics.

Fix Buch, spread the culture around, and you have a legitimate unbiased program. Until then, the kids using his program are suffering--whether they are his prized possessions or the dirt he sweeps under the rug.

Replies

#23 Re:

2013-10-06 06:15:01

#19: -

Just so you know Mr. Buch chooses literature from all different aspects of cultures and religion.  The only reason that Christian songs apear is because they were composed by the great! Handle, Bach, Motzart and many more. The fact is that these songs were composed in a time era when the church had control over everything.  So of course the songs will be about God and Jesus.  Its called history. Those peices are what music really is.  Take them for the what the musical aspect is.  Thats what Mr. Buch does.  As a student of his I have never once felt religion pushed on me. It sickens me that people such as yourself are singling him out for doing the best job that he can do.

I would also like to point out that if you understood anything about how Mr. Buch works you would understand that he is infact the mostfair and honest person in the world.  The master singers is a group compiled of musicians that quite frankly have to be musically inclined.  Its not a group that he can take chances with and its also not a group nessesarily made from the best.  Im sure that there are plenty of great singers who didnt make it into the group.  Not because they are bad but maybe they couldnt learn the songs quickly (thats a nessesity in master singers)  or maybe they had a unique tone that didnt blend well with other voices. Blending is what master singers is all about so I would say thats important.  As a current member of master singers I can honestly say I was shocked by Buchs decision this year as far as who made it in the group and who didnt.  But after practicing and hearing the blend it all makes sense now! He is a very wise and respected man who deserves more than this garbage that your throwing at him.  To me it sounds like you are jelous because he didnt see your "talent" the first time you sang "My Country Tis' of Thee" for him.

As far as the pop concert goes, maybe your siblings didnt get in cause they werent good enouph.  Just because they are in a band who happens to be followed by a bunch of tone deaf teenages doesnt qualify them as a good singer or musician.  I am quite confident that I am a good singer and Im not just saying that but i have infact earned that title because I have performed in competitions that real musicians attend who have their doctoret in music and I have left them speechless.  But I didnt make it in the pop concert... does this automatically mean Buch was unfair?... NO! It means I didnt make the cut.  It means others were better than me. It means Buch was trying to make the program the best that it could be and not pick favorites.  Every year the people who attend the pop concert have never been let down.  Thats because he chooses only the best.  Because he has done that he not only brings the comunity together but he also has brought PBS in to do a documentry on the program this year!  He has worked hard for what he has accomplished.

I really hope you will give the guy a second look because he has changed my life for the better. And its because of him that Im excited to come to school every day.  Please dont limit that because you didnt have the opportunity that others had.  Life isnt fair.

Choose a nickname

#63 Re:

2013-10-06 18:58:50

I'm sorry- I don't want to be rude, but did you write this post in seriousness? You seriously think the program needs to be fixed because you and your siblings didn't get your way in high school? Wow. You must have a very high opinion of yourself if you think the program is broken because you and your sliblings weren't included in the Pop Concert and Master Singers. I participated in the Wausau West music program for three years and don't deny that there were politics involved. But Concert Chorale and Mr. Buch have resumes that simply cannot be denied. The man clearly knows what he is doing. And by the way, I'm saying all of this as someone who auditioned for Concert Chorale twice and never made it.

If you need a reminder about the accolades of this program, read this (from http://www.dciny.org/2013-season-archives/monday-january-21-2013-archive.html):

The 75 voice Concert Chorale is one of nine music ensembles available to students at Wausau West High School. This award winning ensemble has received national and international recognition and has been a guest performer at choral festivals in Vienna, Austria; Verona, Italy and most recently Prague, the capital city of the Czech Republic. In 2010 the choir was recorded by Wisconsin Public Television for a special presentation titled, "Wisconsin Sings." The Wausau West Concert Chorale was thrilled to accepted the invitation from DCINY and participate in this performance of "The Armed Man" by Karl Jenkins.

Phillip Buch has been a music educator for the past 36 years in the state of Wisconsin. During his tenure, the joy of singing has been instilled into the lifestyles of thousands of students, who now as adults, are advocates and ambassadors for choral music education in school districts throughout the country. Buch firmly believes that the study of music is vital to every student's education and core to a well balanced curriculum. In 1985, the Wausau School district awarded him Teacher of the Year. In 1993, he received the Senator Herb Kohl Fellowship and, in 1998, he was honored as recipient of the John L. Cook Memorial presented by the Wausau Area Chamber of Commerce. Most recently, in March 2010, he was chosen by the Wausau Daily Herald as one of the 50 Most Influential People of the Decade in the greater Wausau area. Under his leadership, choral music at Wausau West has developed a high standard of excellence. The program is respected and appreciated in Wausau and throughout the state of Wisconsin.

#80 Re:

2013-10-07 01:27:10

Sorry but I dont agree.... I have meet Mr. Buch and he seems like a very fair mind person.  Don't bad mouth him because you didn't like him and his choice in religion.  A man of faith may be something that can be admired not deminished because you dont care for him as a teacher.  In all my years in Wausau you are seriously the only student I have every heard had an issue wiith Mr. Buch.  Sad very sad!!! I will agree about Rico Jeager... top notch!!!

#89 I am not even fully aware of the situation

2013-10-07 05:25:41

I am not even fully aware of the situation with Phil Buch ( who happens to be a family friend for the last 40 years) as I am no longer in Wausau.  But I must say that reading your comment had me chuckling (because I know Phil so well) and the first thing I thought of was "sour grapes" just from the tone of your letter......then I read #23's comment below and felt totally exonerated of my first opinion. You know that NO one take sour grapes seriously right?????  I will take it seriously thought to pray for you!!!

Sherlock

#105 Re:

2013-10-08 00:56:02

#19: - We know its you Isaac haha

#110 Re:

2013-10-08 14:13:41

Bitter? Sounds like you didn't make the cut and are blaming Mr. Buch. As with any competition, there will be some people that just don't make it, one of lifes hard lessons, deal with it. Mr. Buch has done an outstanding job for many years. I have listened to the Master Singers many times and they are absolutely amazing. I think all of us know the content of the Master Singers performance and if the music offended you, you shouldn't have tried anyway. Shame on you for putting the blame where it doesn't belong.

#138 Re:

2013-10-10 14:23:36

GO SEE A SHRINK! SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE THE ONE WHO THINKS YOUR'E BETTER THAN THE REST.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2013-10-10 17:00:27